• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sponge in planted tanks

Aqua360

Hi all,

Is it possible to filter a tank via sponge filter, and still grow plants that don't require injected co2?

I'm thinking plants i've used previously such as monte carlo, stargrass, staurogyne repens, that i've had success with in normal low/medium light low tech set-ups.

The reason i'm asking is i'd like to have a stable shrimp colony, and they'd really benefit from the sponge. If not really advisable, i guess i'll probably go internal or external.

Thoughts?

No problemo
I use matten filters in my small tanks, still need to hack out stuff regularly.
20190404_144747 copy.jpg

No problemo
I use matten filters in my small tanks, still need to hack out stuff regularly. View attachment 124493

reassuring! :)

Might go down the aquael mini pat internal filter route, simple powerhead attached to a shrimp safe sponge. Only wish it was slightly bigger, tank will be 60l planted, so might be pushing the boundaries!

Great tank btw

Hi all,
simple powerhead attached to a shrimp safe sponge.
I use matten filters in my small tanks
I think @Edvet powers his matten filters via an internal filter (or powerhead?), rather than an air lift.

I use the <"powerhead/big sponge block"> combination in a lot of my tanks. Have a look at the ones <"Swiss Tropicals"> sell in the USA.

ment-php-attachmentid-15562-stc-1-d-1254795378-jpg.jpg

I'm still using that combination (same powerhead, same sponge) in this tank. (from before <"2010">)

lid_up_zpsf2edd702-jpg-16073-jpg-79241-jpg-jpg.jpg

If I have an external filter I still put a chunky foam pre-filter on the intake.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all, I think @Edvet powers his matten filters via an internal filter (or powerhead?), rather than an air lift.

I use the <"powerhead/big sponge block"> combination in a lot of my tanks. Have a look at the ones <"Swiss Tropicals"> sell in the USA.

ment-php-attachmentid-15562-stc-1-d-1254795378-jpg.jpg

I'm still using that combination (same powerhead, same sponge) in this tank. (from before <"2010">)

lid_up_zpsf2edd702-jpg-16073-jpg-79241-jpg-jpg.jpg

If I have an external filter I still put a chunky foam pre-filter on the intake.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrell,

The aquael pat mini filter is exactly this design, just slightly smaller; think that's the best route!

The reason i'm asking is i'd like to have a stable shrimp colony, and they'd really benefit from the sponge

You can use any of the combinations already mentioned. My suggestion would be an external filter and just put a sponge on the intake as a prefilter. I have a small tank that I started with a sponge filter which got upgraded to a pump driven sponge filter, then it got upgraded to an external with a sponge on the intake. The latter works the best in my opinion for both plants and critters. Mine is a shrimp tank with a group of hillstream loaches.

Shrimp (breeding) also benefits from a good moss mass - maybe not so aesthetic, but choose a moss that grows with fairly open structure, lots of biofilm and fine food particles - and you’ll see the tiny babies in there :)

Back