• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bettas

I took a trip out to a Fishkeeping shop I haven’t used before a couple of days ago. I was surprised to see over a dozen Bettas each in their own separate cell about 125mm x 100mm x 75mm. Each cell had a small moss ball in it. This seemed to me to be pretty cruel, what do others think? I didn’t study the fish for condition but they all seemed pretty lethargic having no where to actually swim but just float there.

I agree completely, the only saving grace is that they hopefully won't be there long...

Put me in a cupboard with a pot plant and I won't be happy...

Many of the respected importers and retailers who have Thailand contacts keep them like this but say they are only there for a short mm? time before being sold on. Problem is as I see it is some then end up in shops in the same conditions.Another concern is "aquarists" then buying them attracted by their stunning look think a vase or bowl whatever is suitable. Shops can probably shift them in numbers too so just fill the tiny little display homes regular with new stock. Nathan Hill did a article on keeping a fighter a while ago using I think rectangular about 2 ft tank. I dont keep them but if I did thats what I would use, happy fish equates to happy aquarist:)

It's a fairly common practice and for shops its easier to keep the bettas in these than in normal sales tanks where it's hard to fit them in with the other species. It's not particularly nice to see but most shops that have these tend to have a high turnover of bettas so it's normally temporary. A shop near me used to keep them in little vending machine drink cups as did my local wholesaler, simply sat on top of a tank to keep them warm. Out where they are bred it's common to keep them in tiny bottles or jars (there are some videos on YouTube about this).
When I imported a few with other fish I ordered they can in tiny triangle bags that were designed to fit in the spaces between the other bags. They were in a tiny amount, thimble full really, and were always fine (although I only imported a few before I decided I didn't want to anymore).

So basically this is nothing new, it's been going on for decades and will always go on behind the scenes. It's quite interesting to look into the whole betta breeding world and discover exactly why the average 60 l tank is a luxurious mansion to them.

Bettas each in their own separate cell about 125mm x 100mm x 75mm. Each cell had a small moss ball in it. This seemed to me to be pretty cruel, what do others think?

That does sound small but they are shipped in tiny containers like the pots you get at the deli counter. I am not sure it is cruel but it certainly isn't going to help them thrive. Provided they have clean water they will probably do ok but are obviously going to appreciate exploring a bigger tank when someone buys them.

I don't feel it is massively different to having hundreds of neon tetra in a tank, all LFS do it and the space available to each fish must be a tiny percent of what they like (and those fish like to swim). This is purely in my head and I am not sure there is any evidyto back this up....

My LFS has them in Betta barracks which are a bit bigger than this but they do seem reasonably content. They also put some into the other tanks (particularly the plant ones) as I guess they can move them of they do turn out to be pshycos.

I didn’t study the fish for condition but they all seemed pretty lethargic having no where to actually swim but just float there.
Tbf they often do that in larger tanks too. Particularly the longer finned ones. You can normally tell if they are content by their fins. Stressed and unhappy fish have poor looking tails, finrot and are often clamped.

Provided they have clean water they will probably do ok

Thats the crux of it for me. Keeping them in these tanks gives them circulation and filtration which is a step up from the way they are usually held before they reach us, ie in small cups or containers where water is simply exchanged regularly.

You obviously know your bettas and I agree completely that they can be more sedentary than people expect and the breeding for specific traits has definitely made it more of a problem.

Back