• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

My general concern in regards to GMO is the long-term effect. Can we really control what's going to happen down the road when certain species make it back into nature and crossbreed with others? Or will they be less healthy?

I think the real ethical argument centres on the conflict between the use of GM technology for making a quick buck rather than its use for easing the suffering of humanity.

It was these ones i have seen in pets at home went to get cat food and just looked and they shooled beautifully that was what really caught my eye
Screenshot_20190410-185334_Samsung Internet.jpg

variegated Bucephalandra and Anubias
These are natural variations which appear in nature also.

I don''t have problems with selection to enhance features, people have done that for thousands of years, Heck even nature has done that for milions of years.
Selecting unhealthy features, like seen in all the brachycephalic dogs or in our meat poultry, is detrimental to the health of these animals.
Manipulating genes to include certain features is a border i don''t feel is healthy to cross, especially as there can be very big implemantations. Selective breeding goes slower and gives more time to judge and adjust the effects.

I wouldn't generally buy from pets at home the tanks are not great but they only arrived yesterday as one of there specials once there gone there gone kinda thing

I think the real ethical argument centres on the conflict between the use of GM technology for making a quick buck rather than its use for easing the suffering of humanity.

GM tech is used and abused even if it's for easing the suffering of humanity. Ranging from health care providers, insurance companies and the entire pharma cartel. Things may still be better in Europe, but the US system is brutal and sucks every cent out of humanity.

Monsanto is another example and doesn't need any further explanation.

GM tech is used and abused even if it's for easing the suffering of humanity. Ranging from health care providers, insurance companies and the entire pharma cartel. Things may still be better in Europe, but the US system is brutal and sucks every cent out of humanity.

Monsanto is another example and doesn't need any further explanation.

I think I'd classify all of the above as in it to make a fast buck...

Edvet and Tim good insights.

What do you mean by fast bucks. I assume you mean when screwing around with animals form and colour. Perhaps, also when using expensive patents like the gold rice scenario. Or even the expensive manufactured insulin in the US.

I wouldn't generally buy from pets at home the tanks are not great but they only arrived yesterday as one of there specials once there gone there gone kinda thing

They are a really common species that should be available easily for any lfs to order. I have them myself and whilst I love them for their activity and hardiness you really need tank mates that aren't intimidated by constantly swimming fish. I know plenty of people have seen fish like cpds hide away or be chased into the plants by their activity. The problem can be amplified by their tendency to hog the middle waters, my pencilfish certainly prefer the tank without them.

Like Marcel says. But to expand a little...hijacking technology and corrupting it's more ethical aims for frivolous purposes like glowfish.

They won’t have any interference in nature.
There is always biological cost - cell energy and “manufacturing” machinery and components that would go into more useful proteins etc is instead diverted to this novel molecule which offers no evolutionary advantage

Rumour is that there are some longterm consequences re internal (organ & cellular) damage, reduced lifespan etc

But apparently they sell “like hot cakes” at a local shop (which brought them in after constant customer requests)

I mowed the yard. Love those guys. They don't show any fear. I was working the scissors and other equipment for an hour in the tank and they picked on my skin and inspected every piece of equipment. Was a real pain in the ass to make sure that I didn't cut any of them.

Now they are schooling and chasing around nonstop, so much energy.

DSC2072.jpg

Last edited:
Well, one female was chasing the guy constantly, and soon after the other female ganged up on him as well.

The females are now in the dog house that I put up within an hour on Sunday.

They guy is happy as a clamp and came out of hiding, the females get along as well.

I think I'll only add some moss to it.

Img-1930.png

Back