• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish choice for my scape

If going with Amano shrimp bear in mind that they do not breed in freshwater nd so it depends if you want to try and go for a self sustaining cherry shrimp population or a set number of Amanos.

Actually I was looking to add both. I am aware that Amano can only breed in saline water but wanted to add some diversity in the shrimp population. It also gives me the opportunity to learn about their behavior. Would that be ok?

If it is a pest snail problem which it sounds like it is then I would be trying to get on top of it ASAP, keep picking out as many as you can by hand and as @tam says a trap of some kind will help too. Also look into a product called Esha Gastropex which is fish and shrimp safe if you need a product to use with livestock, they do recommend not using any not using any water conditioners too which is easy if there's no livestock. Just read what Esha have said below about how it works and removing dead snails.

From Esha:
'ESHa Gastropex is shrimp safe but be carefull with too many dead snails. Shrimp eat a lot of dead waste and the snails contain eSHa Gastropex, If the shrimps then eat it, it is not so good for them. So try to remove as much snails before, during and after treatment and if you see any changes in behavior stop treatment and do a large water change. Please do not use any waterconditioners in your tank, if you did, do a large water change before treatment. Waterconditioners can influence the product.
Yes, eSHa Gastropex contains Copper.
Kind regards,
Nikki'

Also a link to the product page.
https://www.eshalabs.eu/english/products/esha-gastropex.html

Thanks. I was also recommended to add some dwarf puffers to take care of the snails but the issue is that they can be nippy.

Actually I was looking to add both. I am aware that Amano can only breed in saline water but wanted to add some diversity in the shrimp population. It also gives me the opportunity to learn about their behavior. Would that be ok?
No problem mixing them at all!

Thanks. I was also recommended to add some dwarf puffers to take care of the snails but the issue is that they can be nippy.
Green spotted puffer and figure of 8 puffer are that bit bigger and will gobble those snails up but will very likely nip other fish.
Dwarf puffer I think it's down to the character of the fish; I know one friend who had them fine with other fish (not planted) but also wouldn't touch the snails and you also read of them nipping at everything. I think it's down to the individual character of the fish

snails feed on dead plant matter, some algae and leftover fish food. They use up to 90% of what they eat, that is extremely efficient. So wen there is enough food their numbers can expend rapidly. Keeping your tank clean and don't overfeed your fish is the best way to keep them under control.

puffers are no suitable companions for gouramis

snails feed on dead plant matter, some algae and leftover fish food. They use up to 90% of what they eat, that is extremely efficient. So wen there is enough food their numbers can expend rapidly. Keeping your tank clean and don't overfeed your fish is the best way to keep them under control.

puffers are no suitable companions for gouramis

I have no fish currently in the tank as it is cycling, so I am not adding any food. Plus I am doing daily water changes. I was told to do 50% to 80% water changes everyday. Snails are still thriving though. I think it is because of the expected partial melting of the plants that is happening since the setup.

Hi
I am one of those that actually like snails.I find them usefull to have.And thats not only as food to my 5 SAP puffers.The most timmed of all puffers I keep them with amano shrimp with no issues.But yes it is to the individual fish personality with all puffers.
I even had s snail colony going in 22l tank.Even with 300+snails they did almost no damage to plants.And boy that tank grew plants like crazy with all them in.Plus was that I can put algae infected Buce and Anubias and will have them spotlessly clean in 24h even from BBA.
I have used Esha Gastropex in past with almost no success whatsoever even in higher dose.
There is a product called No Planaria from Genchem that will kill them but be carefull from ammonia spike if U have high snail numbers
Regards Konsa

Hi all,
I am one of those that actually like snails.I find them usefull to have.
I'm a snail fan as well. I'm a bit limited with those that ,<"I can keep"> because of using rain-water in the tanks.

You can see some shell erosion on the Ramshorns and MTS in the <"Lumbriculus"> video.

I think you can always control snails by trapping if you feel the need to.

cheers Darrel

I don’t mind snails but would be nice if they didn’t reproduce that much ;). Here is today’s hand picked catch:
ca39e58b6a94395b47df620a9469fc2c.jpg

Hi
I am one of those that actually like snails.I find them usefull to have.

They are! Since they are so efficient they are the best cleaning crew.

Snails are still thriving though. I think it is because of the expected partial melting of the plants that is happening since the setup

I think your right, once the plants are growing fine and you added the shrimp I think they will become more manageable

I just wanted to give an update and share my experience so far.

