• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10 ppi vs floss/wool for polishing

fishbro

Hi folks, just picked up an Oase filtosmart 100 thermo as a second filter for my tank. Nothing too fancy but it should help with the flow and some extra filtration! I intend to use this filter for my chemical filtration (purigen and carbon when needed) and polishing, along with skimming.

I was wondering what folks are using for polishing the water. The filter came with 20ppi (first stage) then 10ppi foam (last stage). I used to use filter floss / wool, but would this have any benefit over the 10ppi foam? I’m thinking of replacing the 20ppi with floss then replace the 10ppi foam with my media bags.

It also came with some bio media to use in the compartment that holds the heater. Not that we need much in a planted tank, but I’ll leave it in as it can’t harm :)

I use course and medium foam only with some ceramic media, fine foam and floss just clog up too fast and reduce the flow. As for carbon filters only help remove ferts, handy if you have had to treat some sick fish.
I find a good WC polishes the water enough for me but I don't do compitions

Floss is great and cheap for polishing IF you are willing to open your filter very regularly to sling and replace. I am currently using two canisters, so my second has some floss in it - I wouldn’t use it if I was relying on one, and I only use it in the filter at the back

I like floss because it’s replaceable, just bin it when it gets dirty. How much it affects flow depends on how densely you pack it and how often you change it.

If it effects flow in the slightest it's not good flow is king in the planted tank your maintenance should keep the water crystal clear IMO
cheers
Jay

I've always found a gradual approach to mechanical filtration works the best for me - The floss clogs very quickly if it's immediately preceded by coarse sponge as so much gets through it - Mine are set up as 20ppi pre-filters on the intake, then inside the canisters is 30ppi ,45ppi then floss (one canister has 20ppi sponge before the 30ppi as there was space for it).

As the water is filtered gradually, there is less and less stuff getting through to the floss with each prior stage - The result is that I open the canisters monthly, but realistically they could go longer without significantly reducing the flow.

Thanks for all the opinions guys :) Yeah true about the clogging, that’s why I’d only use it in my secondary small filter. Carbon I haven’t used for almost 2 years now but did have a bit of mild sickness with a couple of the fish so had to treat. They are all better now!

I think what I will do is once I don’t need the carbon any more, just put the included media back in and then have a thin amount of floss on the final stage. It’s a great little filter and is adding a nice bit of flow to the tank :)

I have two filters, an FX4 rammed with biological media (Alphagrog) and some medium filter sponge, then a JBL E1501 which is purely biological & chemical....however I run a APS Pre-filter that I have differing layers of sponge, through to a floss. I wouldn't like bother with floss in my main canister as i'd be forever opening them, but In a pre-filter is really quick and easy for me to just detach and clean.

Hi folks, just picked up an Oase filtosmart 100 thermo as a second filter for my tank. Nothing too fancy but it should help with the flow and some extra filtration! I intend to use this filter for my chemical filtration (purigen and carbon when needed) and polishing, along with skimming.

I was wondering what folks are using for polishing the water. The filter came with 20ppi (first stage) then 10ppi foam (last stage). I used to use filter floss / wool, but would this have any benefit over the 10ppi foam? I’m thinking of replacing the 20ppi with floss then replace the 10ppi foam with my media bags.

It also came with some bio media to use in the compartment that holds the heater. Not that we need much in a planted tank, but I’ll leave it in as it can’t harm :)
Hi . I find polishing wool is really great for keeping water really clean and clear . I wonder though - I think it is made from synthetic fibres ( I assume , therefore that it is made from mineral oil and is not biodegradable) Does anyone know of a plant based / biodegradable brand ?

Hi . I find polishing wool is really great for keeping water really clean and clear . I wonder though - I think it is made from synthetic fibres ( I assume , therefore that it is made from mineral oil and is not biodegradable) Does anyone know of a plant based / biodegradable brand ?
Hi . I also wonder - I cannot get on with my filtrosmart 100 at all - partly because - although my tank looks so minimal with the Lily pipes as well - it keeps dumping a protein scum on the water - which the Lily pipe skimmer does nothing to resolve . It’s a nightmare to clean out - so - I’ve gone back to the filter supplied ( hang on ) - Superfish scraper - which I can use filter wool with and control the flow for my betta . I can also see how dirty the filter pads are . Perfect ! Would love any suggestions though on the filtrosmart - what am I doing wrong ? I do check 1/2 weekly - and cleaned the filter monthly ( 60litre tank ) - whilst doing weekly / 1/2 weekly 50% water changes ( depending on how dirty the water is and how much nitrates are showing on strips ) . Loads of plants - Tropica bio CO2 system and 2hr aquarist daily plant feed (2ml -zero) .

