• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
They are lovely! I just have some cherries tucked away on my top shelf munching on algae all day. Looking at this I need some nice ones for my next scape.

The huge numbers of catfish really looks great. good job :)

Cleaned the prefilter on the Oase today, after sorting my cabinet. Much needed, I might skip using the prefilter in the future if I need to clean it every week.

Hi
If I were U I wouldn't do that.
U dont want that gunk on your biomedia.Plus better cleaning prefilter every week and removing debri than leaving them in your system.Try adapting coarser sponge if is too fine(Not familiar with prefilter sponge density in Oase filters)
Regards Konsa

Hi
If I were U I wouldn't do that.
U dont want that gunk on your biomedia.Plus better cleaning prefilter every week and removing debri than leaving them in your system.Try adapting coarser sponge if is too fine(Not familiar with prefilter sponge density in Oase filters)
Regards Konsa

You're probably right. I changed the original prefilter sponges before I started using the filter, from 45 ppi to 30. Happy I did that. Doesn't seem like they have any coarser than those. Some parts of this filter are well thought out, but I feel there's a few small things that are annoying.
Then again; bleed valves are unheard of in the aquarium biz, it seems...

Anyway, not gonna make any major changes at this point, maintenance and stability for now.

My largest Aponogeton reached the surface yesterday, so I'm happy for now. It has really taken off these last couple of days.

Hi all,
Doesn't seem like they have any coarser than those.
Could you fabricate your own from a block, or sheet of, PPI20 sponge? You can sew it up with nylong fishing line or button thread etc.

I'm always reluctant to buy branded sponges, because you don't get a choice of pore size and they are expensive for what you get.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Could you fabricate your own from a block, or sheet of, PPI20 sponge? You can sew it up with nylong fishing line or button thread etc.

I'm always reluctant to buy branded sponges, because you don't get a choice of pore size and they are expensive for what you get.

cheers Darrel

I have a huge piece of 20 ppi, so I have considered this already. Might go for it.

Branded sponges cost an arm and a leg too...

The length of the filter and having to take it our of the cabinet everytime I wanted to clean the pre-filter is what put me off.

Hey! It means you can skip the gym :p

I'm a bit baffled this has run for a month without major issues. Fingers crossed tightly as I say: No major crypt melt, no massive algae.

I do have a some smaller issues though, hopefully someone can help:

1. I do get a few holes in leaves on crypts (crispatula and wendtii mainly). I'm guessing it's a deficiency, but a bit unsure which. Dosing APFUK EI (micro/macro alternating days, standard recipe) at full dosage this last 10 days or so in response. It is not massive, mostly older leaves on the wendtii; new AND old on the crispatula. Makes sense since crispatula should be quite a nutrient hog, AFAI have read. Seeing a bit of the same on the Limnobium.

2. Most algae I have are carry overs from the old 45P mainly. So there's a bit of GDA and BBA on one of the rocks (slowly dying away it seems), and on some of the old Buces. The algae on the Buces seem a bit harder to get rid of. I've spotdosed with EasyCarbo several times, but it seems to die too slow for my taste. I'm going to try peroxide soon if I don't see some changes. Also having a low level infestation on the crispatula, which I treat the same way. I have removed most of the old leaves, but the blahblahblahblahblahblahblah persists with infecting the new ones. Still, it's not massive; you have to look for it, but yeah... I'd like to kill it off for good.

If I can pin point the deficiency I'd love to back off to 3/4 or 1/2 dose EI, since I'm seeing a tiny bit of green algae on the glass. Probably caused by sunlight though.

I just know CO2 will come up so here goes: I'm currently trying to see how far I can push it within safety margins for critters. I believe the amount currently is fine, although I have not done a profile, if anything it's more a question of timing. Will do a complete profile at some point when I get the time. Suffice to say, I'm fairly close to have dc's a light limegreen from lights on to lights off. In anticipation, today I'm checking pH from CO2 on to lights on (3 hour interval). Will update this post later today. Results are in, they are LOL: pH@CO2 on 6.9-ish. 3 hours later pH@lights on 6.4. BPS is something like 5 or 6 at the moment. Remember though, my tap KH is somewhere between 16-20, probably closer to 18-20. Those of you who like pH/KH/CO2 charts can try to find my values there.

Will nab a few pics when light comes on, this is 5-6 days old:

2018-11-01%2019.04.52.jpg

Last edited:
Be carefull with sunlight!. I love sunlight in a tank, but it can be a lot of light which means CO2 problems. It can help if you time your lighting to coincide with the sunlight, best starting just before, and time the CO2 with that too.
Limnobium.
Use this as the "duckweed index" by Darrel. If these show problems up the micro's and macro's untill the new leaves are lush green.

Be carefull with sunlight!. I love sunlight in a tank, but it can be a lot of light which means CO2 problems. It can help if you time your lighting to coincide with the sunlight, best starting just before, and time the CO2 with that too.

Sunlight is not the biggest problem this time of year, luckily. It's fading fast. I've got a few ideas on how to handle it, including curtains and timing of light.

Use this as the "duckweed index" by Darrel. If these show problems up the micro's and macro's untill the new leaves are lush green.

