• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Brown algae problems

Cuber

Seedling
Hello,

I have just recently started a night tech planted tank. The tank has now been running for about a month now and I still cant seem to get rid of the brown algae. Does anybody know how long does this kind of algae stays around for? My ammonia and nitrite levels are still up a bit. Does anybody know how long it should take for those levels to reach zero? I am assuming that once those levels reach zero the brown algae will go away.

Hey,

I am doing right now about 80% water change every other day. The light is a twinstar 600s that runs for 7 hours with 100% intensity. The fertilizer that I am using is the Tropica specialized and I dosing about 4ml everyday. There is no livestock in the tank as well. Ammonia is around 0.25 ppm Nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate is around 5 ppm

Here are some pictures

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0002.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 159
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 142
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 143
Diatomic algae is pretty common at the start while the tank is establishing. It normally goes away as the tank settles..
While the tank is new I would drop your lighting period to 6 hours and intensity to 50%, as your plants grow you can gradually increase this..

Your plants need Nitrates, check that your fertiliser has both macro and micro fertilizers.

Back