• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for scape, looks really untidy!!

jaycat

Hi,

I don't appear to be able to 'see' my scape in advance,as I've re planted a few times now and it still looks untidy and not very good. I have tried to plan on paper too but.... :(

P3030145.jpg

So, what are your ideas? I was going to move the Egeria over to the left corner ,around that bend in the tank, then follow with Vallis along the back. Then have the Amazon swords around the middle, then Zosterefolia, and finally the Ludwigia in the right corner. What do you think?

Or do you all have any other ideas? I have another piece of wood that could also go in left side but then the tank looks a bit crowded with too much wood. I just can't see this at all.

I'm trying to get cuba growing along the front, and midground is Wendtii.

Ok, let's hear all your ideas please! Would you add any other plants, change them?

Thanks, Jackie.

How about I start again then!!

If I plant Amazon swords in left behind large root. Then Hygro sp. along the back running in to maybe some Vallis, then Zosterafolia in the right corner completely. With some Java fern attached to another piece of bog wood along the right side.
Infront of the Hygro. some Crypts or Anubias.

That means losing the Egeria and Ludwigia, but I think it may look more organised.

jaycat said:
I don't appear to be able to 'see' my scape in advance,as I've re planted a few times now and it still looks untidy and not very good. I have tried to plan on paper too but.... :(

your keen at least putting pen to paper.

foresight is the one thing that comes with experience i believe. the one way to imagine how your tank could possibly look is to look at other scapes, find out what plants are in that scape and then look at the positioning of those plants....then, try to emulate what you've learnt. it's the one and only way I've learnt.

when you've grown certain plants and then know what those plants are capable of doing you can begin to experiment.

another thing to do is check tropica site for height and size of plants so your in a better position to place those plants better (foreground to rear)

hardscape....rule of thirds/golden section. you seen to have placed the wood correct. if it were me, i'd move that clump of plants (right of the wood/left of stone forgound) and maybe leave that area open.
back left corner needs a taller plant, maybe more vallis. or you could have vallis 2 thirds across the back from the left and a smaller portion to the right. similar to partially open curtains. the following pic is one of my first set ups. it's got vallis in the back...you can just make out the curtain effect.let it grow real tall and let trail the top for goo effect.

ignore the sand...a poor attempt at a sand foreground

7086b46f.jpg

one question...do you have nutrient's in your substrate?....

Hey thanks for your reply. Yes I have tetra plant substrate under the sand.

Back