• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Filter/heater positioning

Bettascape

Seedling
I am setting up my first planted tank. Using Fiji sand and Fluvial stratum.

I was just wondering what is the best relative position for my filter and heater?

I've added the sand and will be adding the soil next. The soil will be higher on the right hand side and with lava rocks.

I will be planting:

Hair grass (carpet)
Echinidorus Reno (x2)
LargeLarge Hygro Siamensis (x1 but split into smaller cuttings)

Some pics for sense of scale
IMG_20190407_200839.jpg
IMG_20190407_200746.jpg

Does it need a heater !!! how warm is your house? three out of four of my tanks dont have heaters and they are fine water is around 22-23 degrees. So the best place for the heater my be in the box it came in IMO dependant on what livestock you plan ;)

The way that particular Aqua-el filter (pretty low flow IME), the heater would ideally be right next to the filter :thumbup:.

If this will be a "high-tech" CO2 injected tank, you will probably need to add an extra circulation pump to keep CO2 distribution consistent, at which point it doesn't really matter where the heater is.
Edit: That's if you even need the heater, like Zues says. I don't bother with heaters in my tanks most of the year TBH. Though I would if I had fish that preferred warmer water like bettas, discus, rams etc.

Haha, yes I just stuck it there for the photo to show it's size I imagine someone somewhere has done that before though!

I have a Betta and am looking into getting some small shoaling fish (that he can coexist with) so will need the heater. I'll put it next to the filter as suggested!

It's my first planted tank so it's going to be pretty low tech for now. I've got a cheap Tropica ''system 60" canister c02 set up (see pic) so I'll see how that goes.

tropica-co2-system-nano-complete-kit_1.jpg

Would that be best situated next to the filter also? As it's not a bubble diffuser, rather it is one of the slow 'surface-release' setups (naff I know but will have to upgrade over time as some of those set ups are mega bucks!)

Thanks for your help!

Would that be best situated next to the filter also? As it's not a bubble diffuser, rather it is one of the slow 'surface-release' setups (naff I know but will have to upgrade over time as some of those set ups are mega bucks!)

Interesting, never seen one of those.
I would guess you’re best putting in wherever it will get good flow, ideally downwards and over the plants.

Fil

Back