So I'll continue dosing as I do now, or even up it slightly, while I continue pushing CO2 to the limit.

FTS from today:

2018-11-07%2018.00.30.jpg

Still contemplating some changes to the right hand side.

Did a complete filter clean today, was probably needed. I've had some surface film for a while; started when I noticed Oto's preferred their cucumber blanched, and nice and goopy after 24+ hours in tank. Also huge waterchange (twice a week for these at the mo'). And some spot dosing on a few places with resilient algae.

Added a couple of handfuls of blue and green Neocaridina a week ago. I know all these colours will not stay 'clean', but no matter.

All fishes should be alive and well. I say should be, since the Oto's are a bit hard to get together in the frame. Hidey beggars. Last count gave me 6, guessing one wasn't feeling sociable.

Cyperus helferi is probably a poor choice, seems like it is dying?

2018-11-07%2018.00.43.jpg

Small update:

Around week 6. Still no huge issues. Did a few changes:

1. Changed the direction of the spraybar. Well, actually, I just moved the outlet to the other end, sort of flipped the whole arrangement. Water jets from the spraybar were skewed a bit the left side, where the inlet to the filter also was. Result was a bit of a dead-ish zone in the back right corner, not that the Aponogetons minded that though. I feel it's a bit better now. Consequently; skimmer is now on the right side still facing towards the front. Added bonuses: Aponegeton leaves not bunched up in current; all filter hoses are away from the electrical outlets in the cabinet. Hurrah.

2. Installed a JBL Countsafe to better eyeball CO2 bubbles. Much better. My old one didn't really give any indication apart from: none, one, lots. Thx JBL. So I'm slowly upping my CO2.

3. Removed much of the Java fern and put in some Bolbitis. Wish me luck.
4. Inspected the above Cyperus, decided to give it a chance, moved it forward a bit to catch more light, and planted Eleocharis vivipara in its place.
5. Moved the largest Aponogeton (YUGE roots) away from the other smaller two.
6. Removed a suffering Buce "Red", and added a Buce "Theia" instead. Will have to divide it though.
7. Moved a few of the Wendtii about and added lots of S. subulata to different bald spots.

So happy I went with Tropica Soil for easy replanting in this tank.

I've gotten some snails, dunno if they got it bad in transit, it seems the ramshorns died fairly quick on arrival. One Clithon doing fine, the other a bit lethargic; I'll give it some time. Also got some M. granifera: One was an €2 empty shell, one has died... I think the remaining are ok though. Trying to do another order from another place on ramshorns and Clithons. Water should be OK, shrimps, fish and my original MTS and bladdersnails are fine. Strange.
I might have lost 1-2 Oto's, but yeah, not sure. The ones I see look fat and happy.
Still having some melt on the C. crispatula. I hope my slightly increasing CO2 might help. They did kind of fine in a 45P with no CO2 and only sporadic ferts for months. It'd be MASSIVELY nice if they came around...

Crappy phone FTS:

2018-11-21%2015.43.37.jpg

Tank is looking good :)

I suspect the C crispatula is just sulking about all the changes (45P to current tank etc) - I find it takes its time establishing good roots (or whatever it’s actually doing ;)) before finally putting out decent leafs (that don’t melt when the wind changes direction)

C helferi - I don’t find this plant is particular about lighting etc but then I have very soft tap water

Oddly I set up my 60P with new Tropica soil etc BUT added Tropica Nutrition Capsules as per Jurijs mit JS, and have noticed extraordinary rooting by the Cyperus and the Hemianthus micranthemoides in the ~5 weeks its been running
Tank has actually been rather neglected with maybe 3 water changes since planting :oops:
I borrowed filter media from other tanks so I did add some Clithon corona snails and a few shrimp around Day 3 (or 5 or ... :rolleyes: well sometime in the first week)
Light and CO2 have also been erratic
No visible algae :confused: though my Elatine hydropiper slowly melted (it wasn’t in the best condition when planted and when it chose to give up, I rather ignored the poor tank)

Re snails, I suspect they are sensitive to overheating during transit (from farms to wholesaler to retailer)
Last shipment, C corona all arrived and appeared active, but then slowly became empty shells collection over some weeks
New shipment C corona has been much more active from arrival and no losses after few weeks

Looks over last post.... Dang, it's been a while!

Got a refund for the snails from the one seller I actually got around to contacting :rolleyes:

So nuthin much has happened for a while, except I had what I suspected was BBA in low volume. I also couldn't get rid of it completely. Growth was not impressive, natural since all plants except the Aponogetons were slow growers. The C. helferi I had was struggling, and so was the Eleocharis viviparus (IIRC) I replaced it with. I think they might have gotten too cold during transit, although Aquasabi does a good job on packaging. Anyway, they mostly melted.

