• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lonely Mountain - Custom Nano

neonplanet40

Hi folks,

As my plans are now underway, I thought it would be good to start documenting.

So far, I have done the following:

Stripped my study and repainted it in preparation for my aquariums.

Custom nano measures approximately:
Width = 12 inches
Height = 14 inches
Length = 15 inches

Light - Ordered Chihiros wrgb 30
Pump - Eheim Compact+ 1000
Substrate - ADA Amazonia (just bought 2 bags in the for sale section)

Still to get :

Hard scape - I am looking some stone to create a 'lonely mountain' effect
Plants - ideally want carpet plants to go around the ground of the 'mountain' and maybe a few small bits if wood to look like fallen trees. I'm not very artitistic though so this is hopeful.

Filter - unsure what to do here. Just put some filter foam in the rear compartment maybe?

Livestock - I just want one Betta in this tank.

Co2 - I'd rather not. This tank will be low tech.

What do you guys, think of my plans? I'll add some pics over the weekend. Still sorting cabling etc in the room.

Do yourself a favor and get a canister filter

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I'd contradict that if the aquarium has a sizable built in compartment. Shouldn't need more than a litre or two of media for a nano planted tank. Space will likely limit the stocking before filtration does. If OP does go for a cannister, the Hydor Prime 10 is my goto nano external.

My built in compartment is 12 inches x 3.5 inches. Is this big enough? If so, what do you recommend putting in it and how much?

I have attached a few pictures of the nano. It still needs to be cleaned etc. But still have to finish sorting the study out haha. Cabling tomorrow and sorting furniture on Sunday!

Attachments

• 20190201_183757.jpg
    20190201_183757.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 254
  • 20190201_183803.jpg
    20190201_183803.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 242
  • 20190201_184040.jpg
    20190201_184040.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
Post plenty of photos and ask for plenty of honest critiques. I would highly recommend sketching some aquascapes to get a hang of styles that please you.

I have a harsh critic at aquascaping world forum named Keith. He has helped me with many hardscapes, although harsh at times. I have appreciated every comment he has given.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So, I have finished painting. I hate painting!

I have moved the tank down (bubble wrap under but will be replaced with camping mat) and cleaned it. Think I will need to give a more intensive clean to get off coraline algae. Any ideas other than brute force?

I also took a picture of the sump area. Will this be enough so as not to need to run an external filter?

I am putting together my final buying list. At the moment, I have a chihiros wrgb ordered (but will be delayed due to Chinese new year) which I will turn down as not running co2. I have an eheim compact 1000+ for flow. I also have ada amazonia enroute.

So what more do I need:
Filtration - what do I need to buy for this? I want a betta in the tank but no other fish.
Heater - I need a dhamm one. Currently looking at an aquael Ultra 50w. This okay?
Dechlorinator - any specific recommendations
Water additives for plants/water or fish? - what do I need?
Hard scape - how many kg of seriyu should be enough?

My tank dimensions (when you take out sump area) is
width - 11.5 inches
Length - 10 inches
Height - 14 inches

Is there anything else I need to order that I've forgot?

Thank you.

20190203_141311.jpg
20190203_141332.jpg
20190203_141311.jpg
20190203_141332.jpg
20190203_141349.jpg
20190203_141416.jpg

Filtration, that would be more than fine. Get some course foam, medium foam and some bio media and you're sorted

Not familiar with the aquael heaters but I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm a fan of the juwel heaters, if in doubt go up a model wattage wise or it'll struggle to maintain a constant heat

Dechlorinator, seachem prime

Ferts, loads of choice but easiest and cheapest choice is EI Ferts. You'll have soft water similar to me and I find a bit of added calcium helps uptake of nutrients but you can get away without depending on what plants you choose

Amount of stone depends what you want to do with it and substrate levels

You might want to be careful with the amount of flow in that tank as well with a betta

Is the chest of drawers man enough for the tank fully loaded with stone and water?

Filtration, that would be more than fine. Get some course foam, medium foam and some bio media and you're sorted

Not familiar with the aquael heaters but I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm a fan of the juwel heaters, if in doubt go up a model wattage wise or it'll struggle to maintain a constant heat

Dechlorinator, seachem prime

Ferts, loads of choice but easiest and cheapest choice is EI Ferts. You'll have soft water similar to me and I find a bit of added calcium helps uptake of nutrients but you can get away without depending on what plants you choose

Amount of stone depends what you want to do with it and substrate levels

You might want to be careful with the amount of flow in that tank as well with a betta

Is the chest of drawers man enough for the tank fully loaded with stone and water?

