• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

White Cloud Mountain minnow have spawned. Should I move them?

Franks

Hi all,

I recently got back from 2 weeks on holiday and did a very large water change on the planted 100 litre barrel pond which had 6 standard and 6 gold White Cloud Mountain minnow.

Today I’ve found a haul of at least another 10 Mountain minnow just in one corner basking in the upper water!

Can I net some of them up and acclimate them into a 30 litre planted biorb until grown and possibly sell?

995d97233965bc439ba12039c2949975.jpg
2e0626bf5c42c03f30f5f2c4285afa96.jpg
46b015eb75974a07c1c565a328aa7cce.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could, but they'd probably grow on just as well in the barrel.

Thanks. I was curious to see them grow and develop and the biorb has no fish in it currently, just cherry shrimp.
I don’t want to potentially harm them though by moving.

My first thought would be to grow them on in the biorb until a decent size and then sell them on.

As long as you acclimatise them gradually if the water is different they should be fine. You could mix it gradually over a week if it's very different. If you'd been using the same tap for both though it shouldn't be too bad.

Congratulations btw, it's very cool to have babies.

Aye. Same tap source conditioned with prime. The bucket has plenty on string algae which they seem to nibble on so perhaps I’ll wait a week or two for them to grow before moving a few and seeing how they develop

Nice. I was going to try summer tubbing but didnt get round to it. They will likely grow faster outside with all the natural food and youll have decent sized, strong healthy fish before it starts to cool down. It's likely the adults will continue to have fry all summer long so the biorb might get a little crowded if you do move them.

In the little bowl your consern is, feeding them properly. The bowl likely will not generate enough for them on the long run. In the ouside barrel will contain much more natural foodsource than such a small manicured indoor bowl.

To update the barrel pond - these little mountain minnows are extremely hardy. Many survived all Winter and a semi frozen surface.

2019... I gave away my lily so need to buy another. The grass is starting to flower in purple and the hosta is beginning to bloom.

I’m also putting in a 10ft goldfish pond and 7ft summer house but that’s for another thread!

Thanks

Attachments

• E0C07651-032E-41A3-9705-F377B9162C92.jpeg
    E0C07651-032E-41A3-9705-F377B9162C92.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 292
  • B9893614-E935-4739-BB42-D99E2174F07E.jpeg
    B9893614-E935-4739-BB42-D99E2174F07E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 297
Hi all,

I recently got back from 2 weeks on holiday and did a very large water change on the planted 100 litre barrel pond which had 6 standard and 6 gold White Cloud Mountain minnow.

Today I’ve found a haul of at least another 10 Mountain minnow just in one corner basking in the upper water!

Can I net some of them up and acclimate them into a 30 litre planted biorb until grown and possibly sell?

View attachment 140795View attachment 140796View attachment 140797

Thanks

can white cloud minnows survive our door through winter? I’m looking for small colourful fishes for my outdoor patio pond but don’t want to bring them indoor

can white cloud minnows survive our door through winter? I’m looking for small colourful fishes for my outdoor patio pond but don’t want to bring them indoor
I think it's subjective. I netted mine up and put them in a larger raised pond for Winter with small Shubunkens. I covered and heated the pond for the coldest months (of the UK) and they were fine come Spring. They are natively from waters which get very cold in the wild.

Back