• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replace fluval g6 prefilter with sponges?

RisingSun

Is it possible to replace the stock prefilter that comes in the box with cylindrical 20 ppi sponges? Kind of like those found in the Oase 600. I've found that may prefilter clogs too quickly.

Try pondguru pump my filter on you tube he may have pimped a G6 I did his oase pimp last night flow is loads better

Thanks for the suggestion. I searched his youtube channel and it seems like he did every filter except the G3/6.

Based on my forum perusing it seems like this filter was all the rage in 2012. After which people started reporting all kinds of leaks and flow issues. Kind of regretting my purchase now because I have yet to see anyone saying it's lasted them multiple years.

Is it possible to replace the stock prefilter that comes in the box with cylindrical 20 ppi sponges? Kind of like those found in the Oase 600. I've found that may prefilter clogs too quickly.
Hi, there are 2 types of pre filter for the G6 one is a 75 micron blue cartridge which is fine, and there is a standard white one. Which do you have as I’ve never had an issue with the standard white pre filter cartridge clogging too quickly in the 7 years I’ve been using them. If you are using the fine one then maybe swap it out for the white and hopefully that will solve the issue. When you say clogging too quickly, what is too quickly?

Thanks for the suggestion. I searched his youtube channel and it seems like he did every filter except the G3/6.

Based on my forum perusing it seems like this filter was all the rage in 2012. After which people started reporting all kinds of leaks and flow issues. Kind of regretting my purchase now because I have yet to see anyone saying it's lasted them multiple years.

Just to put your mind at ease a little also, I’ve never had one leak, however failures do occasionally occur with any filter, but with added electronics I guess there is more risk. I still use them today, one of which is my original unit. I have had one fail completely however it was a second hand unit so I can’t know it’s history. I will continue to use them as the benefits far outweigh the risks imo.

Cheerio
Ady

Are you sure you mean the Fluval G6?
Unsure how you would use sponges as the unit is made to have the pre-filter clip into place and direct flow.

+1 on what @Ady34 says - the blue coloured one is intended for marine use and the standard white ones are for freshwater.
also as he says what do you call too quickly?

They take minutes to rinse, all you need to do is remove them with a simple twist, take them out of the bottom red chamber, tap the bottom out and give them a blasting with a hosepipe - forget the brush aside from using its handle to tap the bottom of the pre filter out.

Just to put your mind at ease a little also, I’ve never had one leak, however failures do occasionally occur with any filter, but with added electronics I guess there is more risk. I still use them today, one of which is my original unit. I have had one fail completely however it was a second hand unit so I can’t know it’s history. I will continue to use them as the benefits far outweigh the risks imo.

Thanks Ady, your post definitely helped alleviate some buyer's remorse, appreciate it. Good to know that you've stuck with the line for the last 7 years!

I'm using the white one that came with the filter. I'm going down to 70% flow in 3-5 days. Tank is 181 liters, heavily planted, ~12 grams of food/week.
ZNtSL2k.jpg

I'm in a situation where I'm only home every 2 weeks, and I don't want to ask my parents to swap the prefilter with a clean one. It's also driving a sera 500 reactor, so I'm worried that losing flow will slow down my co2 injection.

Are you sure you mean the Fluval G6?
Unsure how you would use sponges as the unit is made to have the pre-filter clip into place and direct flow.

I was thinking trim off the bottom half of the pleats and then jamming in something like the below into the cartridge. I would be trading off cleanliness for a longer period of good flow.
p_902430_23511D.jpg

It's also driving a sera 500 reactor
That's your problem, simple as that. ;)
Remove the Sera reactor and should solve your problems.
If you want to run CO2 inline you would have to choose something different like a CO2 art inline rector.

If you were to contact Fluval they would tell you not to run anything inline and you to use nothing but their supplied inlet/outlets and hose.

I'm in a situation where I'm only home every 2 weeks, and I don't want to ask my parents to swap the prefilter with a clean one.
I wouldn't want to leave it any longer than that; I do mine weekly.
It could create flow restrictions leaving it that long.

I was thinking trim off the bottom half of the pleats and then jamming in something like the below into the cartridge. I would be trading off cleanliness for a longer period of good flow.
This would create more restriction if anything as it would clog quicker than the pre-filter.

Any questions just ask - I know these filters pretty well, especially about causing restrictions when trying to run things inline.

That's your problem, simple as that. ;)
Remove the Sera reactor and should solve your problems.
If you want to run CO2 inline you would have to choose something different like a CO2 art inline rector.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just spent the weekend switching from an inline reactor at the outlet to an inline diffuser at the inlet. Let's see if my flow will be better this week.

Also, off topic, but my filter burps every couple of minutes now. Hope that's ok since Ady's does that too https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/constant-bubbles-from-g6.23778/#post-243844. I don't mind the trickling noise in the filter or the occasional burp, so long as it doesn't damage the filter long term...

Last edited:
Just an update on this filter - after removing the inline reactor it's been working great. The new inlet side diffuser causes some small burps occasionally but it's no big deal. I can safely say this is the BEST filter I've owned (so far at least).

Cleaning the mech filter is so easy - I just pull out the cartridge and spray it down with a garden hose. Takes 5 minutes. I do mech filter cleaning every 3 weeks now instead of every 2 months because of the convenience. Tank has less BBA / staghorn and plants are growing great! I don't think I've ever seen my rotala this orange.

The flow on this thing is amazing. With a pump rated at 2510 LPH, it's easily the most powerful filter that has a single 16mm inflow/outflow, which is important for aesthetic reasons. The strong flow combined with the removal of the inline reactor has allowed me to get rid of my vortech circulation pump.

Tank is still growing in after the last overhaul, but here's a progress pic:
xe1sf8f.jpg

Back