• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interpet cf 2 any good?

AlanRR

I am hoping to start my first planted aquarium. I have a 64 l tank and want to set it up as temperate and without injected co2. The filter that came with the tank is an Interpet CF 2 https://www.interpet.co.uk/Products/Filtration/Filters/Internal-Cartridge-Filter-CF-2. I believe this is rated at 480 l/hr. Is this sort of filter any good for a planted aquarium or do I need to consider an alternative? I have had a bit of a look at the Eheim Aquaball for example.

Thanks for any advice

Alan

I have the same tank and filter combo. Filter is fine. I replaced the cartridges for a plain foam block though. Those algaway pads are useless and you won't want to be running carbon all the time if fertilizing. If you put a black background on the tank the filter is easily hidden.

Brilliant, thanks Matt. What sort of foam pads do you mean (sorry I’m very new to this)? Also, what lighting do you use with the tank?

Cheers

Alan

https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Products/Filtering/Filter-media/BioPlus-fine/
Large size fits perfectly :)
Be sure to not just replace it straight away if you already have fish. You would need to take the bio balls out of the cartridge and put them loose in the bottom of the filter then put half the foam pad on top. After a month you can take the balls out and put the other half of the media in. This was you maintain the beneficial bacteria built up during the cycling phase.

Depending on where you got the tank it will have either 1 or 2 strips of white leds (don't use the blue it invites alage). If you have 2 white strips you have enough light to grow plants. If not it's an easy upgrade.

Awesome, thanks Matt. I have an earlier version of the filter that didn’t have bio balls. The tank has been empty for some time so I plan to let it cycle with just plants for a few weeks before adding plants.

I only have a single LED strip but have seen that there are 2 and 3 strip replacements. Would 3 be better than 2 or is that overkill for a low tech setup (I can’t seem to find much info on the output they give).

Will I need anything else to add anything else for water agitation, oxygenation etc or a skimmer (or are these more for high tech fast growing systems)? The more I read the more options I am coming across :)

Thanks again

Alan

If you don't have bioballs, just the carbon and algaway pad get rid of them and get the filter sponge instead. Can't tell how how important this is. The filter is pointless without them. The algaway pads block up and/or degrade so easily and require frequent replacement in my experience. Not a good idea when trying to maintain the bacteria! Photo of how it looks attached.

You don't need surface agitation of a skimmer. The filter will do most of that for you due to its design. At most if you get a film on the surface you could get a small airstone driven by one of those nano silent pumps and run it for half an hour each day. That said there are other solutions to biofilms too!

I found I had more algae with three strips running in my setup...That said, if you get a 2 strip unit, you will be able to keep some flexibility as it will end up being powered separately as the connector is the wrong way round to fit into the hood power socket (they are clever like this!). What this does mean is you can have all three strips in the hood and power only 2 or all three of them. Photo attached again.

Let me know if any of that is unclear, or if further questions. I can easily do more photos!

PS. Wow flash photos really bring out the algae!)
cdaed07d49783916daed4be8488e1136.jpg
85dd237663e4629196792c419fc7fc4e.jpg

Thanks Matt that all makes sense. I’ve ordered the filter foam and the 2 strip light. I’ve just spent several hours reading through http://www.scapeeasy.co.uk which has a lot of great info and it has given me some good inspiration. I especially like the idea of going for a natural tree trunk style look. Now I need to go out searching for some suitable hardscaping materials.

Cheers

Alan

Back