Hi . I also wonder - I cannot get on with my filtrosmart 100 at all - partly because - although my tank looks so minimal with the Lily pipes as well - it keeps dumping a protein scum on the water - which the Lily pipe skimmer does nothing to resolve . It’s a nightmare to clean out - so - I’ve gone back to the filter supplied ( hang on ) - Superfish scraper - which I can use filter wool with and control the flow for my betta . I can also see how dirty the filter pads are . Perfect ! Would love any suggestions though on the filtrosmart - what am I doing wrong ? I do check 1/2 weekly - and cleaned the filter monthly ( 60litre tank ) - whilst doing weekly / 1/2 weekly 50% water changes ( depending on how dirty the water is and how much nitrates are showing on strips ) . Loads of plants - Tropica bio CO2 system and 2hr aquarist daily plant feed (2ml -zero) .
Are you talking about a biofilm on the water surface?

10ppi foam isn’t going to do anything for water polishing. Great for biological filtration, though.

That said, any water polishing is unnecessary if your biological filter is working well. I run nothing finer than 20ppi and can read an 8pt font document through my 5ft tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said, any water polishing is unnecessary if your biological filter is working well. I run nothing finer than 20ppi and can read an 8pt font document through my 5ft tank.
Yep, that is the direction I am heading, too. Currently, I am using no chemical filtration and no polishing filtration. Foams are between 20PPI and 30PPI for biological - never cleaned.

However, I have not managed to remove my mechanical filtration at this stage! (Ongoing project!) I am still using 45PPI foam as a pre-filter in my Oase units.

What is your other filter setup and media content? Also, how big is the aquarium in volume?

Hi @fishbro For water polishing go with something like this 50 micron polishing pad super cheap and will last a long time - was recommended to me by @erwin123 a while ago - and it works incredibly well in my tanks.... Don't go too low on the microns as it will just clog up your filter unnecessarily fast - of course, unless your trying to serve up the clearest Gin cocktail mixed with aquarium water :)

Yes, as @Le duke mentions above 10 Pores per Inch (PPI) is really coarse and wont do anything in terms of polishing ...

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @fishbro For water polishing go with something like this 50 micron polishing pad super cheap and will last a long time - was recommended to me by @erwin123 a while ago - and it works incredibly well in my tanks.... Don't go too low on the microns as it will just clog up your filter unnecessarily fast - of course, unless your trying to serve up the clearest Gin cocktail mixed with aquarium water :)
It is interesting. When I see images from the supplier like the one below, I wonder why (and when) filter polishing is required.
I assume that polishing media must only apply to certain setups over others. i.e. if you have a large amount of biofiltration and it's mature, then the tank should be clear. Thus, is polishing media really aimed at smaller filters?

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 09.35.56.png

It is interesting. When I see images from the supplier like the one below, I wonder why (and when) filter polishing is required.
I assume that polishing media must only apply to certain setups over others. i.e. if you have a large amount of biofiltration and it's mature, then the tank should be clear. Thus, is polishing media really aimed at smaller filters?
@MichaelJ I'm glad you found it useful. I'm really happy with the 50 and 100 micron pads. I use mainly the 100 micron in my canister filter.

You will be surprised by how much stuff a 50 micron filter pad can pick up even though the water appears "clear" (of course one might ask why one would one to add additional mechanical filtration when the water is already clear... but to some, there is a difference between 'clear' and 'crystal clear') :)

filter-jpg.jpg

I also have a practical use case for 50 micron pads . After I scrape GDA off the glass, even with a water change, some GDA remains in the water column and it is too fine to be picked up by the regular sponges in your filter. This is where the 50micron filter pad excels!

I also have a practical use case for 50 micron pads . After I scrape GDA off the glass, even with a water change, some GDA remains in the water column and it is too fine to be picked up by the regular sponges in your filter. This is where the 50micron filter pad excels!
Ooooo. I like that idea. Will give that use case a go sometime!

Back