• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Slow growth of plants

furet12330

Seedling
Hello,

I hope I write in the right category. If not, please excuse me.

I registered here because I have a problem with plant growth. I use the ADA method and my tank has three months.

Here are the features of my tank :

Tank : Rio 180l
Light : 4x28watts (2 Juwel Hight Lite Day and 2 JBL Solar Tropic)
Filtration : JBL Crista Profi 701e
CO2 : Yes (only during the day, 2 bubbles by seconds, JBL Proflora Direct diffuseur)
Ferts : 5ml ADA Green Brighty Mineral per day and 5 ml Green Brighty neutral K per day
Substrate : Amazonia aqua soil
Plants : Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba
Heteranthera Zosterifolia
Ammania sp Bonzai
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Bacopa Monnieri
Hygrophila Rosae Australis
Rotala Macrandra Japan
Cabomba aquatica
pogostemon helferi
pogostemon stellata
Fish : 10 japonica (amano), 10 otocinclus and 10 paracheirodon innessi
water : Ph : 6,4
KH : 4
GH: 6
NO2: 0
NO3: 0
PO4 : 0
K : 20

I change water every week 30 liters. 20 litres with osmose and 10 litres with tap water.

More than two months after starting, my plants don’t grow. I have followed the ADA method and I would like to continue to use it but I don’t understand what I did wrong

I put pictures to show you the state of my plants.

Do you have any advice for me on how to solve this problem?

Thank you very much

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_220828.jpg
    IMG_20190209_220828.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20190209_210758.jpg
    IMG_20190209_210758.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20190119_144452.jpg
    IMG_20190119_144452.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 122
  • img_2013.jpg
    img_2013.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20190211_203523.jpg
    IMG_20190211_203523.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 120
What time ar your lights and you CO2 on? ( from when to when?)
Do you have an electronic pH device so you can do a pH profile?
Ferts look lean.

my lights are on from 2:30 PM to 10:00 PM
my CO2 is on from 1:30 PM to 21:30 PM
I don't have an elecronic pH device. I test Ph with drops and with a drop checker
for fertilisation I follow the recommendations of ADA : for the first month, 5ml /day Green Brighty Mineral. For the second month, 5ml/day Green Brighty Minireal and 5ml de Green Brighty neutral K.

Rebel, it's not dangerous ? My KH is 4, my PH is 6.4. Won’t the PH go down dangerously?
With this concentration, the Co2 level is 51. It is not already raised?

You probably need to think about dosing nitrogen, phosphate and micro nutrients. How would you feel about this? I know there are lots of nutrients in the Amazonia, but you also need to bear in mind that phosphate, calcium, molybdenum and magnesium will be at medium availability in accordance with the slightly acidic conditions of your tank water.

Won’t the PH go down dangerously?
Please stop worrying about the pH, when it is the result of CO2 being dissolved, these swings don't matter to the fish.High dose CO2 will suffocate them before the pH will bother them You're plants on the other hand can't get enough CO2.

so if I summarize, I need to increase CO2 and bring nitrogen
Is nitrogen present in Green Brighty nitrogen fertilizer?
I test this for three weeks and watch what happens ;)

Hi all,
My KH is 4, my PH is 6.4. Won’t the PH go down dangerously?With this concentration, the Co2 level is 51. It is not already raised?
You can't use the dKH ~ CO2 ~ pH chart to estimate the CO2 content of the tank water.

It only works for <"the drop checker">, this is because only CO2 that can enter it (as a gas through the air gap) and then you have a low range pH indicator (bromothymol blue) and a solution of exactly 4dKH.
I have followed the ADA method and I would like to continue to use it but I don’t understand what I did wrong
You probably haven't done anything wrong, the thing with fertilisers is that every single K+, or NO3- ion, is exactly the same in solution, they don't know <"what compound or formulation they have come from">.

There are in the region of seventeen nutrients that are required for plant growth, the ("<essential nutrients>")

I'd try @Simon Cole's suggestion, a complete nutrient mix.

cheers Darrel

Green Brighty Mineral is trace elements
Green Brighty neutral K is potassium.
Your plants need nitrogen and phosphorus in addition.
A 'complete' fertilser is convenient, and cheaper than using lots of different products.
Or you can buy the powdered salts and mix your own, there are discussions on the forum about the best way to do that.
Then you need to balance the CO2 with the ferts. An electronic pH pen is very useful and a cheap one is good enough. Look for the threads on 'pH profile'.
hth

Green Brighty Mineral is trace elements
Green Brighty neutral K is potassium.
Your plants need nitrogen and phosphorus in addition.
A 'complete' fertilser is convenient, and cheaper than using lots of different products.
Or you can buy the powdered salts and mix your own, there are discussions on the forum about the best way to do that.
Then you need to balance the CO2 with the ferts. An electronic pH pen is very useful and a cheap one is good enough. Look for the threads on 'pH profile'.
hth

Yes my plants need nitrogen. For the moment I have not used it because the method of fertilisation of ADA indicates to put it only after the fourth month.
But given the results and your advice, I’m gonna start putting green Brighty nitrogen. For the phospohore, I think ADA does not contain any in its new range of fertilizers.
ok for the probe PH I will inquire.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
ADA indicates after 4th month? So maybe you photoperiod needs reducing? Plant demand for nutrients because of photoperiod, you could reduce photo periood and see what happens

Back