• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NatureScape - The End

View from above...

48114731463_e1b456413b_b.jpg

Thanks, no, just normal power. TBH the reactor has been on its last legs for some time and therefore not really producing much in the way of a mist, so I'm not sure it's actually doing much.
But I often find that once my scapes become biologically mature they gain a massive amount of stability; high plant biomass is key.
Just to emphasise the point, I've been pretty lazy with maintenance...it's only had two water changes in the last month.
Also most of the growth has been achieved with relatively moderate lighting...Twinstar S series on 60% for several months after start up for 6hr photoperiod. It's on 80% now and I've just started to ramp things up to see what I can get away with ;)

Sorry I was talking about the led not the sterilizer, but good to know.

My chihiros doctor is always on, I find it great at night to give o2 to my fishes.

60% power only on the twinstar, that might explain that your rotala aren't red yet. But well, less light less problem, mine is an 600E series, less power, less reds but tank is so easier :)

Sorry I was talking about the led not the sterilizer, but good to know.
Haha, of course, you did say SA...:rolleyes:
My chihiros doctor is always on, I find it great at night to give o2 to my fishes.
Me too...not sure about its algae busting capability...my rocks are spotless though.
60% power only on the twinstar, that might explain that your rotala aren't red yet. But well, less light less problem, mine is an 600E series, less power, less reds but tank is so easier :)
Yes, it's undoubtedly why my Rotala isn't red. That and over fertilising. It grows too quick to build up red pigment. So as well as increasing the intensity and photoperiod, I'm dosing less, and letting the AS do some of the work.

It’s summer and tank will likely run warmer and you’re going off on holidays ... I’d be conservative in my pursuit of the Reds :D

I’m betting none of those daredevils are offering to come house sit and sort out the algae’s whilst you’re off Walking :p

PS did you check out Filipe Oliveira’s FB page - he’s showing the 1month growth on the 2 rescapes ... check out those Colours
(and ask about lighting & fertilizers ;))

@alto, those are some pretty amazing scapes and colours. Filipe is by far my most favourite scaper, and easily one of the most talented, and he can grow the whatsit out of stems. I've watched his kitchen aquarium vlog on his fertz regime, not familiar with his lighting tho'. I'm guessing it's fairly intense...

@altoFilipe is by far my most favourite scaper, and easily one of the most talented, and he can grow the whatsit out of stems. I've watched his kitchen aquarium vlog on his fertz regime, not familiar with his lighting tho'. I'm guessing it's fairly intense...
Yes :thumbup:

His 60L home tank is Twinstar SP (though I believe it was a more local brand in previous scapes)
The 60L Aquaflora is Twinstar EA

I appreciate how he always tries to include aquarium details on the video
(and answers again in comments even when the info in already listed in the “drop down” ;) )

Yes :thumbup:

His 60L home tank is Twinstar SP (though I believe it was a more local brand in previous scapes)
The 60L Aquaflora is Twinstar EA

I appreciate how he always tries to include aquarium details on the video
(and answers again in comments even when the info in already listed in the “drop down” ;) )

I like Oliveiras style and attitude since I began Aquascaping, his 'bonsaï' scape inspired me at that time.

I have to say that his maintenance and ferts video was very hard to understand, I found his routine very messy and random (one Week npk, one Week iron micro?).

What I've learn is that main thing is good soil with use of nutrition caps, this gives the best results and allows you to dose very lean ferts in the water.:)

What I've learn is that main thing is good soil with use of nutrition caps, this gives the best results and allows you to dose very lean ferts in the water.:)

Think as long as nutrition is there for the plants in the water column or soil it doesn't matter the plants dont care where the nutrients come from or what brand you use. I was chatting with Clive about nutrition in my 500l and he summed it up quite well IMO

Mate, whenever someone shows me a spreadsheet or some on-line calculator I always feel a wave of nausea. I mean, really, why all the calculations? For your size tank why not just dump 2 teaspoons KNO3, 1 teaspoon of KH2PO4 3X per week and 1 teaspoon trace 2X per week. End of story. If you think you need Mg then just toss a couple teaspoons of the Epsom Salt in at water change. This is science, but it doesn't have to be Rocket Science. I just use the 2:1:1 rule and call it good. i don't even look at those stupid spreadsheets. It's just so energy sapping.

Think as long as nutrition is there for the plants in the water column or soil it doesn't matter the plants dont care where the nutrients come from or what brand you use. I was chatting with Clive about nutrition in my 500l and he summed it up quite well IMO
Haha...that's Clive all right, dispensing common sense wisdom :)
I have to say that his maintenance and ferts video was very hard to understand
It does appear to be quite complicated, but he's written it out in the comments below so it's a little easier to follow.
But it did make me smile a bit when he said he gives his wife the all in one fertz to dose when he's away...

:lol: I didn’t think it complicated ... it’s that laissez faire approach complicated somewhat by Filipe trying to provide a schedule in response to queries :cool:

I think ;)
(maybe I need to watch again o_O)

Back