• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Sat watching the tank over the past few days I’ve been thinking about what other fish I would like. I would like a feature fish and have been thinking about opaline gourami, the blue would look nice, although I am currently unsure about this. Their potential size is one issue I’m concerned about.....and shrimp snacks too :nailbiting: One thing I do know is I would like a species that will make use of the intricate rock and wood formations. I’d like to see something enjoying moving in and out, up and under the rocks and crevices and I’ve pretty much decided on dwarf chain loach, I’ve kept them before and they would be perfect. I’ve seen discussions on their appropriateness with larger nerite species of snail and they seem compatible although I do have some reservations about them with the rabbit snails and their lovely tentacles :hungry: Sometimes the loaches don’t seem to bother snails at all, I think it worth the risk and if their are any issues between them I will rehome the rabbits in my sons tank. Perhaps they may be a threat to shrimp also but I have seen several tanks with shrimp and monkey loaches so fingers crossed. I saw a group of 13 in my local Maidenhead today but due to the price I decided to leave and make sure.....I’m pretty confident I will be going back soon :D

One of my old monkeys:

68BCDC3A-C72F-407F-B184-3FEE1FCA2A5D.jpeg

Corydoras would also be interesting, I love those little dudes and panda Corydoras have been one I have wanted to keep for a long time. I will see how the loaches go and decide if the lower regions can take another group and indeed how boisterous the loaches are once settled as I don’t want them out competing the Corydoras for food.

Cheerio

Last edited:
Opaline Gouramis can be very aggressive. Individuals vary, but probably only from stroppy to vicious, I've never known a really peaceful one.
That’s that decided then, I want to relax in front of the tank not get :rage:.
Thanks for the information :thumbup: I’ll look for a different option.
Cheerio

That’s that decided then, I want to relax in front of the tank not get :rage:.
Thanks for the information :thumbup: I’ll look for a different option.
Cheerio
As already said Opalines are very territorial. Why not try pearl gourami or even thick lipped gourami. They're a decent size but don't come with the aggression of the opaline. You won't get the blue coloration however a male pearl in breeding colouration is much better anyway.

Cheers

Conor

A schoal of Moenkhausia pittieri would looks awesome too and complete the smaller gold tetra you got.

Instead of gourami, I would choose 4-6 pterophyllum scalare. They would love those talawa branches.

All that would make the perfect amazonia fish assortiment, with matching colors.

Cheers

I keep telling people to give the Cochu's Blue Tetra a shot. They are my personal favorite, they mate every single morning and are hyperactive throughout the day.

I keep telling people to give the Cochu's Blue Tetra a shot. They are my personal favorite, they mate every single morning and are hyperactive throughout the day.
I find them to be really aggressive. How are they with other fish in your tank?

Cheers

Conor

A schoal of Moenkhausia pittieri would looks awesome too and complete the smaller gold tetra you got.

Instead of gourami, I would choose 4-6 pterophyllum scalare. They would love those talawa branches.

All that would make the perfect amazonia fish assortiment, with matching colors.

Cheers
Mmm, diamond tetra, they may work that’s a consideration for sure.
I’m not going with angels though, lovely fish but they are too tall bodied for what I want, I want to try and keep more of a panoramic look, accentuating the horizontal aspect.

I have considered them before as they are a subtle beauty but maybe a bit busy and I’ve also heard they can be a bit aggressive.

As already said Opalines are very territorial. Why not try pearl gourami or even thick lipped gourami. They're a decent size but don't come with the aggression of the opaline. You won't get the blue coloration however a male pearl in breeding colouration is much better anyway.

Cheers

Conor
Yes pearl gourami are stunning but quality ones seem to be less available. I would consider them if I found some nice ones but I would prefer only males as I don’t want the whole mating aggression or to stress the fish with the surface movement I have. Not sure how just males would get along, I guess I could keep a solitary male......

Ooooh, decisions decisions :)

I find them to be really aggressive. How are they with other fish in your tank?

Cheers

Conor

Aggressive? Not at all. No fin nipping whatsoever, they sometimes steal the pellets from my corys though!. I find them very playful with their own species and super active.

I have considered them before as they are a subtle beauty but maybe a bit busy and I’ve also heard they can be a bit aggressive.

