• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank stocking & changing substrate

Stiphodon

Seedling
Hi folks,

My 70L has been thriving lately with the addition of TNC complete. However I am looking at getting some more fish. Currently I have 2x Stiphodon gobies, 6x Copper rasboras, and 6x Cardinal tetras, and 30+ RCS.
In terms of stock, would I be alright getting Threadfin Rainbows (probably 6x) and some more rasboras and Cardinals (probably 3x each)? Or, should I only buy one and not the other, or neither at all?! Obviously I wouldn't get all at once and would space it out accordingly.

I am also interested in adding some new substrate in the middle section of the tank, hopefully a type of inert sand that will not affect any water parameters, so that the carpeting plants with smaller roots have an easier time spreading (they are pretty slow at the moment). However, I worry about moving stuff around too much as I don't want to damage any shrimp, so has anyone here had success by adding cleaned sand using the plastic tube method? It looks less risky to me!
Also, apart from flat rocks, what could I use to keep the sand in the area I want and not dispersing under the gravel? Could plastic strips do the trick?

Thanks!

yxwkUEq.jpg

In terms of your stocking I would suggest it's a case of one or the other. I have added sand using a drinks bottle. You can find views of this online too... it's really effective :)

Hi all,
In terms of stock, would I be alright getting Threadfin Rainbows (probably 6x)
You may find you have some difficulties with feeding them with your present stock. Threadfin Rainbows like really small food items and they aren't the strongest of competitors.

Cardinal Tetra are typical black-water fish, they come from water that is poor in nutrients and they eat anything and everything. I haven't kept Copper Raspbora so I can't pass comment on them.

cheers Darrel

Back