• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After the Move

Hi all,
I get the impression that aquascaping in Poland is alot bigger than in the UK,
I think you are right. There are a lot of really good fish keepers in Poland, I used to correspond with a <"couple of Polish Apistogramma breeders">.

I don't know if it is because Germany and the Czech Republic are next door to Poland, but they are also countries where the hobby is big and there are a lot of fish producers etc.

cheers Darrel

I have always found Germans to spend a lot more money on their hobbies, it being fish, plants, reptiles, amfibia, orchids etc etc. Always a bigger selection over there.

20190208_204354.jpg

Quick update,
Plants are growing well. I decided today to plant the path today with a monte carlo and hair grass, going for a mixed carpet. I got sick of trying to suck the colombo substrate that gets moved around by a hourly basis by the corys.

My pygmy Cory's have also decided that there nocturnal only coming out if I do a big water change. Shame as there is a shoal of 12 of them.

Carpet is doing better but still slow, I'm still struggling to get the co2 to the carpet with this hardscape setup, I also had my light too far back so it was getting very little light. I've got a new glass return pipe coming and will try moving them arround.

Hi all,
My pygmy Cory's have also decided that there nocturnal only coming out if I do a big water change. Shame as there is a shoal of 12 of them.
Feed them some micro-worms, they really like them and will spend a lot of time in view energetically hoovering them up.

Micro-worms are <"very low maintenance"> live food.

cheers Darrel

Feed them some micro-worms, they really like them and will spend a lot of time in view energetically hoovering them up.

Micro-worms are <"very low maintenance"> live food.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the tip i'll give it a go, it looks alot less hassle than breeding Daphnia or artemis, I've got some baby pepperd corys that i imagine will also enjoy them
Is ebay the cheapest place to buy a starter culture?

Hi all,
Is ebay the cheapest place to buy a starter culture?
Should be able to find some on ebay. It doesn't matter whether they are sold as Banana-worms, Walter-worms or Micro-worms, they are all cultured the same way and eaten by the same fish.

Banana-worm are meant to be slightly smaller and more prolific.

cheers Darrel

My pygmy Cory's have also decided that there nocturnal only coming out if I do a big water change.

They love a lot of cover, mine were most of the time all together in the same back left corner of the tank. Than occasionaly 1 or 2 decided to school around a bit with the Tetras than dive into the dense planted corner again with the others. Was quite an uncomfortable corner for me to watch, but when i did i noticed them also beeing active during the day, just not in the open that much.

btw that's very beautifull water garden... :thumbup:

The tank could generally do with a little more TLC I'll trim the ludwigia repens when I get chance and stop it taking over.
I gave the carpet a trim last week so it's not looking it's best.

Be great to really boast the reds, Does anyone adjust EI ratios to do this?
IMG_1796-1.jpg
IMG_180-12.jpg
IMG_1799-1.jpg

PS it's amazing the difference in the colours between running a RGBW light and a 6500k budget floodlight

Hi all,
Be great to really boast the reds, Does anyone adjust EI ratios to do this?
Have a look at <"Whats the secret to keeping...">

You could try reducing the amount of KNO3 you add.

If the plants have less chlorophyll they may appear redder. The problem is that if you up light intensity, and reduce nutrient levels, other issues may appear.

cheers Darrel

In case you missed Filipe Oliveira discussing fertilizer regime
(as I recall he also mentions reds)

Back