• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Underwater Liverwort in Well

TBRO

Hi All,

Was poking around my Dad’s place and came across the old water well, deep in the undergrowth.

I noticed a liverwort growing below the surface. Could it be Riccardia chamedryfolia?

e5d5f2f4cf46e1139f040c64f4390925.jpg

c5b61a923ea9a314f1bc6ffe28e0dafc.jpg

fe53f86407c579b1381e1e89d5386cac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent information as always, the tap water round here is very soft but I’ve tested this well and the GH/KH was surprisingly high.

b504bb90b86dae1dbf400f949921e1f8.jpg

I found this growing on the brickwork of a canal lock in Staffordshire. Sounds likely to be the pellia you describe. Is it an aquatic species or just likes wet spots near water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
the GH/KH was surprisingly high.
The Hart's-tongue fern (Asplenium scolopedrium) and Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) are plants you would associate with base rich conditions, so I guessed the water had some bases in it.
Sounds likely to be the pellia you describe. Is it an aquatic species or just likes wet spots near water?
I associate it with the tops of stones in limestone streams, but I don't think it needs to be continually wet. It is the only liverwort (that looks like this) that you find in very base rich water. <"Pellia epiphylla"> can look almost identical, and is also really common, but it grows in less base rich conditions.

AquaMoos sell <"P. epiphylla">.
I found this growing on the brickwork of a canal lock in Staffordshire.
I'm pretty sure that one is <"Conocephalum conicum">, it looks quite big and chunky, and you can see the very obvious pale dots (air pores), it is a common Liverwort in any damp, bare places.

cheers Darrel

Back