• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

T5 lighting problem

lurcher

need your advice please.i have a large planted tank with two T5 tubes clipped to a simple cover,I want to buy a unit that clips on to the two side panes of glass fitted with two T5 tubes,exactly like the led units that are widely used and have extending arms for different size tanks.my problem is that theT5 unit fits onto a 3 foot tank with adjustment of 2” to 3’2”,my tank is 39inches wide so the unit would be one inch short,I can’t find a larger unit and I don’t really want to buy aLED unit with adjustable arms because I think that they look too bright and worry that they would encourage algae,I am happy with T5 lighting.any ideas on how I could fit theT5unit to the glass sides by making up for that extra one inch over would be gratefully received. Tank= LENGTH 39 inches x width16 inches x height x26 inches.T5light unit =36 inches with a 2 inch adjustment to 38 inches. Thank You.

Hi @lurcher, you mentioned that a LED would be too bright and I assume you considered using a dimmer. Any reason why you decided to stick with T5's? Just asking to learn about the differences / preferences.

Regards
Michael

T5''s are a trusted way to light tanks, quite cheap to buy and a very real option. LED''s can be great, and maybe cheaper in running costs, but in my mind there are to many cowboys/sharks in the market selling inferior LED quality for premium prices ( though that seems to become less prevalent).

Hi Michael ,I don’t like led ,they just seem too harsh ,I can get different t5 tubes which give me a larger variety of colour in my tank ,ie softer overall display etc.led just doesn’t do it for me always seems to give Stark tank lighting,probably just me.

Hi @lurcher, fair enough. You need to have lights which show your tank in the colour / intensity etc which appeals to you the most. That's kind of one of the main priorities. And no, its not just you - many people have a desire for softer lighting, not stark. The T5's are certainly a low cost option and you can always explore other options later if your needs change. Enjoy your search and if you do go ahead with a DIY solution, it would be useful to other members if you were to post pics and details on the forum.

Good luck and, most importantly, have fun!

Regards
Michael

Back