I added all livestock 5 days ago and so far so good. I had one fatality yesterday, an otocinclus. Not sure of the reason why he died even after a close examination of the fish. I am keeping a close eye on the tank see if anything is out of order but so far all seems ok. So here is what I have added:

1 - Trichopodus leerii or commonly known as Pearl gouramis * 3 (1 males, two females)
2 - Trigonostigma heteromorpha or commonly known as Harlequin rasbora * 25
3 - Otocinclus macrospilus or commonly known as oto * 15 (-1)
4 - Neocaridina davidi or commonly knows are Cherry shrimp (fire red) * 60
5 - Caridina multidentata or commonly knows as Yamato or Amano shrimp * 10
6 - Caridina gracilirostris or commonly known as Red nosed shimp or Pinocchio shrimp * 24*
7 - Gobiopterus chuno or commonly knows as Glass Goby * 2 (these were an impulse purchase reason why I only got 2. Wanted to see how they behaved with the other fishes)
8 - Clea Helena snails or commonly knows assassin snails * 3 (small sized)

That would amount to 44 fishes and 94 shrimps. I opted to get more shrimps that I had originally planned as I am predicting some fatalities along the away and I know that amano shrimps will eventually die without descendance. As for the the red nosed shrimps I go them as they do seem to have a different personality which I liked.

All fish and shrimps are either bred locally/regionally (otocinclus, cherry shrimps, amano shrimps) or are indigenous to Thailand and also breed (Pearl gourami, Harlequin rasbora, Glass goby and red nosed shimp).

I let the algae proliferate by not changing the water for a few days prior adding all livestock. This was intentional so there would be enough available food for fish and shrimp without my intervention for a couple of days. That was a good idea as the tank is now close to being free of any visible algae.

I will be changing 30%/40% water every 4/5 day for the next few weeks then dial that down to a weekly basis or less depending on how the tanks goes. I still have lots of tanins from the substrate and wood but don't want to add activated carbon as it will raise the PH and I don't want that.

I have learned a lot in just a few weeks and still got a lot to learn. This community has been great so I would like to thank everyone that has helped me and given sensible advise.

Here is a short video and picture of the tank with the new stand (90*45*100) that was custom made from rubber wood. If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate.

Overall view

Algae comparison close-up after 4 days of adding livestock

Gobiopterus chuno

Tank and stand
IMG_9965.JPG IMG_9988.JPG

Last edited:
Hi
U can have Purigen to clear the tannins.It is really effective if U not comfortable putting carbon in.Tbh its the first time I have heard it will increase PH and Im not convinced that is the truth
Regards Konsa

Hi
U can have Purigen to clear the tannins.It is really effective if U not comfortable putting carbon in.Tbh its the first time I have heard it will increase PH and Im not convinced that is the truth
Regards Konsa

Well the activated carbon I put in the filter before I did the scape a few weeks ago clearly raised the PH significantly. Initially I was unsure but after dropping a handful of AC in some clear water and testing the water every 10 min or so I could see the PH rise quite dramatically. That's why I stopped using it as it was a constant battle of trying to make the PH stable. Might be that the AC I bought was chemically treated.

I will see if I can source some Purigen here in Thailand although I have the feeling it will be expensive due to import taxes.

Activated carbon can effect the pH, depending on the type of carbon ( source material and activation process). It is an initial effect, but can be quite extreme and effect over 600 times its own volume. Activated carbon sold for water treatment or aquariums is usually treated to prevent serious effects on pH.

Activated carbon can effect the pH, depending on the type of carbon ( source material and activation process). It is an initial effect, but can be quite extreme and effect over 600 times its own volume. Activated carbon sold for water treatment or aquariums is usually treated to prevent serious effects on pH.

Yes there is actually two main ways of converting carbon/charcoal to activated carbon. There is the physical way or the chemical way the latter usually using either strong base or strong acids or even salts. I suspect the AC I bought was done with a base as the PH kept rising. It was not a brand name so highly possible it was not fish safe but was purchased in a fish store... Go figure!

Yes there is actually two main ways of converting carbon/charcoal to activated carbon. There is the physical way or the chemical way the latter usually using either strong base or strong acids or even salts. I suspect the AC I bought was done with a base as the PH kept rising. It was not a brand name so highly possible it was not fish safe but was purchased in a fish store... Go figure!

Probably someone who figured he could make some money on cheaper carbon...

Your tank looks really nice and healthy!:clap: And so do the fish.:thumbup: The Trigonostigma look a bit like T. espei to me.. but hard to see in the video.

I'm curious how the Gobiopterus will do, when they turn up in the European trade they are usually in very poor condition so I never kept them, despite the fact it think they are awesome little fish.

Back