• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Visibility of new posts and of shops

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Admin, Moderators, Tech-guys,
I was wondering if it would be possible to show a list of "New posts" on the front page. I find it a bit awkward to have to drill down into each section to find the new posts. It's not very difficult as the new post icon is fairly obvious but it's simply inconvenient. As the volume of threads grow I can see this becoming an issue. I'm not a web designer so I'm not criticizing the layout, which is otherwise excellent.

One more beef. I find the "where to buy stuff" section also a bit cumbersome for the same reason, having to drill down to each area of the country. I love the little maps, it did wonders for my geography, but this seems to be a bit over-engineered.

Now, I can see the logic of the layout; If you live in Wales you need only go to that section. Perfect. But what if the shop on Wales does e-trade and what if they ship to Yorkshire? The person living in Yorkshie would never know and would have had to drill down to every section to find this shop because perhaps there is nothing in his area.

Speaking of e-trade, you don't have a section for that, even though I'd be willing to bet many use these e-businesse like Aquaessentials, Greenline, Aquatics on-line etc. Newbies or new members need better visibility so that they will be confident that those particular e-businesses are safe and come highly recommended.

If you were to eliminate these regional delimiters all shops would have greater visibility. If someone wanted to find only shops in Wales it would be easy to do a search of that forum using "Wales" as a search parameter wouldn't it?

Again, I'm not flaming or slamming the design, just offering my thought for possible ergonomic improvements.

Cheers,

I tend to use the 'view new posts since last visit' button on the top right hand of the forum for checking for new posts.

Hi ulster,
Hey, you're right. I completely missed that. OK, nevermind about that one, problem solved. :oops:

Cheers,

You will find on the main Ukpas.org page we have a links tab! If you click this tab, you will see we have catagorised the links that any member has submited. This servse the e-shop dilema. It may well be a good idea to put a link in the where to buy section, within the announcement thread.
The where to buy regions are for shops not online shops. If they have an e-shop as part of that then members can put it in both sections.

I also think having this sections saves allot of scratching around for shops in your area. We are here to make it easyer for people not to hand it on a plate. The more people add to that section and the links section the better the survice for all our members.

So its up to you guys to be as descriptive and honest as you can possibly be.

Best wishes,
Graeme.

Back