• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY wood

Hi all,
There are a few places the main void has channels through to the outside of the wood and can just see the shrimp loving it in there and making a mess I can't get at easily.
It doesn't matter, even if you have xylophagous fish (like Panaque spp.) that process a huge amount of wood it isn't actually very polluting.

It is to do with the, <"BOD concept">, basically wood is almost entirely composed of structural carbohydrates with a very high carbon to nitrogen ratio. Hard wood is almost entirely lignified, and lignin is extremely resistant to decay.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It doesn't matter, even if you have xylophagous fish (like Panaque spp.) that process a huge amount of wood it isn't actually very polluting.

It is to do with the, <"BOD concept">, basically wood is almost entirely composed of structural carbohydrates with a very high carbon to nitrogen ratio. Hard wood is almost entirely lignified, and lignin is extremely resistant to decay.

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel,
I'd meant more their waste.

Hi all,
I'd meant more their waste.
That's it, the little pellets the shrimps produce are pretty much the inert matter left that they can't derive any more nutrition from.

The shrimps like the void (it offers cover) and will pick at any fungi or softened wood.

There will be some ammonia continually diffusing from their gills, but the shrimps will contribute little to the bioload, because the detritus and algae they are feeding on has very little in the way of sugars and proteins. Proteins are metabolised to ammonia, sugars will promote bacterial growth and both these processes reduce levels of oxygen.

That is where the BOD concept is really useful when you add an organic decor item (wood, leaves, seed pods etc) to the tank. I would research any suggestions of toxicity, but after that you just have to think about the sugar and protein content. If you aren't sure, you can look at rates of decomposition.

There is a much more complete explanation in the PlanetCatfish <"Wood for Tanks"> link.

cheers Darrel

That's it, the little pellets the shrimps produce are pretty much the inert matter left that they can't derive any more nutrition from.
Thanks for the info Darrel,
On account the wood has been soaking for a month and is still just like a bouyancy aid I think i might still pack the main part of the void vith a silicone/gravel mix to help weigh it down and the shrimp will still have plenty of cover in the channels, nooks and crannies along with the java ferns.

By far ignoring your information and have taken it on board, this is more about helping to keep it weighed down.
I think it may take quite some time for this to become saturated.

Hi all,
On account the wood has been soaking for a month and is still just like a bouyancy aid I think i might still pack the main part of the void vith a silicone/gravel mix to help weigh it down and the shrimp will still have plenty of cover in the channels, nooks and crannies along with the java ferns.
That should work.

If just want a very quick DIY fix you can wedge a water worked, rounded, pebble in the void.

The really useful thing about spherical pebbles and cobbles is that you don't need to try and work out what type of rock they are, basically it is only really hard rock that forms rounded pebbles, and any really hard rock won't effect water chemistry.

cheers Darrel

I bought a book on Aquarium plants many years ago and there was a section in it covering the construction of artificial backgrounds.
It involved laying the tank on its back and spraying Polyurethane foam onto it. After the foam dried it could be carved to a realistic shape and it was then covered in Epoxy resin and the sand or gravel of your choice could be applied. Once it was all dry it was claimed to be perfectly safe for fish and plants. The effect could with care look very good and be designed to include water inlets, outlets and weirs to provide an uncluttered look. Some actually incorporated complete filter and heater units that were hidden from view.

Back