• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raising brine shrimp to adults - is a cone useful?

Simon Cole

I acquired a large 15 litre office water cooler bottle, with a handle, and I have had the idea that it might make a good vessel for growing brine shrimp to adult size. It has a conical neck. I have seen a few video tutorials where people use conical vessels, although this is mostly for hatching. I wondered whether there might be any benefits to using one of these larger conical vessels for maturing brine shrimp. What do you think? :)

Yes, a cone is good, you can put an airstone at the bottom, and it keeps the brine shrimps swirling around with no corners to get stuck in. They need plenty of water movement.

A lot of people use an inverted pyramid, as you can DIY one from flat glass. Similar principle, with an airstone at the bottom.

Excellent. Thank you my friend :) I sense my next DIY project coming up. I presume they don't mind a fair bubbling?

No they don't, they seem to thrive on swirling about. And it will keep their food in suspension and bring the shrimps and food together. Green water is good for food, and yeast is useful for when your green water supply isn't doing so well.
I haven't raised any since moving house, perhaps I should add another DIY project to my list too. :)

I had a friend who set up a standard fish Polybox on a shed roof added salt to the correct level and added some eggs
They hatch and grew to adults
In fact that Polybox kept producing brine shrimp for a few years without him doing a single thing to it
It froze in winter and baked in summer overflowed with the amount of rain Manchester has

I also know a guy who owns a brine shrimp business he hatched out thousand each week to grow to adults to supply aquatic shops
He uses long rectangular ponds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back