Ty for the reply!

Chest of drawers... I hope so :D It seems quite sturdy..... The back is also an inch thick. I MIGHT add a thicker piece of wood on top to ensure weight is spread from sides and back. Hoping it holds it fine.

Only reason I liked the Aquael was no glass! And its small form. I'm not set on it though. I may go for the 75W though I guess, just to be sure. Just need to make sure it's not too long.

El Ferts? I'll look them up. Yea I think my water here is soft. Going by Scottish Water info anyway.

Filtration - Any particular type of bio media people use? Can I just dump this in the larger part (where the return pump will sit) and put sponges in the more narrow chamber where water comes in? Or does it all need to go in the narrow chamber?

Stone - I don't want loads. Is there anywhere that sells loads of types near us where I can actually see some in person? Buying unseen can either work (or not) as I found out in the past with liverock.

Flow - The Eheim has controllable flow I believe so I should be able to adjust it if needed. I'd imagine I wouldn't be able to add a fish for a while anyway?

Get a small person to sit on it and see if it bows, moves, creaks or groans before you fill with water

The glass isn't an issue as you want be moving it about but I'm sure that one would be fine

For bio media I use seachem matrix and eheim substrat Pro but anything similar will be fine, could just use foam without but I like a bit of bio as well. I'd put course in the first bit, medium in the 2nd next to the divide then bag of bio with heater and pump

Riverside is the only half decent place around here, not as good as the stuff from AG or Aquasabi etc though, I'll look out what I have spare the now and send a pic

The wee eheim pumps can be quite powerful for their size but yeh you need to cycle the tank first

This is the stand it is sitting on - https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products...ets/alex-drawer-unit-oak-effect-art-10278342/

Can you recommend any small heaters? I've been looking around and there aren't that many. Ideally, I want one with an accurate temperature sensor. I have an STC for my larger tank but keen to cut back on wires etc for the smaller tank.

Definitely let me know what you have in terms of rock.

I have no kids so no one small to set on top of the unit haha. So, being an eejit. I got up and stood on it. I weigh over 100kg lol. Looks sturdy

Attachments

• 20190203_152854.jpg
    20190203_152854.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 202
I've only used the aqua one and juwel internal heaters before so can't comment on the aquael ones but have a look for others on here that might have used them in their builds, most modern nano heaters will do a good enough job these days

Haha I'm sure it'll be more than fine then

Just curious guys, can anyone recommend plants? It will be low tech - and no co2 (may use liquid co2 at some point if needed).

I would like a carpet and some form of a pretty plant that a betta would enjoy!

My tried and tested plants are as per attached image. You can find more info at my site. www.scapeeasy.co.uk

If you look at the e-aquascaping service pages the example tanks I have done with Donna include some more plants which she has had success with. E.g. Marsilea hirsuta springs to mind as a carpeting plant option for you. Try and include a fast growing plant in the background to help with algae etc in the first few months of your set up.
598ccc7d5cdc488601a5407deb94d0b1.jpg

I got some rock yesterday courtesy of @Kalum (thank you!). I have the following order list:

Seachem Prime 500ml
Aquael Ultra Heater 75W
Seachem Tidal 75 Matrix 350ml
Dennerle Nano Alginator 2500 Glass Cleaner
Seachem Purigen 250ml
Hikari Betta Bio Gold 5g
Seachem Flourish Excel 500ml Liquid Carbon
Superfish Air Stone Cylindrical 25mm (2 pcs)
Driftwood Nano 12-18 cm

I still can't pick plants!! At the moment,

I am thinking about a carpet of either:

Tropica Micranthemum Monte Carlo 1-2-GROW
Or Hemianthus micranthemoides

However, still unsure what to buy for nearer the back (that the betta can hide behind/in etc.

PS - What glue do people use for rock? Bastel Plastik has been recommended but I can't find it for sale on my usual places!

Just realising you have a compact 1000 pump, this will be pretty strong flow on a tank this size for a betta so I'd try out first and keep that in mind

Personally not a fan of the magnetic algae scrapers as they are hit and miss and you'll never beat getting your hand in, I'd look at the dennerle cleanator instead

Do you already have an air pump for the air stone?

Since you're going low tech if maybe try a val in the back like we spoke about but that would mean no excel, either that or an easy bushy stem plant or even cryptocoryne

Back