• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cover glass.

SRP3006

Hi all,

Trying to clean the cover glasses on aquarium, they are cover in hard water deposits from keeping African cichlids.
I have tried vinegar and elbow grease to no avail, even leaving to soak overnight.

Has anyone used anything that has got rid of these marks?

The old tank used to be dosed with Epsom salt and bicarb for buffering the hardness. That could be what's causing the marks... can anybody help?
8033f8c96e971d133cef046f7cb71902.jpg

I would try Citric acid. They often sell it as a descaler in supermarkets but I buy bottles of Citric acid from the auction site as it’s cheaper. If that doesn’t do it then you may need to polish it out.

I would try Citric acid. They often sell it as a descaler in supermarkets but I buy bottles of Citric acid from the auction site as it’s cheaper. If that doesn’t do it then you may need to polish it out.
Funny you should say that. I even mixed some citric acid powder with the vinegar.. the Mrs is always using it to clean the kettle etc so thought it would work but didn't.. thanks. Didn't know if was safe to polish it out. I've heard toothpaste can work tho.

Thanks guys.
I used to clean them every week but had to take old tank down rather quickly due to crack and the cover glasses got left to one side. Might try warm citric acid, as like I said Mrs cleans kettle with it but has to be boiling. Not about to do that to the glass

Tank is not set up yet so got plenty of time to use certain things on them and rinse residue for several weeks.

clean the cover glasses on aquarium,

Approx 0.1M HCl will work. If you have a patio to clean then Acid Patio Cleaning Fluid will work (about 10 to 15% HCl) wash of the detergent that is mixed with it. Also makes excellent loo descaler. Usual precautions when dealing with mineral acids.

Thanks, I was wondering if I could you some form of limescale kitchen cleaner and plenty of water. As we have PLENTY of those cleaners

SRP

I would not be surprised if it has worked its way into the glass and it's going to be impossible to clean. Another problem you might have it could be a cheap glass and impossible to clean.

My suggestion go to a glazier and get a new piece of glass and clean it weekly and more if necessary. It's far safer than using strong chemicals.

I use Citric Acid "Super Market Cooking section" to clean the toilets lower bends the difference is it's soaking in water and left on for several hrs, overnight preferable.

Keith:wave::wave:

SRP

I would not be surprised if it has worked its way into the glass and it's going to be impossible to clean. Another problem you might have it could be a cheap glass and impossible to clean.

My suggestion go to a glazier and get a new piece of glass and clean it weekly and more if necessary. It's far safer than using strong chemicals.

I use Citric Acid "Super Market Cooking section" to clean the toilets lower bends the difference is it's soaking in water and left on for several hrs, overnight preferable.

Keith:wave::wave:
Thanks, I thought it might have etched it's way into the glass however I can still feel 'raised' areas where it is on the glass if you see what I mean..

I'll look into the patio cleaner as recommended and give that a go. If that doesn't work then I'll go to glazers.

Yes, often called brick cleaner, but check ingredients. If Hydrofluoric acid leave well alone. Nasty stuff. It will soak through skin and attack bones. Will also etch glass.
Hydrochloric acid is fine, if in doubt ask for a Hazard sheet.
However the part about 'soak through skin and attack bones' is slightly worrying
Not had any previous experience with acids.

SRP, if you want to PM me your address I’ll pop half a dozen of those blades in the post if you like.
Thank you very much for the kind offer.. been out most of the day so had a bit of a go at removing with some of the suggested methods.
I ended up using lemon mixed with bi carb to make a sort of fizzing paste, no use. Used vinegar with plenty of clean razor blades attached to a scraper. Might of shifted something but nothing much.. warm citric acid and elbow grease also didn't do much at all..

This will certainly teach me not to neglect glasswork again.

Back