• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FE EDDHA

Hi all,
so I'm guessing co2 problem
Can you get a picture? I wouldn't have thought it was CO2, it grows pretty well for me without CO2 , and it can use bicarbonate (HCO3-) as a carbon source.

This is it in my <"Black-worm (Lumbriculus) buckets">, which are pretty much in full sun, and get very warm in the summer.

hornwort_bucket-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrell, the photos of my hornwort. You can see the browning of the needles but the grow tip still grows. I'm finding this is happening to alot of my plants. Growing but dies off older growth then BBA attacks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_181805.jpg
    IMG_20190518_181805.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20190518_181814.jpg
    IMG_20190518_181814.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20190518_181826.jpg
    IMG_20190518_181826.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20190518_181845.jpg
    IMG_20190518_181845.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20190518_181851.jpg
    IMG_20190518_181851.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 132
I'm guessing co2 problem, don't think it's light

Craig that is a Myriophyllum species.

I can't tell you witch one it is.. :) But this is usualy how you will find it growing in nature.
DSC_0827.JPG

The submersed form is rather delicate.. If it doesn't pop the surface soon it doesn't live very long. I guess this plant needs a lot of trimming..
DSC_0826.JPG

I have grown this plant also in high tech years ago and it is pretty difficult to get it going in a constant submersed form. Myriophyllum beeing sensitive and melt away submersed also happens in the full sun outddoors. I'm also growing it outdoors and it grows best in an inch of water. Go 4 inch deep and the submersed stems get naked in no time, even if it sun blasted the intire day. Definitively not a light issue.

My best guess, it is a CO² issue, but one that might be not very safe for your lifestock if you try to meet it. :) Than its getting it to grow fast enough and dense enough to keep it beautifull due trimming and replanting..

Might add it depends on the sp. for example the M. aqautica grows very robust and can root in deeper waters. The smaller and more delicate Myriophyllum sp. such as in the picture the M. aquatica Redstem is much smaller and absolutely prefers more shallow conditions.

Last edited:
It's very weird, it looks like the needles are browning under the light but when I take it from the tank it looks green maybe it's just not highlighted enough out the tank. I will try and float it see what happens. I'm having troubles with my co2. Degassed tank water is 8 but I can't get the pH to drop below 7.2 even with no surface agitation. Thanks for your reply soon

Hi Darrell, the photos of my hornwort. You can see the browning of the needles but the grow tip still grows. I'm finding this is happening to alot of my plants. Growing but dies off older growth then BBA attacks.
Looks suspiciously like Myriophyllum aquaticum.......... which is on the EU list of invasive species, not alowed to trade or keep. This could explain, why you got it under the name of hornworth.
To be honest, you should dispose of it (in an environmentally safe way), just on suspicion it might be Myr. aquaticum, since this plant is really causing big time trouble around the world.

Back