• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thank you everyone for your advice on the algae, I really appreciate it.

I've raised the Solar 1 significantly and it has helped. What I don't understand is that it was 30cm away from the surface before which is what ADA recommend/others use, and I was carrying out a significant maintenance schedule on the tank, yet saw a huge explosion in this brown algae. It was growing back incredibly fast.

Also, I do have 6 amanos, although there is only so much they can do on their own in the battle against this much algae! There are a couple of rasboras in there now too, which I am looking after for a friend whilst he rescapes.

I have actually been away on holiday for the past couple of weeks and so I have left the tank in the hands of someone at home. They are carrying out water changes, and I reduced lighting period to 4hrs and CO2 respectively. He sent me this picture the other day and to my huge surprise the tank looks pretty good considering it has had little maintenance (and no ferts....!). I guess lowering light massively really helps with algae and slowing the tank down.
IMG_8953.JPG

Obviously still bits of the brown algae about and ludwigia arcuata seemingly suffering. pogostemon stellata has lost its red colour too. However, I reckon once I'm back a few big cleaning and trimming sessions the tank will bounce back and finally be well on its way to success (crossed fingers!), and some exciting fish on the way too!

Last edited:
Hello all, its been a long while since I've posted an update on this tank. Unfortunately this tank is still suffering with algae and I am on the verge of giving up... maybe some of you here can give me some motivation to keep this alive! I really like the scape itself, but the algae is ruining the experience. Brown hair algae which just refuses to go away - particularly in the MC carpet, crypts and anubias. I've got CO2 dialled in perfectly and dosing recommended dosage of liquid Fert. The only thing I can think of is the Solar 1. I've raised it to 45cm above the tank now but still have these problems. I did buy it used, and its not the stock bulb so I'm thinking maybe its way overpowered or something?

Also, I bought a load of lovely bucephalandra + s repens from aquarium gardens which is melting away pretty quickly for some reason :( Im reluctant to keep on adding new plants because they just seem to get the algae eventually as well. Does anyone know what would cause these plants to melt?

Heres a photo mid WC, doesn't look bad from a distance at least!

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 20.33.21.png

Sorry to hear of your algae woe. I agree the scape looks great, very much in the Amano style.

Maybe just let the stems overgrow the scape. Stems in optimal conditions will put algae to the sword. The stems can always be cut back hard when the algae looks to have faded.

Could also try a black out?

Good luck. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic scape.

I found that Black Helmet Nerite Snail (Neritina pulligera) seem to do amazing job clearing off bba and other algae from wood. The size and diversity of the clean up crew made a big difference for me as did adding in floating plants tp provide natural shade.

I am not an expert, however, 4 hours light may mean that the plants aren't getting enough light ..perhaps increase the duration.

Just don't give up! Superb scape!

Nerites are good. If it’s mainly BBA then it will go eventually. Just a tank settling in thing. It lasted a long time for me.

When you start seeing green spot algae the BBA will disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back