• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with DIY LED Strip Setup

Monkfish

I've removed the compact T5 bulbs in my River Ref 48 and have put some 6500K LED Strips from Amazon in there. At the moment they are only small lengths and want to put more in.

I am thinking of removing the standard lid completely and making my own LED stand like the Chihiros ones. My question is, would it be ok to just have the 6500K white LEDs or would it be best to also include red and blue or just blue? I've only got easy care plants in my tank.

Thanks in advance
Steve

I was worried about how waterproof they might actually be, but was going to put a perspex lid on the tank anyway as my kids anad cat would not be able to resist putting hands, paws and objects in the tank.

Made a DIY LED light recently and it turned out quite well, you can see it here.
I used waterproof strip and connectors, which are a bit of a joke really, so covering the connectors with silicone is a sensible thing to do.
The adhesive on the LED strip will probably fail after a while, so I've used some epoxy in places to make sure it doesn't dangle in the tank. ;)

Made a DIY LED light recently and it turned out quite well, you can see it here.
I used waterproof strip and connectors, which are a bit of a joke really, so covering the connectors with silicone is a sensible thing to do.
The adhesive on the LED strip will probably fail after a while, so I've used some epoxy in places to make sure it doesn't dangle in the tank. ;)

Wow that looks amazing. Thats given me new direction to look at. My tank isn't at big as that, but lovely idea.

You can also get LED strips that are made of PCB rather than strip, they are not water proof of course, but can be screwed to the lighting fixture so you don't have to rely on adhesive to hold them in place. Not cheap unfortunately, but will be absolutely fine in a raised moisture free lighting fixture, like Monkfish's superb light.

Back