• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lauris

Hellooo all,

It has been a while since I have been here. Due to studies and my job and my time, that I can spare with my family, I had no space for this up till now. 18 months of break with 1 failed DSM (due to no time) in between and I'm back on the track again.

Still with the same size of a tank, just different shapes...

So I will start this with a technical description, before I give some sneak-peak into it through very few photos.

Tank specs
Tank: 90L (60x40x40 cm)
Light: ADA Aquasky 602
Filter: JBL e1501
Additional water movement: VorTech MP10
Heater: Hydor external
Glassware: The Lily one + glass surface skimmer
CO2: Yes
Twinstar: Yes, Nano
Auto Doser pump: Yes, 3 channels

Substrate: ADA amazonia
Stones: Dragon
Wood: Yes
Plants(planned): Altermanthera reineckii mini, Hygrophila lancea Araguaia, Pogostemon erectus, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'

Water: RO+Aquadur re-minerals.
Plant food: EI, dosing 10ml of Macro and Micro every other day + Easy carbo 5ml daily.
Water changes: aiming for weekly 50%
Photo period: aiming to increase it gradually to 6,5-7hrs. Starting with 5hrs a day and only 1 LED bar at operation.

Live stock:
A shoal of 12 Ember Tetras
2 pairs of German Blue Rams, juvelines
5 Otocinclus
2 Amano shrimps

So, this project started back in September 2018 and initially was set to be:
29757541797_b7578a4d2b_z.jpg

My DSM with Cuba failed big time due to my busy life schedule and no time to keep up with maintenance.

Then it was left as above until now, where I finally will have more time around it (no studies in summer time and daughter will be sent off to granny's place :) ), and I decided to change the direction of it... Suddenly realized that plain stones and carpet is not my thing and I desire for wood and more dense planting...

Then the change happened, my Dragons Den took a different shape...
46791429015_c7831f5581_c.jpg

47654511452_de9c76bca0_c.jpg

I'm still waiting for few bits and pieces to arrive from different parts of this world, but the aim is to get it planted within next 2 weeks.

Thank you for reading, and the update will follow soon..

Last edited:
Welcome back!

Your Adventures in Aquascaping are always among my favorites :D

Love your choice in wood (as always)

Wonderful hardscapes! Dragon Stone is weird stuff, you make it look very natural. T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now looks spot on that mate, give the dsm another try it really does help in the long run.

what's your plans with the mp10?
are you going to use the sponge cover or something else?

now looks spot on that mate, give the dsm another try it really does help in the long run.

what's your plans with the mp10?
are you going to use the sponge cover or something else?

Yes, you are absolutely right, I will dry start it, but it will be a very quick one, for 2 weeks, no more. Just enough to give plnts a chance to root in a bit.

MP10 will run on the constant current setting and minimum flow to give a better distribution for co2 and fertilisation. I have tested it already and it will be fine without any sponge. I was looking at many different pumps, but they all are bulky, this was the only one whre wet side of it takes little to no space in tank. And I like fancy gadgets.. Can't help myself with that :D

It is an interesting and simplified approach, but I'm affraid I won't have few weeks to go with it. 2 weeks max and I will flood it. I think it won't be enough for sprinkling it like a pinch of salt :D

2 weeks root development

J left it several weeks as that suited his work (away) schedule
He mentioned later it was the densest MMC carpet he’d ever grown (lifted just this past week or so for a new scape)

2 weeks. ummm think you may be better off planting then filling. yes you will get the odd root and plant stay in place but most if not all will float away. You are looking at 5-6 weeks minimum to get a decent root system ready for filling using the dsm.
Yes it is lazy but not without it's daily needs.
firstly it needs a daily removal of the cling film/ plastic sheet/ cover to circulate the air within the tank.
secondly it needs a daily misting if not twice per day.
thirdly you still have to overcome melt when you fill.

good luck though mate.

2 weeks root development

J left it several weeks as that suited his work (away) schedule
He mentioned later it was the densest MMC carpet he’d ever grown (lifted just this past week or so for a new scape)

I must admit, looks good and promising.. But I think I still will go with traditional approach. But great to know this lazy method.. I might try it next time as I'm not entirely sure how the Altermanthera reineckii mini and Hygrophila lancea Araguaia will act on dry start (this is why I considered to flood it within 2 weeks)

This part I found the most challenging after few dsm starts.. Might be I'm wrong or I was doing it wrong, but in my experience than longer is the dsm duration, than higher is the challenge of meling at flooding.

Yes it is lazy but not without it's daily needs.
firstly it needs a daily removal of the cling film/ plastic sheet/ cover to circulate the air within the tank.
secondly it needs a daily misting if not twice per day.
Did you follow Jurijs tank at the time?
(maybe we observed differently :))

Back