• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Nice Ady.

Can't stop thinking that your scape would look better with an smaller and more compact moss than this fissidens on those roots...like mini x-moss, riccardia or even some Callicostella prabaktiana?

Cheers
Yeah I had thought that myself, I was looking at the fissidens and thinking it looked larger than I was used to. I think I’m my previous NAtural Jurassic scape I must have had fissidens Fox rather than Fontanus as it was noticeably smaller. Trimming it more frequently will help though I think as it will keep the shape of the wood better and not look so bulky. The callicostella moss looks interesting though.

Back on track and glad to see it mate it's a beautiful piece of art work you have there and I agree with the lil balancing issue

Cheers
Jay
Thanks Jayefc1, it’s getting there, the algae may be a bit stubborn to eradicate but it looks passable from a distance now so I’ll just keep plugging away with maintaining it.

Relaxing video, and some nice textures, I really like the relatively large leaves of the Ludwigia waving in the breeze; works well in your large tank.
Yeah the ludwigia is large but like you say anything too fine may not work. I may mix it up though and add a smaller red plant in amongst it.....suggestions are welcome :)

Hi all, New one for me, it looks very promising.

cheers Darrel
Yeah looks perfect for growing over rocks in particular.

Few images just for interest......

Buces filling in......

F4A3749D-2479-4A78-A945-81A25AFB353F.jpeg

Sumo loach and dwarf chain loach.....

E6F96C5E-1F65-4103-97E9-1937608EFC8E.jpeg

Then and now.....

13155437-0B95-411B-B375-236E2DB28219.jpeg

Cheerio

Last edited:
Looks stunning mate, its filling in really well. I think another 10 Congo tetra would really bring it alive, there actively is really nice is a good group. As far as shrimp go, I had Simonii simonii in mine with Congo's and butterfly cichlids and they seemed to maintain a good number, maybe the natural brown colour helped opposed to cherries that look like tetra prima pellets!!
If you fancy trying them but cant find them then I can try catching some in the paludarium but they are illusive buggers in that set up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks stunning mate, its filling in really well. I think another 10 Congo tetra would really bring it alive, there actively is really nice is a good group. As far as shrimp go, I had Simonii simonii in mine with Congo's and butterfly cichlids and they seemed to maintain a good number, maybe the natural brown colour helped opposed to cherries that look like tetra prima pellets!!
If you fancy trying them but cant find them then I can try catching some in the paludarium but they are illusive buggers in that set up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah I was was on the same wavelength as you and was going to get more last weekend however ran out of time after I’d been to get 2 farlowella acus. May get chance this weekend as your right they need greater numbers to look effective and see the true behaviour.

5470E662-24C8-47B4-8CC8-7F678E4E980A.jpeg

C7EC9FAD-5FAD-4A47-9EA2-A72BB7CF1323.jpeg

Cheerio,

Hi,
I cleaned the chihiros reactors tonight in a descaling solution. I’ve read other members having issue with this method however after how poorly the previous reactor performed after cleaning with bleach and vinegar I thought I had nothing to lose. 2x new reactors arrived today in the post so if it failed and the reactors no longer worked or worked poorly then I had a back up.
Popped a capful of the solution in a glass of warm water for about half an hour with the reactor and this removed all of the scale. Rinsed and soaked with freshwater and then swapped it with the reactor in the tank. Switched on and the results were impressive with much better o2 micro bubbles immediately. It has performed well all night but will report back over the coming days. I’ve since used the same method in the other reactor which again has fully descaled. This one will be left to dry out so will see if that impacts it’s effectiveness at all when used in the future.

Cheerio,

414D90DE-86A9-463A-AB78-BEB943333F80.jpeg

54B59A49-4839-48FD-993C-02B1F820C028.jpeg

5F365BC2-B5CC-432D-B151-5FA8CC99C420.jpeg

BA6E90EC-A327-4EFB-9ACE-E8FA134C939C.jpeg

I'm interested in the results Ady. I used the same method and initially performance was as good as new but it didn't long and completely died shortly after.

I'm interested in the results Ady. I used the same method and initially performance was as good as new but it didn't long and completely died shortly after.
How long did it last?
1 day, still going strong.....

9D1B2448-AB1B-4A0B-A41B-4A805BFD025D.jpeg

Cheerio,

How long did it last?
1 day, still going strong.....
View attachment 125162
Cheerio,

Do you rate the product at all? Or is it just abit of placebo?
Everywhere reads good, other than the price tag
as not having a tank at the mo not been able to use/test! but with quite a few coming on the market now it would be nice to see how you’ve come on with using such product!
Looney.

