• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Matt's 64 litre dwarf puffer low teck tank

Was never quite happy with the aquascape for this tank.... anyway, I stripped it down today... Will share the new scape photos tomorrow!

Inhabitants are 6 dwarf puffers, 2 khuli poached, 2 otocinclus, 2 glass shrimp.
Previously plants were vallis, dwarf sag, and buces... though this is about to change!!

No CO2
Previously no fertilisation
Internal filter, and heater
64 litre tank
1fa92959ec3ea2c2234747954c44dec6.jpg
d89a879c2ab124b98372dfc84fbb2d3e.jpg

Much happier now

I've shamelessly tried to replicate a George Farmer scape from a few years ago. The NA 65cm. I'll post separately.
410f60e8dba5c3cd3029df37903df9f4.jpg
272cd947d0e2e447b7a0feb940c918d8.jpg

Great effort, the scape looks great :thumbup:

Nice simple scape!

Same question about puffers, I've got an 60liters tank low tech in which they could be happy...but I'm afraid of their behaviour.

@Dadofthree @CooKieS

I have 6 in this 64 litre tank, though I meant to get 5! A super tiny guy made it into the bag at my LFS and the sales person didn't think it would survive. I run off the rule... 20 litres for first puffer and 10 for each subsequent one. I don't see any aggression between them at all. They do need a tank which breaks line of sight and will satisfy their inquisitive minds. I think I was also quite lucky that i have mainly females. They also don't need snails to keep their beaks trimmed like some sites report... They get on well with the loaches and otocinclus. They are widely known to get on with otos, the loaches are similar in that they are not free swimming community fish as such, they are also not like say cories which sit more in the open and are more active swimmers. The shrimp are a male and female which have bred a few times, though the shrimplets have never survived... yet. I had cherry shrimp in there a while back which I removed and about a month later found a little cherry shrimp in the tank so it is clearly possible, just not likely. I would absolutely never put them with a schooling community fish, (once saw an oto uncharacteristically hover in mid water briefly and the puffer immediatley showed an interest) but carefully chosen tank mates such as these can work just fine. Hope that helps!

Back