One other option would be the yellow fin Congo tetras but very expensive (~ 40 a piece); they go very well with regular Congos

I've kept opaline gouramis in the distant past, and found them to be fine, not really that aggressive, but I could have been lucky I suppose. Have you thought about moonlight gouramis, I've kept them as well and from what I can remember they seemed pretty placid.

I've kept opaline gouramis in the distant past, and found them to be fine, not really that aggressive, but I could have been lucky I suppose. Have you thought about moonlight gouramis, I've kept them as well and from what I can remember they seemed pretty placid.
Moonlights are really nice, however they get quite big.

If you go for cories, I'd suggest duplicareus. The colour of them looks great against lift sand. With a tank this size you have quite a few options.

Cheers

Conor

How are the anubias doing? I heard the other day on a podcast by aquarium co-op that 5% of imported anubias have 'anubias rot' a mystery disease we don't understand and can't treat (though I suspect it may be as simple as some don't survive the ordeal of shipping?) Some retailers will apparently quarantene anubias and look out for this and dispose of affected plants before we have the chance to purchase them. Though I doubt my LFS does anything like this!!

:thumbup:Great looking tank, love the scape and a really interesting read on how you got there
On your fish choice, school of corys would look cool, maybe a mixed group, like on on tanktested latest video
Thanks Steve, I’m still not decided but if corys were to be added I’d have to get a single species.
Aggressive? Not at all. No fin nipping whatsoever, they sometimes steal the pellets from my corys though!. I find them very playful with their own species and super active.
I’ve observed them in shops before and been tempted by their relentless activity, however....
One other option would be the yellow fin Congo tetras but very expensive (~ 40 a piece); they go very well with regular Congos
love both species of Congo tetras, and a fish ive overlooked so they may be a good shout, thanks :)
Moonlights are really nice, however they get quite big.

If you go for cories, I'd suggest duplicareus. The colour of them looks great against lift sand. With a tank this size you have quite a few options.

Cheers

Conor
Mmm, not so keen on moonlights.
I had a group of duplicareus with my discus. Some i had since my NAtural Jurassic scape, I should have kept them but had nowhere to house the group so unfortunately gave them away with the discus:
A8891E21-E559-4FD2-9552-4023637658A0.jpeg
82C91898-33BD-401E-9B39-F846AC678F89.jpeg

I’d like something different now though if I do add corys.

How are the anubias doing? I heard the other day on a podcast by aquarium co-op that 5% of imported anubias have 'anubias rot' a mystery disease we don't understand and can't treat (though I suspect it may be as simple as some don't survive the ordeal of shipping?) Some retailers will apparently quarantene anubias and look out for this and dispose of affected plants before we have the chance to purchase them. Though I doubt my LFS does anything like this!!
Some are flowering and thriving, some have failed, rotting leaves and rhizome, I don’t know what has caused it but it is unusual to me from my experience of anubias. I think I’ll replace them with the green variety of bucephelandra.

As a side I was thrilled with my purchase of a group of 10 strong dwarf chain loach......which I now never see except on a morning when lights are off :lol: maybe the Corydoras will be a good choice after all.....

Tank needs a good clean; I’ve been busy and away last week and weekend so the tank is a bit ‘mucky’ and in need of a water change :yuck:

Lights still maxed at 50% intensity, I’ll increase this week to 60% to try and induce a bit more growth as it’s pretty static still. I’ll tweak co2 again also I think as I’ve noticed co2 not to be optimum for lights on.

Few random photos....

Flowering bucephalandra and anubias;

AD3126A7-02C7-4BA5-8D0A-E6DAD31C6D8B.jpeg

08979CFE-BFA3-4DD2-9E65-2F3D08F69376.jpeg

E2AD3387-2CD8-4ECA-B33E-76CB70E5E3B3.jpeg

BAC09CE7-EF33-41E5-B254-BE494612A036.jpeg

Cheerio,

Last edited:
stunning pics!

a group of chocolate gouramis might be nice in there, or a more adventurous choice: Betta pugnax.
Thanks, yeah love the the idea of chocolates but I don’t think it’s the right tank for them, too bright and busy and not enough at the surface for the beta. Tbh I’m just going to leave it as it is and see if anything takes my fancy when I visit a shop. The gold tetra are increasing in size and offer a decent visual display and I still need to get the plants going in the right direction.
Thanks for the suggestions though, there is a lot of food for thought.
Cheerio

Back