• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hi Tech Low/Medium Light Plant Experiment

Groovymule

Seedling
I’m new to Aquascaping and I haven’t done a build yet. However I’ve been doing a fair bit of research, and I would welcome your opinions.

I rescued a 60ltr tank that already has a basic led setup. I’ve got an Eheim Classic 250 Filter, and I was going to use a Sodastream CO2 setup. As substrate I’m going to use Canna Terra Professional Organic Compost with an 8-16 mm grain Lava Rock cap.

Can anyone see any challenges surfacing from any of the components I’m using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The leave rock grain size is a bit large and you will likely get soil/nutrients from the soil leaching into the water column. You could use something like JBL Mandano instead to cap the soil to mitigate this...

Do you know if the led is powerful enough to provide enough light for a co2 injected system?

The leave rock grain size is a bit large and you will likely get soil/nutrients from the soil leaching into the water column. You could use something like JBL Mandano instead to cap the soil to mitigate this...

Do you know if the led is powerful enough to provide enough light for a co2 injected system?

I honestly have no clue on the lights. I know it’s just a basic unit. I was toying with the idea of getting the Asta 20 6500k to replace the led. As for the soil substrate situation, I had originally priced up ADA Amazonia and I think the other was Tropica, but I think £40 for 9 Litres is robbery, so I was trying to do a low cost approach. I can get 25kg of the lava rock for £22 and 50litres of Canna Terra for £14.

Thing is I don’t mind spending the money if I have to, but I do prefer low cost alternatives

JBL Mandano shouldn't break the bank?

You’re right! I just priced it and that’s much more acceptable. Do you think that would be OK with the Canna Terra, or is there a specific aquatic soil you would recommend?

Also, the experiment was to see if the CO2 offset the potentially low light source, what’s your thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not really the right person to ask about co2 I'm afraid as I'm quite proponent of no co2 setups! My understanding was that with co2 you need stronger light so the plants can achieve higher rates of photosynthesis. That said low tech tanks do benefit from co2 so I'm told, I guess its just s case of how much the plants can really take advantage of... I'd keep a close eye on your pH... someone better qualified than me on this topic will be along soon I'm sure!

Mandano will be fine as a cap I would think :) I have root tabs under mine, cheap ones that basically dissolve into a soil...

Got ya, that makes sense. I’ve not seen the root tabs before, is there a brand you can recommend?

Good Call! I didn’t see that in the description of the one I have been looking at. Back to the drawing board on the soil then.

Do you have any recommendations?

A few good reads!?.. :)

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/darrells-dw1305s-soil-thread.11579/

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/

Personaly i have very good experience and results with Velda Lelite.
https://www.swelluk.com/velda-water-lily-soil/

That would be my number one recomendation, go for an organic "Pond soil" with clay in it.

Organic and likely artificialy enriched soils for terrestrial plants (also that Canna pro) contains loads of Nitrogen, It might contain among others Ammonia and Urea based additions as N source. It likely also contains yet not fully composted organic matter, barkchips and other fibers. Calcium is added to regulate soil Ph.. Etc. This all is not what you want nor need to have in the aqaurium water. It can take a long time to leach and flush out or break down. Ammonia is toxic to aqautic life. For Terrestrial plants a treat and no issue, for an aqautic invironment it can be disasterous.

Last edited:
Hi all,
As substrate I’m going to use Canna Terra Professional Organic Compost with an 8-16 mm grain Lava Rock cap
rock grain size is a bit large and you will likely get soil/nutrients from the soil leaching into the water column
If you use the <"Canna compost"> you need to use a very small amount, just think of it more as a fertiliser, rather than a substrate.

I'd also agree with @Matt @ ScapeEasy when he says use a smaller diameter capping material. I'm <"a sand fan">, swimming pool filter sand is a good option. It needs to be the silica sand rather than a recycled glass one
I see it contains Perlite.. :) That's going to be a mess.
It is, perlite floats.

@Groovymule have you seen @Tim Harrison's <"soil substrate tank tutorial">? If you haven't I'd start with that.

cheers Darrel

Back