Shake the bag try something new, I thought. Let's try some rotundifolia, some P. erectus, some L. aquatica, even a bit of H'ra. The Limnophila did fairly well, so did the rotundifolia, the Pogo grew a bit, then stalled. H'ra told me: "More light, CO2 and everything please". It also was placed badly.
It was here I also soured on the spraybar (I know some love them; I find them ugly, and have a hard time getting rid of dead spots with them. Failure in application? Might be. Not loosing sleep over that!), and changed to the lily pipe I originally bought for this tank, it works for me, so bite me ;)

Still, I was not completely happy, planting was a bit of a mess, not much actual growth apart from the Apo's sprouting 5 new daughter plants on average weekly; an that darn BBA was spreading... except!

It wasn't BBA, it was a YUGE index finger pointed at me that said: "You SLOTH!"
It was staghorn, lot's of it and spreading. Now, my lights were at 20-30 %, my CO2 whilst not entirely on the spot is certainly very much playing ball in the ballpark, my ferts on the light side, flow is getting around; what I DID have was LOADS of mulm (really; after months of melting?). The 2 big roots in the middle? Check, Detritus City. The large patch of Dwarf sag along the backpane :banghead: ? Check, Mulmsville. Etc, etc, etc.

Only one thing to do.

Earthquake time.

Look at this little village hiding horrible truths:

2019-02-22%2018.52.01.jpg

It was going to get torn apart, and although I usually wouldn't do massive work on a tank like this with the inhabitants still in, it would have to do; I had nowhere else to put them.
My preparations were in place, though. Apart from intending to use some existing plants, I also wanted to get rid of some that wasn't plain working, or had been problematic from the get go.

2019-02-27%2010.45.29.jpg

The procedure the following days:

1. Remove sandy beach of chaos. It wasn't working, although shrimps loved it. Lots of botanical particulate, quite some mulm, decaying botanicals and a general eyesore after a while. Replace sand with aquasoil.
2. Remove roots and remove stones. Last part was tricky, because they were holding the aquasoil in the back, and I wanted an earthquake, not a mudslide. :artist:
3. Remove all plants, and vacuum the substrate. I did this in portions, one side at a time, in order to keep some plants in for the critters to hide in. I sincerely believe they appreciated that.
4. Get epiphytes onto 1 root (instead of 2) and a couple of dragonstones.
5. Sort plants, what lives and what is compost.
6. Plant. (No, no, really... Plant.)

All interspersed with frequent waterchanges and (pre-)filter cleans.

Here's a heap of piccies to show some of the mess:

2019-02-27%2018.37.04.jpg

Roots out, sandy beach gone.

2019-02-28%2012.41.26.jpg

Careful planning, less mess.

2019-02-28%2012.41.30.jpg

Plants in their natural environment; the bucket.

Then, after lots of mulm sucking, on to planting:

2019-02-28%2018.29.15.jpg

New stems, right hand side: Pogo erectus (sounds like a punk band) on the left, Rotala H'ra on the right. Both in vitro, Limnophila tops planted in front. I plan to keep this fairly short. We'll see.

2019-02-28%2018.29.35.jpg

Left hand side: Reused epiphytes + new in vitro pinnatifida, that mostly looked like something I could find under my sofa. Eleocharis dwarf grass in front. New AND old Riccardia moss on wood. Some chain swords on the right. C. albida on the very right. Old Apo's and new in vitro C. crispatula balansae along the back (that's right I finally gave up on my old ones, they never got around since the move).

FTS from yesterday, I couldn't continue anymore, I was beat!

2019-02-28%2018.29.46.jpg

That bare spot is for HC. The day ended with a waterchange. All critters alive and well, if a bit hyper, new surroundings and all.

Today was finish up day: Plant HC, a few adjustments, clean filter and do a wc. HC in, fiddle a bit. Then waterchange, last point was the wc. When else does disaster decide to strike?

Now, I use a JBL In-Out, it works fairly well. Although the hose they supplied was 8 m (IIRC), I need about double. So I've retrofitted with Eheim hose in the proper length. This might explain why sometimes the hose pops off the faucet attachment. Happened twice, and great fun everytime :banghead: Additionally (if that wasn't plenty) my mixer is some crappy limestone suffering POS, it is very hard to get the right temp, and KEEP it. So a fairly simple, and supposedly not work intensive job: Except for me it involves running back and forth repeatedly: Is the hose about to pop? Is the temperature right? Is everything ok at the tank? Is it overflowing? Etc.
Today suddenly I notice that the water is very cold, trying to get it more around 20 C, checking the tank and I see one Cory and one Oto lying tits up. ARGH! Oh, they're still breathing, albeit faintly.
Finish up quick! Get some water moving! Get some heat on! Luckily, they got around fairly fast. I think they accidentally swam through some of the water that was maybe only 5 C and got knocked out. They seem fairly well now I hope, although I managed to drop overall tank temp to 17 C. :mad:

2019-03-01%2017.28.36.jpg

Final shot as of now (ATMITAS?:p)

Leaving for a couple of days tomorrow, with light on a fairly low setting, plenty CO2 (ascertained today I wasn't gonna gas anyone while away), and very minimal ferts for the older plants.
Hoping to not return to a muddy pool of algae and floating plants etc :nailbiting:, instead to beginning growth.

What a post and what a series of battles. Fingers crossed you have won them all :D
The tank looks great :thumbup:

Back