Depends on how you think about it. Getting consistently high levels of o2 in a tank can be expensive whatever method you take. The irony is that twinstar’s/chihiros are relatively cheap compared to say... a wet/dry sump system with full plumping, return pump, heater, the cost of the actual sump and an efficient design that doesn’t gas off too much co2.

Depends on how you think about it. Getting consistently high levels of o2 in a tank can be expensive whatever method you take. The irony is that twinstar’s/chihiros are relatively cheap compared to say... a wet/dry sump system with full plumping, return pump, heater, the cost of the actual sump and an efficient design that doesn’t gas off too much co2.

Yeah I understand what you mean the high levels of o2 are massive! but unsure as there a reasonably new “item” into the industry where not many people have reviewed as much

Tank looks great. Love the moss on the branches!

But would you really need a wet/dry sump for high O2 levels? I mean during the day the plants will produce oxygen and during night some surface agitation would be enough to have sufficient O2, wouldn't it?

as not having a tank at the mo not been able to use/test! but with quite a few coming on the market now it would be nice to see how you’ve come on with using such product!
Looney.
Hi Looney,
yeah I rate the product, oxygenating benefits are the most important feature for me, especially with the use of injected co2. A consistent supply of additional oxygen gives peace of mind. The jury’s out on the algae prevention but that wasn’t my main goal on adding the reactor.
Tank looks great. Love the moss on the branches!

But would you really need a wet/dry sump for high O2 levels? I mean during the day the plants will produce oxygen and during night some surface agitation would be enough to have sufficient O2, wouldn't it?
It’s a good point, however I like the idea of introducing another o2 source as I can’t quantify what the plants are producing, especially during co2 injection pre photoperiod. It just feels like a nice buffer to have for little outlay really. Injecting co2 has always been a slight weight on my mind regards livestock, especially after a first hand very bad experience of what can go wrong. If I can add extra o2 to reduce risk then its worth it for me.
I also utilise the surface skimmer for dual purpose, again partly to increase o2. If one of these methods fails I do notice a difference in fish behaviour during injection hours so they do definitely help.

It’s still working well....
Day 2:

73A2EEF7-F5C9-4F77-A74A-FB76B88A866C.jpeg

Extra photos just because I like adding photos.....

End shot:
5D7E8B81-FCD3-4E4D-BF42-A961BAC31230.jpeg

Congo tetra:
FCE9EC0C-C4D4-4288-A9AA-7E2051A7B732.jpeg

Where’s twiggy?....
81680391-1C64-47B7-9E3D-480C7CE7103E.jpeg

Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Looney,
yeah I rate the product, oxygenating benefits are the most important feature for me, especially with the use of injected co2. A consistent supply of additional oxygen gives peace of mind. The jury’s out on the algae prevention but that wasn’t my main goal on adding the reactor

Yeah there advertised for the algae side of things, which in that area I think it’s abit grey? but o2 levels it’s a no brainer!

I use citric acid to descale my reactors, teaspoon of salt in a glass fill with boiling water and leave for 30 mins.
Then when reactors done pop the water back in kettle bring it back to boil and descale the kettle. Forgot all about it once and wife made herself a nice cup of citric acid tea with it :D

I use citric acid to descale my reactors, teaspoon of salt in a glass fill with boiling water and leave for 30 mins.
Then when reactors done pop the water back in kettle bring it back to boil and descale the kettle. Forgot all about it once and wife made herself a nice cup of citric acid tea with it :D
:sick::lol:

Little update.....

Been keeping on top of things a bit better with regular siphoning of substrate and mosses. The hair algae remains but is much less.
The chihiros reactor remains in good working order a week on so fingers crossed it will continue.
I added another 5 congo tetra at the weekend and they have settled well. I still find shrimplets when maintaining the mosses so some do make it past the hungry mouths.
I still need to thin the fissidens hugely however I was awaiting adding the extra price of wood to the left hand side of the tank, which I discussed earlier, as I may have needed some trimmings to tie to it. I have added that wood now and am happy with the way it has worked and balanced more the scape. I will buy another buce or two to add around the wood and decide if I need the fissidens on it then. Currently the wood is attached to a small piece of Seiryu stone with a rubber band to keep it in place until water logged......

1658D963-4A22-4544-B4C7-2FC3FC9F7F79.jpeg

The various suckermouths were immediately drawn to the new wood and made for an interesting photo. Sturisoma and Farlowella.....

3DC1D3ED-3950-449E-BAC2-3234D4F1721F.jpeg

Tank pre and post additional wood. Needs extra plants to soften and blend along with time for the wood to waterlog and darken naturally but it has achieved what I wanted and balanced the scape more imo......

08C2C6EB-D468-4488-A393-D7CC2F969A8E.jpeg

Cheerio,

Back