• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Hey Tim, my experience of the Chihiros reactors is they seem to last no longer than 2 months. After the first clean the output always seems reduced. Almost as though there is a coating that is removed when first cleaning that impacts the function.

No electric shock here with either my Chihiros or twinstar (did have it once with a heater that went to earth so removed/replaced it). Had mine about 18 months both. Hard to compare the one in 500l tank with 50l tank OFC but the one in bigger tank sclaes up quicker. Tend to order a few at a time from ebay.
Your twinstar controller may just be on its way out some electric components just happen to not last as long as they should

Zeus, in your 500l what setting do you have it set to, and how long do the reactors last before you have to replace them?

Zeus, in your 500l what setting do you have it set to, and how long do the reactors last before you have to replace them?

I have the Chihiros doctor in my 500L and the twinstar nano in my 50l reason is the Chihiros is more powerful eg more bubbles. Try to descale them weekly as I have Very Hard water- to hard for them really if you go of the manual. I then replaced the reactor mesh when it works poorly, the 500L tank one never lasts as long normally a few months but I dont log it :oops: I have both set on the first setting

Is this the point where I should say, I ran my Twinstar for a year or so without ever cleaning o_O the reactor :oops:

Then gave it a good rinse when I rescaped the tank, then thought maybe I should buy a new reactor (susceptible to ukaps propaganda ;)) ... which I never did as it’s no longer available locally and shipping is more than I’m willing to pay :rolleyes:

Maybe I should unearth it from the cupboard (yes it’s been there ever since re my laziness) and see if it’s still a worthy Mist Maker :D

(the perils of soft tap water)

Thanks for the replies guys, it's much appreciated, and thanks for sharing your experiences @Siege, they were all very helpful.
I guess then that the problems are common to both Twinstar and Chihiros alike, which is reassuring.

By M3 started working again. Came home from work and it was working.
I think the problem with the twinstar. Is that the unit is like a black box. You don’t know if it is working or not. I had to read every post on the unit across the web to realize that TDS was important to the unit. There is no feedback telling you anything when it will come on and why it is not coming on. If I ever get a chance to talk to a company rep. He or her will get an ear full as to what is needed for this device.

Yep, my chihiros has gone through 2 reactors in 7 months. Cleaned one in a vinegar solution and it doesn’t work the same. Bleach didn’t remove the scale. Looks like a relitively expensive piece of kit when buying new reactors every few months.

I really don't know if ozone would be of much benefit in our planted tanks but it has been used in virtually every other type of fishkeeping environment like marines & Koi pond, even human swimming pools.
The only experience I have had with an ozone generator was in the 80s & they were pretty dangerous things to have around the house but I am sure they are safer nowadays?
So the question is ... is the twinspar an ozone generator & if so would it be of any benefit to us?
I've scoured the site looking for a straight forward answer to how it works, but been constantly confronted by patronising sales patter. It doesn't make me want to buy

there is no magic anti algae machine, simply because algae can have many causes and there is not one solution for all of them.

but higher oxygen levels, ultra clear water and maybe even a little disinfection all make sense, so not that bad.

I've scoured the site looking for a straight forward answer to how it works, but been constantly confronted by patronising sales patter. It doesn't make me want to buy
It's electrolysis... Literally a voltage is applied across 2 pieces of mesh that are spaced slightly apart. The current is flowing through the water inbetween the 2 pieces and molecules are ripped apart.

Bear in mind it's not producing 'pure hydrogen and oxygen' as keeps being stated in marketing material and the various YouTube shills but in fact the entire biological soup including all of our fertilisers and whatever else so the byproducts are essentially impossible to guess.

Certainly these electrolysis devices (which are all the same no matter what black magic the more expensive ones try to dress theirs in) are completely unproven in any independent test. Even people who've used them say they don't do anything.

Just a fizzy drink maker for those who need trinkets.

Yes the idea is that single cell things find it hard to live in oxygen rich water. Apparently the same technology that was used to make water safe during the war!

I know 2 people who have used for different purpose than I -
1 it prevented hole in the head disease on discus and another that prevented mould on high grade shrimp eggs.

Yes agree it is not a miracle cure for algae but all that oxygen can only be good for the plants, fish and filter imo.

Hi all,
I'll be honest <"I'm a sceptic">. We think that it generates nano and micro-bubbles.

cheers Darrel

I’m also a sceptic, but use it! Both chaps I mention got it for other reasons, they just reported back the differences they noticed since plugging it in.

Forgot to say it looks pretty cool also, which sometimes is the main factor! :)

Yes the idea is that single cell things find it hard to live in oxygen rich water. Apparently the same technology that was used to make water safe during the war!

I know 2 people who have used for different purpose than I -
1 it prevented hole in the head disease on discus and another that prevented mould on high grade shrimp eggs.

Yes agree it is not a miracle cure for algae but all that oxygen can only be good for the plants, fish and filter imo.
Do you think those tiny bubbles are contributing to the DOC? They're not dissolving as far as I can see, and not disturbing the surface of the water enough to do anything at that level.

I have my reactor just under my FX6 filter intake, that way 90% of the bubbles are taken in by the filter, which should increase the aerobic filtering capacity of the canister IMO, plus has the bonus of tank not full of micro bubbles.

Back