• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

Crikey, it must have been a huge industry at one time. But I guess that shouldn't be a surprise given that it was once one of the only ways to draw water.
You've really peaked my interest in a part of our industrial heritage that's seldom thought about these days.

Yup same as Iron Foundries once were rather common i found almost a 100 in my country alone according historical records. And it could be manufactured anywhere in Europe or beyond. I tried in 4 different languages to search for Foundry and Pump Manufacurers with MCH. But nothing out there that comes close.. One national foundry had a trigger "Machine and Construction workshop Holland" But the date is wrong founded since 1902 and up and they made no pumps and went by the name "De Holland".

I've had a look too and came up with zilch...I took the liberty of posting a pic to Richard Williams whose site it is you posted a link to; hope you don't mind. He might know more. From what I've gathered so far it's pretty unique.

I've had a look too and came up with zilch...I took the liberty of posting a pic to Richard Williams whose site it is you posted a link to; hope you don't mind. He might know more. From what I've gathered so far it's pretty unique.

Great!! I didn't think of that.. :thumbup: Thank you.. You got me mighty curious as well..

Hi all,
Some advice on the internet cautions against severe pruning since it might not come back.
Often people don't prune them until they are really suffering and already have die-back or severe chlorosis etc. Once they are moribund they are much less likely to re-grow.

I would definitely try and prune it, it looks quite a good shape (plenty of basal branches) and it is obviously quite old. A re-pot and or top-dress is also a god idea. Is the gravel top dressing flint? or is it "cotswold" stone? If its cotswold stone you need to replace it with an inert gravel.

If you are worried you can prune it in stages, first prune would shorten the longer main branches by 4" inches (10 cm). The the next year same again on the shorter branches. Third year just shaping. You will lose some buds, but it will rejuvenate it. They are potentially very long lived plants.

cheers Darrel

That's good to know, thanks. I thought about at least top dressing it as well. The gravel is just inert silica, and it's usually watered with rainwater, but my water butts have run dry this year, all 3x250 litres, hardy any rain, a consequence of living in the rain shadow of the Pennines I guess. I think I'm going to just do it all in one go, I don't think I could live with a half pruned plant it'd trigger my OCD. Maybe I'll cut it back to around 8 inches or so ?

6FB03778-FAF9-41CF-8F3D-4C16653501FE.jpeg
Disrupting the flow a little, I thought I'd post a pic of my azalea pretty much in full bloom again.
I've had it around 12 years and it's got a bit leggy, so I was thinking of rejuvenating it by gvinig it a severe pruning...any tips ?

47935046787_cb5128d730_b.jpg

by Tim Harrison, on Flickr
You can develop it in to this

Well you have already started by growing the plant in a pot.

Plenty of you tube info but basically you need to look at your shrub and see what you can see!
Try to imagine the shape and style of a mature tree and then spend the next 10 years convincing your plant to follow your design.
Always trying to keep your plant as heathy and strong as possible while you manipulate it into shape.
After 10 years, get a lovely container of a suitable size to keep the tree at the size you want for the next 10 years.
If you use the correct placement, the best soil, the best fertiliser and only rain water, you will be amazed at how quickly the projects develops .
Azaleas are an extremely popular bonsai material but funny enough I have never used one!

To be more specific with your actual plant over the next 12 mounts ..... I would prepare a larger shallower pot , mix 50% hard cat litter with a fine grade soil.
I often use a brown washing up bowl for a pot , cut off around 50% of the root mass and repot In the fresh soil mix leaving it at least 2” down from the top.
You need lots of holes for drainage and an air gap under the pot (bowl) now top up with chicken @hit and water at least once every day from now til autumn, avoid tap water if possible.
Top up with CS in six weeks and again in January.
I think that you need to wait for the azalea to drop its flowers before trimming the branches, so this time next year would be a good time to trim the branches.
How much you can cut back is all part of a learning curve and is always a compromise of time and patience.
By spring your plant should of recovered from the root trimming and be in a vigorous state ready for a full year of strong growth.
To be honest I would probably put in a bit of shape by trimming the branches at the same time as repotting but it will be a bit risky and the plant might suffer ... always a compromise!

