• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

external Filter for 19 litre tank

dean

I have an aquael 19 litre shrimp tank it comes with an internal powerhead with a sponge attached
It works well but takes up a lot of room in such a small space

What external filter would you recommend and why ?

It’s has one pair of guppies and low tech at present as not sure if the led light is good enough to go high tech anyone any experience of this setup ?

Here’s what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar sent up, but ea300 cube witha hydro prime 10 filter. Good flow but not excessive using glass intake and poppy pipe. Uses standard 12/16mm tubing

I have a similar sent up, but ea300 cube witha hydro prime 10 filter. Good flow but not excessive using glass intake and poppy pipe. Uses standard 12/16mm tubing

Yes that would be quite good if it will fit under the tank. 300 lph is a bit much for a 19 Litre tank but you could throttle it back a bit. Eheim also make the classic 150 which is also 300 lph but that has 12/16 inlet and 9/12 outlet if it’s an issue.
There are also a couple of hang on the back canister types out there like the Dennerle Scaper’s Flow.

Yeah would you need a filter for shrimp only if the plants do most of the biological filtration as skimmer would do the job
Cheers
Jay

Dean said he doesn’t want anything in the tank as it takes up too much space. I feel the same about my little Dennerle 10L Nano!

What’s needed for the smaller Nano’s is a tiny internal, maybe 12V so it could be run off a plugtop transformer with a thin cable.

Or, a nice looking compact external with a more modest throughput than those generally available.

Yeah would you need a filter for shrimp only if the plants do most of the biological filtration as skimmer would do the job
Cheers
Jay
You definately don't need a filter for shrimp only. Nice to have some water movement though. I normally use an airstone with a small custom sponge filter that I can hide in there. I just use a filter intake sponge cover thing so it's tiny.

External, maybe the oase 100 filter smart with built in heater. Check out the glassware that George farmer uses on his beta tank, super cool and slow spread flow.

Can’t recall the name, it’s like a round ring.

They are good little filters, I'm running one of the 300s on my 220litre. Only difference really with the Biomaster is the pre-filter thing and the fact the hoses come out straight up rather than at an angle so you need a big more headroom above the filter for the hoses to bend round.

Agreed, biomaster has the prefilter and also priming function and large difference on media space though.

Can’t run a 60p high energy with a filto smart 100 but it is the pick of that range for me. Excellent for a 45p but any tank bigger best to invest the the biomaster.

one pair of guppies
They won’t be alone for long ;)

Unless you’re planning a larger tank, I’d replace that girl guppy with a couple of boys!

Depending on room temp, you can likely manage without a heater
Eheim Mini Up filter is fairly small and dependable, with reasonable surface area for biomedia (I use a mix of sponge and Eheim Substrat), adjustable flow rate - it will also raise the tank temp a couple degrees above ambient (as will most lighting)

Obviously a small HOB filter will work, they’re easy to maintain though (obviously) not as silent as Eheim Mini Up, most have some adjustability in flow

Canister - you’ll want to turn down flow on even the smallest, Hydor 10 would be my budget pick - though if you add in costs of glass lily pipe and intake, rather more investment than the above filters
I’d likely just switch over to an AIO aquarium such as Fluval Spec or ADA DOOA System Aqua 30 (which avoids the black background wall of most AIO kits but also costs rather more ;)) etc

Small HOB filter and put a plant in it.. :)
[NANO] Double Opti White - Cherry/Sakura/White Pearl Breeding Colony

Or an undergravel filter?..
www.aliexpress.com/item/aquarium-fish-tank-under-gravel-filter-bottom-sand-filter-12-16-20-24-28-32-pcs/32967480762.html?
Than you only have a air riser tube comming up in the corner.. Recently i bought a small DC 5 volt 1 Watt air pump from Alieexpress. It is the quietest airpump i ever found. Couldn't realy hear it running from 2 feet away and what you hear aint realy annoying. It would be sufficient for a 19L tank under gravel filter. :) In my case it was a small solar powered airpump that could also run on a 5 volt phone charger, there are nowadays also USB version mini airpumps out there doing the same.
www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190623204038&SearchText=USB+air+pump

Back