• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Beastly night falls...

Have a great weekend everyone!

20190308_191345.jpg
20190308_191328.jpg

So envious of people that successfully grow ludwigias. I always failed miserably, the stems die on me after a while.

Thats surprising!
In my limited experience, ludwigias have been the easiest plants to grow. Must be my tap water, Ive been blessed with some very soft stuff.

Thanks
Fil

If this is in reference to the Rotala macrandra, it’s easy to grow, but more difficult to get it looking brilliant

Makes perfect sense!
Thanks Alto

My light and co2 levels might be too low.
Either way, I am not tempted to mess about since all else is growing well.

Fil

Im thinking of selling some of these swords, but not sure what they are.
They were sold to me as bleheri, but they seem too short for it (20ish cm tall)

I got a bunch of bleheri at the time, and it quickly became apparent that there was 2 species in the mix, so at least 1 of them was incorrectly named. Ive since got rid of the other, it was growing MASSIVE.

Any ideas if this is indeed bleheri, or something else?
Also, im sometimes getting single leaves on very long stems. Is that weird?
See pics below

PS, managed to get most neons out of the shots. The neons and cories seem to be taking turns photobombing my shots!

20190312_183057.jpg
20190312_183048.jpg

they make me think of E. cordifolius, many color varieties of them though.

Dont think so, I have cordifolius as well, its quite different size and foliage wise.
Unless its a variety as you suggest.

I know its hard identifying off a pic, appreciate the suggestions.

Fil

Looking amazing now it's filled in. Any ideas for further fish stocking yet?

I wasn't sure about your initial stocking but looks great in a tank of that size.

Cheers

Conor

Looking amazing now it's filled in.

Thank you!!!

Any ideas for further fish stocking yet?

I am thinking of angel fish, perhaps a variety that doesnt grow too big to give my neons a fighting chance.

Or I might go nuts on more neons. My LFS offered me a 100 xl ones for a really good price.

Either way, wont be for a while. I've not properly worked since november so budget is tight.

FYI - I'm changing careers, and the Beast actually helped with that! I will make a proper update about it, once Im back at work at the end of March.

Thanks
Fil

I would like to say that your tank must be one of the most successful planted tank attempts I have ever seen!

Quite amazing when you look at what you have achieved especially considering the amount of folk who struggle to grow a 8” patch of grass or a single specimen plant!

I wonder how much more tolerance the huge volume of water offers compared to the more average size tank?
At first, I also wondered how on earth you would manage to keep enough C02 in that amount of water but that has just not proven to be an issue!

What ever you have done and are doing must be as close to perfect as you can get in this hobby.
Obviously you have had luck on your side too, to get the lights and Co2 spot on without any real base figures to work with was very lucky but full credit to you in every way for producing a remarkable achievement.

I would like to say that your tank must be one of the most successful planted tank attempts I have ever seen!

Wow... made my day dude!!!
Thank you.

I wonder how much more tolerance the huge volume of water offers compared to the more average size tank?

Thats a good question, to which I dont really have an answer since I dont keep a close eye on my parameters.

At first, I also wondered how on earth you would manage to keep enough C02 in that amount of water but that has just not proven to be an issue!

I would agree, not really an issue. Although I do have a custom made 600mm tall co2 reactor on a 1500mm spray bar.
I dissolve aprox 6kg of co2 in 3 weeks.
Also, poweheads are a must in order to spread the co2.

What ever you have done and are doing must be as close to perfect as you can get in this hobby.

I dont think a "perfect" spot exists, I think the point of "balance" moves depending on light intensity. I much prefer to eyeball my tank than confuse myself with parameters. Unless something catastrophic is happening, like a mass plant melt etc.

About 2 months ago I had some BBA appear on a 7hr light period.
Did 5 days of blackout, then I increased the co2 and shifted it to start 3hrs before light on (instead of 2hrs) + reduced the light to 6hrs.
And BOOM, while bba is still visible in places, its not progressing, and everything is growing nicely.

Obviously you have had luck on your side too, to get the lights and Co2 spot on without any real base figures to work with was very lucky but full credit to you in every way for producing a remarkable achievement.

The biggest luck factor that I am aware of is is my tap water. Its very soft!
Im sure there are other factors that I am not aware of being a noob.

Everything else is a matter of good design, execution and tweaking.
At this point, the amount of tech involved makes my life so much easier, I would probably fail at keeping a low tech tank :D

Thanks again
Fil

Back