• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Layout critique.

SRP3006

Hi all.

Been playing about with my scape for a few days now, just need a little nudge in the right direction (or big nudge if needed).

It's a 48x24x24 nd aquatics tank with soil and sand substrate. High tech heavily planted is the goal.

What do you guys think?

Apologies for reflections.

Cheers.
da35258291a33bd958722149052b5b62.jpg

Last edited:
It depends on the style you are looking to achieve, are you looking for a concave style layout or did you have something else in mind ?

TBH didn't have any particular style in mind. Just a layout that looks good/balanced and will function well if u get my drift.

It’s a big tank
Big hardscape provides a better sense of scale

Rocks are too small - sit too flat for the tank height and they will be lost with most plant plant growth (even a HC or MC carpet will easily obscure them), maybe try stacking them for height???

Wood - also just not “enough” for the tank size, combining the wood in one area with layered rock might be worth a try
(of course then you need more hardscape ;))

If substrate is mostly sand, then care is needed re depth of the sand (to limit anaerobic development of the substrate ) - use an “under” layer similar in structure to ADA Power Sand

If substrate is mostly sand, then care is needed re depth of the sand (to limit anaerobic development of the substrate ) - use an “under” layer similar in structure to ADA Power Sand

Substrate is aquatic compost and peat capped with unipac limpopo sand to a depth of 3cm at the front to 5 or 6cm at the back. The 'mound' has been created using tights filled with 5mm to 8mm gravel on top on portions of egg crate.

The soil and sand had been separated using greenhouse shading mesh.

Last edited:
Rocks are too small - sit too flat for the tank height and they will be lost with most plant plant growth (even a HC or MC carpet will easily obscure them), maybe try stacking them for height???

Wood - also just not “enough” for the tank size, combining the wood in one area with layered rock might be worth a try
(of course then you need more hardscape ;))

Thank you. I have laid/pushed the rocks into the sand..Maybe laying them on their side could work? Biggest surface facing the front on the tank...

Yes, definitely add height to the rocks - you can use less comely rocks to support the ones you want to see - plants etc will soon obscure them

SRP3006
Been playing about with my scape for a few days now, just need a little nudge in the right direction (or big nudge if needed)

I am very sorry to say a massive push will do wonders.
At the moment I can see two seperate areas divided by a wide uninteresting space.
The DW is very carefully surrounded by all those small rocks very uninteresting and unnatural.

On the plus you have some excellent DW and small rocks to work with.

Here are a few ideas for you to think about.

With a few well selected large rocks you should be able to create an excellent Aquascape.

Big question have you thought about working in a Mock tank first using sand as a substrate?

Keith:wave::wave:

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

More rocks added and couldn't resist that lovely bit of wood. What do you guys think? The front will be hopefully carpeted by Eleocharis Acicularis.
0624352ac4422fe217c612b94bd10dc4.jpg

At the moment I can see two seperate areas divided by a wide uninteresting space.
The DW is very carefully surrounded by all those small rocks very uninteresting and unnatural.

[/QUOTE]

Two separate areas have been combined. Rocks attempted to be placed without human touch with human touch

A few thoughts.

-twist the stones slightly, they look like they have been carefully stood up by a person rather than nature.

- are you planting the foreground? I’m confused by the overall flat substrate and being really thin at the front, whilst still looking the same as the back.

- wood is lovely, you can’t really go wrong with that.

Have a look at this video to give you an idea of building islands.

Hope that helps.

- are you planting the foreground? I’m confused by the overall flat substrate and being really thin at the front, whilst still looking the same as the back.

Yes the foreground will be planted. The substrate at the back left is built up upon inert gravel in tights to a depth of 20cm and 3cm at the front. But I'm confused as to why it doesn't look like it.

Ok. Just looks very at the front for planting. That soil needs to be capped very well.

Hope the video helped.
I agree I will play about with it..maybe moving the wood and stones closer to the back to show some of the slope would give it more depth?

I don't understand what you mean 'the soil needs to be capped very well'

Sorry complete noob at aquascaping and using dirt.

Moved the wood and rocks towards the back and twisted a few of the rocks to break up the 'line'
ce9aea6d734c686398bf536bbd9b2323.jpg

:wave::wave:SRP3006
0624352ac4422fe217c612b94bd10dc4.jpg

I prefer this Aquascape for several reasons but a few simple changes and it should look even better.
In this Aquascape the DW are working together to give an excellent eyeflow. The other Aquascape are pointing at each other making it look like two Aquascapes.
By pushing everything back you now have created a big open space and lost all your distance perspective.

SRP
I roughly checked your 4 focal points and all are perfect, well done.
Here are a few suggestions for you to think about.
1 Rock I would remove it's blocking the bases of the DW, it now can be softened with a few low plants
2 Rock lay it vertical. This is now the starting point for your perspective and a starting point for a smooth eye flow.
3 Rock lay it flat with the now bottom pointing to where number 2 was. Reason it's giving you a direction where to look more eye flow

Now you can see the DW more and as the LH side low plants to soften the area.

Low plants can now be placed in and around those rocks.

SRP%20_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back