• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Moss Wall

Quite a number of years ago one of the LFS I used to visit had a small Nano, probably 10L. The whole of the back of the tank had a “Wall” of Java moss and it looked very good. Do any of you know how this was likely to have been done? I’m guessing a large piece of stainless steel mesh may have been seeded with moss but I’ve not seen anything bigger than a couple of inches square on sale. Can you use any old stainless mesh?

Thanks for that, just had a Google. Most seem to use plastic mesh that requires suckers to fix it but I’m wondering if stainless steel would be best as I can just bury the bottom in the substrate and clip the top. Anyone tried this? Stainless mesh seems cheap enough and obviously won’t have a tendency to float like plastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-...locphy=1006634&hvtargid=pla-613977687072&th=1

There are moss walls in several of the Tropica www tanks - all of them done with stainless steel mesh and fishing line.
You are right, this can stand on its own buried slightly in the bottom-layer. It is very easy to gently lift out the entire set, for cleaning and/or trimming. A good way to thicken your moss wall is to press the long branches of moss back at mesh and re-tie with fishing line. Pressing the moss downwards initiate better branching. Be aware, though, that fish may try to go behind the mesh, so either leave room for that or try to press tight to glass.
Also note, that creating a decent growth at especially top corners require a light-source that actually reach these places. This may call for something extra in many "standard" tanks.
You may want to use Taxiphyllum 'spiky' instead of Taxiphyllum barbierii (standard Javamos). It is every bit as tolerant, but has a "thicker" appearance and branch out better.

There are moss walls in several of the Tropica www tanks - all of them done with stainless steel mesh and fishing line.
You are right, this can stand on its own buried slightly in the bottom-layer. It is very easy to gently lift out the entire set, for cleaning and/or trimming. A good way to thicken your moss wall is to press the long branches of moss back at mesh and re-tie with fishing line. Pressing the moss downwards initiate better branching. Be aware, though, that fish may try to go behind the mesh, so either leave room for that or try to press tight to glass.
Also note, that creating a decent growth at especially top corners require a light-source that actually reach these places. This may call for something extra in many "standard" tanks.
You may want to use Taxiphyllum 'spiky' instead of Taxiphyllum barbierii (standard Javamos). It is every bit as tolerant, but has a "thicker" appearance and branch out better.

Thanks for that.

Back