• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate advice

Jayouz

I was going to get the substrate in the tank today but realised how fine the silver sand I have is
and don't want to risk it compacting so need to get something else....

What is a coarse enough sand that I can use? Or should I go with something like tropica soil?

I went to the local shop and all they had was terrible colour gravel :sick:

If I went with the soil would it be a problem to leave the layer of growth substrate in? :facepalm:

Thanks for any advice! :)

I haven't been able to find anywhere locally and shipping prices seem a little high, it ends up more expensive than aqua soil!

What sort of depth silver sand could I get away with? Would bulking it up a bit more with growth substrate be ok? I have an extra bag of that already, I also realised being a small square tank I probably wouldn't have much room for insane sloping anyway.

Try eBay, it's pretty cheap for a 25 Kg bag with free delivery...
0.4 - 0.8 mm
1.0 - 2.0 mm

I used 1.0 - 2.0 mm below...
33971642550_6e5a628fa4_c-jpg.jpg

Thanks for the link, without shipping costs that's pretty tempting! It looks nice and natural as well.

Trying plugging your postcode in here: https://hugokamishi.com/dealers/ that's a fairly common brand in garden centres/fish shops and they do some natural coloured fine gravel (1-2mm). It's the shipping that is expensive for substrate!

Not really, but it doesn't take long either way. I just shoved it all in to an old washing up bowl ran water over it, stirred and drained a few times.

Back