• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pls explain purpose of a reactor

Gregory Day

I’m new to plants so am looking to understand why use a reactor and not just inject CO2 straight in tank

The purpose of a CO2 reactor is hold the CO2 bubbles in downward current in a column of water so the bubbles stay in the reactor. So CO2 bubbles don't reach the tank and escape to the water surface.
Thus provided bubble free tank and hopefully more efficient use of CO2

The purpose of a CO2 reactor is hold the CO2 bubbles in downward current in a column of water so the bubbles stay in the reactor. So CO2 bubbles don't reach the tank and escape to the water surface.
Thus provided bubble free tank and hopefully more efficient use of CO2

Sorry to hijack. I've emailed a couple of sellers of the Aqua Medic reactor but haven't had a reply.
The new model has a pump attached. Does this mean that if I got one I would be able to use it with a seperate inlet pipe and a spray bar to disperse the CO2 straight into the tank......so I didn't have to cut into my filter pipes?
Or is the pump attachment just to create a whirlpool effect & to propel the water / co2 into the filter?
I'm not that happy with the view of my ceramic co2 diffuser. I've successfully hidden all other pipes. Also quite a lot of bubbles seem to be going up to the surface, despite my spray bar doing it's best to send them back down.

Does this mean that if I got one I would be able to use it with a seperate inlet pipe and a spray bar to disperse the CO2 straight into the tank
You realy should ask them but i guess that''s true. I had my homebuild reactor on a Eheim pump with a separate intake and outflow.

Even though I haven't heard back from either supplier of the Aqua Medic I contacted ( I'll probably buy elsewhere now if they can't be bothered to reply) I've done a bit more research and it would appear ( if I'm correct) that the new model with a pump attachment, is to create a swirl effect. It's only a small pump and wouldn't be powerful enough to use with a spray bar and inlet.
So I'm wondering if I get a non pump model ( Which are much cheaper ) could I attach a large pump, so it can make use of its own inlet and spray bar? How does the CO2 diffuse into the reactor water if it's not being swirled around?
What sort of pump was yours, and what size do you think would do the job of giving a good spray bar effect in a 350 litre?

that the new model with a pump attachment, is to create a swirl effect.

Like the sound of that. Had thought of adding a small pump myself to create a swirl effect, but finding time to find the right parts and the fitting them together in a leak proof way that can handle the pressures doesnt really happen ATM

Any links for the new reactor?

Back