• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inline heaters

Jamie McGrath

Has anyone used an inline heater? How was your experience, any issues, dead fish, constant temperature? I’m thinking of getting one, bit worried about leaks . Would be good to get my one out of the tank, I think it would look better and make cleaning easier. I imagine it will affect the flow rate.

I have the 300, 14 months still good and 3 month on the 200 not missed a beat.
Water and electricity sometimes not fun

This is why I liked the under tank heater I had many years ago. The only thing in the tank was a sealed low voltage thermistor.

I've been using a Hydor external heater for about a year, the only issue I had was when my inlet gauze blocked up when on holiday and temp dropped.
Luckily everything survived.. fish and heater.

I now add an extra external heater when I go on holiday for more than a few days..

To resurrect this thread. I've noticed the hydors have gone up in price significantly with retail being £49.99.

Anyone used the ones listed below:
1. Aquael Flow (£51.99 but has a screen)
2. JBL Protemp e300 (Cheapest in price at £34.99)
3. Ista External Heater (£45.99)

I have an Aquael Flow Heater 300
running, and its great. its out of the way and easy to install.
one thing you got to be minded of is the fact the two compression nuts are a bit brittle, don't over tighten them as they may break

I have Ista 150W in both of my tanks (10 and 15 gallons) and it does perfectly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
To resurrect this thread. I've noticed the hydors have gone up in price significantly with retail being £49.99.

Anyone used the ones listed below:
1. Aquael Flow (£51.99 but has a screen)
2. JBL Protemp e300 (Cheapest in price at £34.99)
3. Ista External Heater (£45.99)
After being given a steer on another thread, I've gone for the JBL unit which has functioned fine for the last 4 or so weeks.

I have an Aquael Flow Heater 300
running, and its great. its out of the way and easy to install.
one thing you got to be minded of is the fact the two compression nuts are a bit brittle, don't over tighten them as they may break

After being given a steer on another thread, I've gone for the JBL unit which has functioned fine for the last 4 or so weeks.

Do they work with any 16/22mm tubing?

Depending on your DIY skills and if you are not quite confident with VAC230 volts you can build one yourself relatively affordable running at DC 12 volts with the use of a DC 12 volt Switching Powers Supply up to the task with the heaters Wattage.

You would need such an immersible 12V heater cartridge
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003165721534.html

A 12V thermostat
Amazon product ASIN B09H79K4PK
and a Thermister that can be screwed with a seal into the PVC housing of the cartridge.
Amazon product ASIN B07Y9WSZS6
I once did build such an inline heater, but unfortunately, I never documented the build. The only picture I currently can find is this. (Left hand corner bellow)
2nvgq3q-jpg.jpg

Anyway, it worked a charm for many years...

Attachments

• InlH.jpg
    InlH.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 55
Back