• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

Well we have decided that today will be our first day of spring. (The nation can choose March 1 or March 20, depending on preference of seasonal calendar). The grass got cut, a thrush is singing its socks off in the silver birch, the wife is planting rose bushes again, she must have about 130 by now and our cat ventured out into the garden for the first time since we had her and came back in. She's a re homer and very timid. The avatar is of our old guy, a rescue cat, sadly now no more.

Oh and a green bin got filled, nice to get your moneys worth.

Happy Gardening.

Nice. We cut the grass this weekend.

Interesting about the green bin. In Huntingdonshire we get a fortnightly green bin for free but pay £45 per year for another second physical green bin so we have 2 collected fortnightly.

Cambridge donot have any green bin collection at all in the winter months so I understand.

Recently we had a family get together and people from Yorkshire and Somerset said they all had to pay for any green collection (exciting our get togethers you see!)

No doubt the standard charge will come our way soon.....

Most things in Guernsey are pretty expensive but we have a great free green waste system.
Not only can you take any amount for free but, it is then offered back to you after it has been processed into super rich “soil conditioner” as it is called!

Most things in Guernsey are pretty expensive but we have a great free green waste system.
Not only can you take any amount for free but, it is then offered back to you after it has been processed into super rich “soil conditioner” as it is called!

Smart. We have to buy it back. Last time I bought some it was £2.50 for a bag but that was quite a while ago now so no doubt it’s gone up.

th?id=OIP.jpg
We had a Goldcrest in the front garden yesterday. It was working over a small conifer. Wife and I had a very good view through the porch widow. (not our pic). Went for the camera, just about got it in focus and the little s@d flew away.

th?id=OIP.jpg
We had a Goldcrest in the front garden yesterday. It was working over a small conifer. Wife and I had a very good view through the porch widow. (not our pic). Went for the camera, just about got it in focus and the little s@d flew away.

Wonderfull! Can't remember ever seeing one so colorfull..

Interesting little things Goldcrest very curious birds. Seem to behave a bit like wrens, had one running around my feet a few years ago seemed to be looking for insects disturbed by my footsteps. It stayed next to me for quite a few minutes while I took its photo, it was a pleasure & here it is...….

Goldcrest.jpg

Hi all,
Brilliant photo.
It stayed next to me for quite a few minutes while I took its photo, it was a pleasure & here it is...…
In the winter we get "tame" Goldcrests (and <"much rarer Firecrests">) from N. Scandanavia etc, where they are unused to people and don't regard us as a threat.

Goldcrests are actually quite a common resident bird, often in parks and gardens where you have conifers. I can't hear them any more, but they have a very high pitched tzee tzee call. You virtually never see our resident ones, and they don't visit bird feeders etc.

cheers Darrel

Interesting little things Goldcrest very curious birds.
Lovely LBJ, very much like a wren. I used to get them in my garden in rural Notts flitting in and out of the red current hedge.
What about a “Hoopoe” anyone spotted one of those?
I've seen them in Israel, does that count ? :)

Not seen or heard of one this year but there are normally a few around about now.
Last one I saw was 5 years back.
I did go and watch the Fulmars last Sunday though, if you can find them by looking from the high cliffs, as you look down, it looks like they are being flown by remote control .
We have lots of pale phase buzzards that seem to be breeding and producing almost completely white birds.

Hi all,
Fulmars last Sunday though, if you can find them by looking from the high cliffs, as you look down, it looks like they are being flown by remote control .
I've always thought that, I think it is the stiff wings and lack of wing beats. Fulmars are the most fantastic gliders, they (and Shearwaters) are really just <"little Albatrosses">.

cheers Darrel

Ha, this is one of those "little differences" moments between our cultures! I was going to post pictures of my vegetable garden, for some reason us yanks call our lawn area our "yard." My home is on a small wooded lot in the mountains. It's lovely, except for bears and mountain lions. It's a bit early for planting vegetables here, but a few things are starting to pop up.
Like asparagus (big plant is rhubarb)
IMG_1926.JPG

And azalea :
IMG_1925.JPG

My pond was trashed by a bear this spring, so just put in a new liner. Going to take a while, but should be pretty again by late summer:
IMG_1927.JPG

Back