• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Hi All,

Currently giving away 20 massive stems of ludwigia glandulosa to anyone willing to pay the postage.

If not, they will land at the LFS again :D

20190414_143633.jpg 20190406_065822.jpg 20190312_155629.jpg 20190312_155551.jpg 20190414_143722.jpg 20190309_084749.jpg 20190309_084902.jpg 20190406_153509.jpg

Thanks
Fil

Getting some store credit is better than binning them:thumbup:

Agree.

Im growing lots of fissidens on steel mesh, that stuff sells like hot cakes. So far feedback has been very good.

20190419_134836.jpg

Wish I could find one or more plants that has strong demand, and grow those.

Its all good fun!

Fil

I do believe large tanks will be more stable ( thus less changing environmenty, plants need to adapt less often)and will have a larger buffer of ferts ( again less changes).
Off course Filip could be Alan Titmarshes cousin or Beth Chatto''s grandchild.

You must know something we don’t? ....

I do!!!
Throw money at it until it works!!!

But honestly, I really dont know what I am doing differently. Maybe its all the tech? Maybe my tap water? Maybe patience? Maybe not overthinking things? Maybe not overcleaning?

Could be all of the above and then some.

It would be interesting to have an experienced scaper see the beast in person and tell me what they think.

I do believe large tanks will be more stable ( thus less changing environmenty, plants need to adapt less often)

+1

The Beast has spoiled smaller tanks for me! :D

We might move house in the next 10 years or so, and if we do...

Oh boy... lets just say I will look for one with an indoor pool ;)

Fil

Wow
Moved plants around yesterday.
the second picture in the post with quote above looks like theres no water, which is I'm sure 1 of the biggest goals.
Looks amazing and very clean.
I bet you cannot stop looking at it and I bet the beast wont let you rest.
You need shears.

I guess good flow and good co2 still is key ingredient and is harder to get then ppl might think..

That was a challenge. Initially the flow was set up like in any other tank, i.e. along the surface, down at the far end and back over the substrate.
But due to the size and shape, I changed it to a more "whirpool" circular movement.
Next day, pearling all over!!

looks like theres no water

I think pictures/videos are very forgiving. Somehow they dont pick up the little bits floating around. I can see plenty with my naked eye!

I bet you cannot stop looking at it and I bet the beast wont let you rest.

I do find myself staring at it.
Sometimes I spot a fish or shrimp Ive not seen for weeks and think "oh, hello old friend!" :D

Ive recently started a new job, and been putting in 12h days. I dont touch the tank for 5 days straight (the Mrs feeds the fish). Absolutely no issues.

Just trim over the weekend, lump a bucket of plants at my LFS. Done.

You need shears.

Trimming quite a lot over the weekends. And already gotten rid of the fast growers!!!!!
Dwarf sag was the worst. Had to get rid after failing to find an underwater lawnmower.

Its quite amusing to read: "ludwigia glandulosa is a slow grower even in ideal conditions", then trim a bucket full again... :D

Thanks for reading
Fil

Last edited:
Great tank, could well be mistaken for actual underwater footage in the wild somewhere!:clap:

Thank you!
Someone has mentiones this to me before.
I think its the unconventional shape of the tank that does it. The 5.5 x 5.5 square footing to be exact.

Actually I seem to remember being criticised for it on here at design stage ;)

Thanks for reading
Fil

Back