• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rhizotonic by Canna

0f28ae19b8910286ad7bf05e4ebd27bd.jpg

Just wondered if this is the same stuff but very cheap in comparison
No ingredients listed that I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
Just wondered if this is the same stuff but very cheap in comparison
No ingredients listed that I can find
There are a number of kelp based liquid fertilisers for sale, I would expect that they are all fairly similar. I'm not sure you will be able to find an exact composition (these are organic products), but relatively low in nitrogen (N) and high in calcium (Ca), potassium (K), sodium (Na), magnesium (Mg) and most other micro-elements would be my guess. There will be various other organic compounds present, phyto-hormones, vitamins etc.

The "traditional" one in the UK is produced by <"Maxicrop">. Their <"Tomato Feed"> used to be popular with home gardeners.

This table is from <"Influence of Foliar Application of Seaweed Extract and Plant Growth Regulators on Growth and Physiological Attributes of Jasminum sambac">.

Chemical-composition-of-seaweed-extract_W640.jpg

cheers Darrel

I've used both now, I actually only tried Rhizotonic after seeing this thread. Personally, for aquarium use I would stick to Rhizotonic as it is formulated specifically with hydroponic use in mind, while the other cheaper alternatives may be even better than Rhizotonic for use in other growing media like soil, they would colour the water more (they are dark opaque liquids) and have more dissolved solids ("gunk" when added to water). I've used Doff, Maxicrop, and Shropshire Seaweed for years, of the three I'd say the Shropshire Seaweed is most similar to Rhizotonic (just slightly cheaper). Doff and Maxicrop extracts might make your water go a bit cloudy, but could be OK :).

Hi, just bumping this thread to see if anyone has a view on dosage for Maxicrop Seaweed Extract in a new aquarium? Looking to use it at the beginning of a new setup to support root growth. No inhabitants yet. Planning on using after water changes for the first two weeks. Does Konsas 1ml per 10litre dosage from the Rhizotonic dosing make sense? I can't find an analysis of Maxicrop so it is hard to know how similar this product is to the Rhizotonic, but I note that Darrel suspects they are all fairly similar. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, just bumping this thread to see if anyone has a view on dosage for Maxicrop in a new aquarium? Looking to use it at the beginning of a new setup to support root growth. No inhabitants yet. Planning on using after water changes for the first two weeks. Does Konsas 1ml per 10litre dosage from the Rhizotonic dosing make sense? I can't find an analysis of Maxicrop so it is hard to know how similar this product is to the Rhizotonic, but I note that Darrel suspects they are all fairly similar. Cheers.

I mainly use this for dry starting only and for this, Rhizotonic really rocks the boat. If you test it for example on young plants on rockwool plugs you will experience the plants fed with Rhizotonic will grow healthier and stronger roots much faster than the stock without it. This personal experience time and time again was the trigger for me to also use this for dry starting aquarium plants. Also experienced mosses thriving on it.

Occasionally I did put 25ml Rhizotonic in a 60L tank after a water change. That is 4 x as much as you are suggesting and never experienced anything negative. So I guess you are good to go... :)

But because this stuff is so darn expensive @ € 30 p/L I stopped feeding it to the aquarium after the first bottle was empty. I still, have a bottle in storage, but I keep this safe for dry starting purposes.

All I know is Rhizo is a seaweed (alga) extract... And it is extremely base, using too much might spike the Ph too much. For the rest, it's not poisonous by itself.

Thanks Marcel. That's really useful to hear. And I will definitley consider this with any dry starts in the future too.

I'm still interested in any examples of specifically using Maxicrop as opposed to Rhizotonic. Like you said, Rhizotonic is super expensive for what I suspect is a very similar product. Darrel alluded to people using Maxicrop within a post about Seachem Advance, but I can't see any specific experiences documented on the forum. If anyone knows otherwise and can point me towards some more reading that would be great.

The only read i can present you is the Amazon review section.

And all users seem to be in an Haleluja ecstasy praising this product as sent from heaven. If or when it is similar or the same thing as Rhizo you might also want to consider that it might be equally high base. And if used in recommended dosage then check the Ph of the solution it might go up >8pH and this needs to be readjusted again.

I have no idea why products like this are yet not immensely popular among planted tank keepers. No idea what makes this group reluctant to try it out and experiment with it in leaner dosages. I guess most people are afraid it's a snake oil story. I'm pretty sure it isn't but who am I? Or it might be the Seaweed (alga) nomer that makes the aquatic plant community go :nailbiting:

My motivation not to is the money. That's why I have no long-term experience using it as a supplement in a flooded tank.. :)
If I had enough of thi$ I wouldn't think twice.

But seeing some big spenders around in this hobby buying the craziest stuff regardless the price I really wonder what keeps them away from this. I guess the Terrestrial growth community is still a completely different universe that yet doesn't overlap much with ours and walks a different path. But hence 95% of the aquarium plants are Bogplants, rather grow partially terrestrial than submerged. There is no reason to think it will be no good for plants in submerged form.

I remember a guy from the former ASW forum using this on a Utricularia scape and also was nothing but ecstatic about it. Unfortunately, this forum no longer exists and his data is lost with that again.

Last edited:
Back