• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Taiwan Bee not so nano

This one is still trickling along, not much to report aside hundreds of sub 10mm babies now and all adults carrying eggs so population boom is imminent.
I've concluded I can't win the pest snail battled so time for a little chemical warfare
0aa716382746246949239c9c40cdd3ce.jpg
0dba3b1c49a79a839d6c018d91006957.jpg
e6d820a34dde9b9ac336911490998aa5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is that ficus growing in your filter? and is it growing up the wall or supported by something? Would like to create a backdrop in my tank and it looks perfect.
Hey, I started each vine with a dab of super glue and then the plant does the rest. It fixes pretty well, when I moved it last time the vines pulled all the paint from the wall. Just took a few months to get used to the low humidity when I first bought it 5 years or so ago. What you see is just since this journal started.

More blue babies on the way
2134199e857063512cb8a0ba4a69adfd.jpg

Congrats, should have some really nice offspring off her. Mine have not even started breeding yet, was hoping they would of started by now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Congrats, should have some really nice offspring off her. Mine have not even started breeding yet, was hoping they would of started by now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
They generally start breeding properly at 6-8 months old and around Feb/march time in the uk so if you haven't had any yet then you should soon. Failing that check the parameters... high tds and high temp generally stall breeding. Good luck.

6 weeks since the last carpet trim and it's well over due, it's a mission as the shrimp swarm the new exposed substrate which makes trying to not chop shrimp up fun. Also trimmed out some needle fern and nailed as many snails as possible. Having admitted defeat on the snails I also dosed gastropex today, tank is 86ltr full with no hardscape so dosed based on 50ltr to be safe.
141d06eaa841eee203e2e3adfc42f755.jpg
e3191f4f720e586656b7560fbd68c5c8.jpg

Hi all, I was just admiring that as well. From earlier in the threadI couldn't find much about, but it looks like it might be a selected small form of <"Ficus pumila">

cheers Darrel

It goes around as Ficus pumila var. minuta or Ficus sp. Colombia :)

There is another Ficus sp. panama going around in the terrarium shops that actualy is identified as Ficus punctata.

Probably both oficialy originated from Asia and escaped as excotic into the wild in South America. But nobody realy knows.

There is quite some quareling going on around Ficus ID.. Another small gem of climbing Ficus is the Ficus quercifolia (oakleaf ficus) also goes around as Ficus scandens and or Ficus pumila var. quercifolia. I have no idea which one is officialy correct.

But all 3 are smaller leaved climbing tree ficus to be used for that look..

Last edited:
Was long over due a water change as it had been 3 weeks tds was 325 now back at 190. Added some pogostemon heferi as fancied something with a different texture along the front. It's been in a few weeks and seems to be doing well low tech aside a few in vitro leaves softening which the shrimp have nibbled.
Im dosing about 10ml a day now which I think the ficus takes a lot of as its rampant at the moment, wouldn't be wanting more 3-5ml in a tank this size low tech normally.
Hope you all had a good weekend.
60fcd7b87a1c2c26664916b618fe535f.jpg
d78169ba007b388959e375fce720c436.jpg
45e60b10d9dd8f8ab9ac5219d37de276.jpg

83fd7f7f75b156a000dd8c49c600d577.jpg

Last edited:
That is looking fantastic Iain even for a high-energy scape, but low-energy that's amazing :cool:
Cheers Tim, I seem to have found a pretty happy balance with this one that does almost give an illusion of a high tech carpeted tank without the faff.
I pretty sure having the tank shallow with good flow via the waterfall outlets on the eheim really helps with good oxygen/co2 delivery into the system.. I'd guess I'd have a harder time acheiving this look with a traditional filter outlet? The MC carpet even pearled the other day when I left the lights on high after some snail genocide!

Cheers Tim, I seem to have found a pretty happy balance with this one that does almost give an illusion of a high tech carpeted tank without the faff.
I pretty sure having the tank shallow with good flow via the waterfall outlets on the eheim really helps with good oxygen/co2 delivery into the system.. I'd guess I'd have a harder time acheiving this look with a traditional filter outlet? The MC carpet even pearled the other day when I left the lights on high after some snail genocide!

Your tank really is an inspiration. I've decided to go low-tech with my upcoming 60-P in part thanks to this journal.
Do you think normal outlet + a skimmer could achieve a similar surface agitation? Also how many watts is your Chihiros on? Trying to figure out how many % I should run my Twinstar on.
Thanks in advance!

Had a little tidy up and trim today. Pogo heferi would be going great if it wasn't for the shrimp eating it so that will be coming out and the moss has come back with avengance after a massive die back.
5e3dda7b647a1c7138e7fea6e3c8e0c9.jpg
6d682e908608d31f198f58f4ae318fdc.jpg
12682e7f56be89b0ab991c655238dac2.jpg
f9204790135d76cabbe9cc53c3e3df37.jpg

Back