Last edited:
That Bonsai is amazing!!. So you say you've been growing that tree for over 20 years?.. Now that is dedication..

I never got to it, tried several times, but the small pot doesn't allow neglection.. The few ready grown bonsai i tried all died.. :(

Wow that's amazing...how would I even start ?

Have a look at this.. That shop seems to be in the UK,, All tho the owner must be Japanese import. He still has that accent. The way the man talks about trees in general is touching and absolute Wabi Sabi. Than he takes huge pliers and splits tick 30 year old branches to be able to rewire and bend them. :eek: Never seen it before and had no idea it was done like that. I would never think of doing that to a tree, always thought bending stops at a given time.. But it seems common bonsai practice with a specialy developed pliers for it..

And this..

I just this moment pooped down the garden to get our tea out of the oven , while there I took a few pictures .
I have added some lights around the cyber man and red light eyes. A couple of my growing on trees both waiting for new pots! My new fern...

00443A76-2059-4EFA-BED1-A6830EB1E0C7.jpeg
B6587147-88BE-469F-B836-DD56DF68B143.jpeg
E7D9126B-D5B4-488C-BF9D-8C7369E9A99E.jpeg
9B21091B-85EA-4167-88A6-BDFB4569EC07.jpeg
3AE27F89-22A2-4E72-93CE-1E3AE9246325.jpeg
07410101-1BF6-4AAC-AA10-80EA06770C31.jpeg

Hi all,
A couple of my growing on trees both waiting for new pots!
I've never seen a "bonsai" Escallonia. I might go into business selling "Special Bonsai Escallonia cuttings", they are really easy to root.
My new fern..
Very nice, that was a bit of a steal for the label price.

I'll try and get a photo of the larger Platycerium in the glasshouse. I don't know how old it is, I've looked after it (should really have said "totally neglected it") since 1985, and it was already quite a large plant then. The only pest, or disease, it has suffered from was hosting a wasp's nest about five years ago.

cheers Darrel

Great!! I didn't think of that.. :thumbup: Thank you.. You got me mighty curious as well..
Well, Richard just got back to me and I've also pm'd you.

He seems to think it might be French and included a pic of one that is similarly ornate. Intriguing...:cool:

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    613.7 KB · Views: 131
Hi all, You have an Orobanche sp. in your photo.

They all look similar and none of them are very common on the mainland UK (I believe that Ivy Broomrape (O. hederae) is common in the Channel Islands).

cheers Darrel
I have never though much about them, they seem quite common?
I don’t know if our previous under glass growing industry has anything to do with them as I am sure you can see an awful lot growing in the old glasshouses .
I will pay more attention from now on....

Hi all,
I have never though much about them, they seem quite common?
Orobanche hederae has a very localised distribution in the W and SW of the Britain and Eire. Apparently it is <"common in Guernsey">, so I assume that is what your plant (and that there is some Ivy somewhere close)

All the rest are fairly uncommon in Mainland UK, Orobanche minor is about the commonest, but even that one I haven't seen for several years.

Thyme Broomrape (Orobanche alba) used to be the one that people wanted to see in the Burren, it does grow elsewhere but is a pretty rare plant. It is my favourite, as you can identify it easily. For all the rest you really need a flora.

cheers Darrel

That's good to know, thanks. I thought about at least top dressing it as well. The gravel is just inert silica, and it's usually watered with rainwater, but my water butts have run dry this year, all 3x250 litres, hardy any rain, a consequence of living in the rain shadow of the Pennines I guess. I think I'm going to just do it all in one go, I don't think I could live with a half pruned plant it'd trigger my OCD. Maybe I'll cut it back to around 8 inches or so ?

I’d limit cut to only 1/3 of the plant, take a couple years to (patiently) shape it
If you cut it back that drastically, it will take a couple years to (hopefully) recover ... might as well just give it away for someone to put in the back garden ;) and start with a new plant

As foxfish suggests it need some pot attention
(a road trip to Guernsey ..... and pick it up in a couple years :D)

Don’t forget to sterilize your pruners before trimming

Zozo said “Have a look at this.. That shop seems to be in the UK”

Herons Bonsai is great to visit, in person and on their website. They have many great videos, similar quality to The Green Machine. Very knowledgeable and interesting.

Back