• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bacteria life

john arnold

hello

Had a tank blow this morning, getting another tonight, how long will the filter bacteria live for in canister do you think, happened 10am this morning so been sitting there since?

The bacteria we need have a high oxygen demand.. In a closed canister this is provided by the constant flow of the water through it.
If this flow stops than it becomes stagnant, oxygen becomes unavailable in a short time and it becomes a critical invironment for them.
How long it takes them to die, i don't know, i doubt anybody does. But eventualy they all will if it stays like that. If it stays stagnant it becomes a rotting mass.

Best is the drain the cannister from water and just keep the media moist and the cannister open. This will keep them alive for a rather long time if not for ever. Or keep the media in an open bucket and moist, it doesn't need to be submersed.

Or indeed run it over a bucket with water as said above.. As long as the water is moving in there its ok..

Ok thsnks all, i got a new tank up and running by 10pm so was sitting still for like 9 hours squeezed some gunk from a prefilter that needed cleaning , filled with water strsight from a hose so very cold at first do you think it would be unwise to put fish in by wed ? As thats when they are being delivered, i have put a pause with supplier

Hi all,
Best is the drain the cannister from water and just keep the media moist and the cannister open. This will keep them alive for a rather long time if not for ever. Or keep the media in an open bucket and moist, it doesn't need to be submersed.
That is <"what I do as well">.

cheers Darrel

I've got away with a few hours before; say 4-5hrs when I was switching from my 4ft to a 5ft tank and didn't notice any issues with the bacteria. I do think you'd be pushing it if it was any longer than that.

If you're concerned, I'd recommend grabbing a bottle of Seachem Stability or JBL Denitrol (spelling), which I've used successfully in the past.

Cheers all it was for about 9hrs, i have seachem stability and think ill leave it till next week to be sure i guess

After a power failure one Xmas, a substation neutral fault, everyone on my estates house RCB's tripped. Power was restored after couple of hours, but we were away and only came back 3 days later to reset house RCB. Fish water temperature was 15 odd, anyway all powered on fine, fish were ok after filter being left 3 days.

After a power failure one Xmas, a substation neutral fault, everyone on my estates house RCB's tripped. Power was restored after couple of hours, but we were away and only came back 3 days later to reset house RCB. Fish water temperature was 15 odd, anyway all powered on fine, fish were ok after filter being left 3 days.
I like thecsound of that, i feel much better now

Hi all,
Power was restored after couple of hours, but we were away and only came back 3 days later to reset house RCB.
I've had a bit of a history of <"turning the filters off during maintenance and then not noticing for a week.">. It used to worry me, but when I thought about I realised that it was probably going to be OK, because I have chunky sponge pre-filters on the tanks and relatively little biofilm in the filter itself.

My suggestion is that when you open the canister, if it doesn't smell "bad" you are probably OK.

cheers Darrel

Back