• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Co2 not stable ???

How much do.you dose each day sorry for invading your thread

100ml dose for 500l tank or 10ml for 50L tank;) sometimes when you know the amount and why its in red you forget to mention it :arghh::banghead:- When I do a spreadsheet for values that I may change like the dose amount I set the font colour as red. Obviously I plan to change the ppm so get the figures from rotala butterfly enter the ppm I'm after and yield the dose then add the Element ppm to the spreadsheet and that does the maths

Thanks mate il.just half your amounts for a 500ml bottle and see how it goes cause yours looks amazing and your just dosing 3 times a week alternate macro micro

In this case, I think nutruients could be one of the issues. Not enough.
Your receipy is way reacher than the one I was using.
I'll try yours and see how it goes.

What Co2 valve are you using ?
Co2 Art don't seem to have as spare, only with regulators. There are some half decent ones on Amazon.

Just noticed, the dry salts are added to 1 litre of water ? Not 500ml. Is correct ?

Thanks for the recipe.
I did a quick calculation using Rotala Butterfly Nutrient Dosing Calculator v1.5.91 and I found my errors I did...
Compared to EI weekly target levels, I was dosing:

NO3 - 3.4% less
PO4 - 11.33% less
K - 28.13% less
Fe - 30% less

Mg - unknown, I was mixing with CaCl and was causing precipitation.
Also most probably the Fe was reacting with PO4, so real dose again not sure.

Based on your calculations and Nutrient Calculator, I got the following values:

The dry salts will be added to 1000 ml container for Macro (NPK), Micro and Ca.
upload_2019-7-9_12-26-25.png

Calcium will be dosed in the same day with Micros, 2-3h after.
New dosing schedule will be:

Monday - Micro + Ca
Tuesday - Macro
Wednesday - Micro + Ca
Thursday - Macro
Friday - 50% WC
Saturday - Micro
Sunday - Macro

Also thinking to upgrade the dosing pump to 4 channel and add 10ml of Easy Carbo / Seachem Excel daily.
This is the current dosing and the BBA seems to slow down.

I was chatting with Clive about ferts and a show him my spreadsheet

Mate, whenever someone shows me a spreadsheet or some on-line calculator I always feel a wave of nausea. I mean, really, why all the calculations? For your size tank why not just dump 2 teaspoons KNO3, 1 teaspoon of KH2PO4 3X per week and 1 teaspoon trace 2X per week. End of story. Ifyou think you need Mg then just toss a couple teaspoons of the Epsom Salt in at water change. This is science, but it doesn't have to be Rocket Science. I just use the 2:1:1 rule and call it good. i don't even look at those stupid spreadsheets. It's just so energy sapping.

which says it all in a way :lol: but each to their own methods, Not all my plants are healthy IMO but I am trying to get there, having Very Hard water does seem to make it harder to get it right from my reading around as the Ions in the hard water can change whats available to the plants, which is why most scapers use soft water or RO/tap water mix.

Tempted to use RO/tap mix myself but I do like a challenge so would like to find the fert mix which works with my tap water, just takes time as takes 6-8 weeks to see the results of any change.

Mine isnt the magic ppm its more of where I am at ATM

NUTRIENT DOSING THE 2HR AQUARIST'S GUIDE TO NUTRIENT DOSING FOR THE PLANTED AQUARIUM is a great read IMO - many thanks to D Wong

Why should be simple when we can make it complicated.

The spreadsheet, was just a way of complicating things and to have a comparison of the old and new recipe.
I can't use dry salts dumped in the tank, because I will forget. That is the reason why I got the doser.

My main problem is that I don't have too much patience and I want things to happen quickly, but also all the time I'm keep saying to myself good things are coming slow.

My water is at the edge between soft and very soft, it varies from 70 to 80 ppm, depending on the days. I do have a inline TDS meter to keep and eye on the water filtration system. It give me a indication of when is time to change the cartridges.
I do have a cold feed and drain behind the tank and the water mains goes thru a set of 1 sediment and 3 carbon filters straight to the tank. Also I have a pipe that supposed to be the emergency overflow that is used as drain. Both drain and refill are controlled by Profilux, via solenoid valves. One day will be fully automatic water change. Still work in progress after almost 6 months of stocked tank and 8 months of build. (long story).

What Co2 valve are you using ?
Co2 Art don't seem to have as spare, only with regulators. There are some half decent ones on Amazon.

upload_2019-7-9_17-48-10.png

But got two OFC

and the fittings
upload_2019-7-9_17-49-5.png

They was great with my custom order, not sure about the quality of different solenoid valves sold elsewhere

The spreadsheet, was just a way of complicating things and to have a comparison of the old and new recipe.
I can't use dry salts dumped in the tank, because I will forget. That is the reason why I got the doser.

Same here ;)

My water is at the edge between soft and very soft, it varies from 70 to 80 ppm,

So jealous :grumpy: are you sure you dont just have a RO feed to your house :angelic: easier to add to the water than take it away

Last time I checked didn't find any magic RO, was just a 100 years old lead pipe coming from a rusty cast iron pipe...

Just a quick update...
Got all piping spotless cleaned and ceramic diffusers soaked on H2O2 for 24h (spotless). The measured flow of filters increased from 480l/h to 570l/h (Oase) and from 680l/h to 780l/h (JBL), also added 2 Hydor Koralia Nano 1600l/h.
Advertised flow is now bumped to 6350l/h, real flow is close to 3500l/h.
Continuing to dose 12ml of Seachem Excel daily (dose spotting).

Since adding the wavemakers, the movement in the tank changed dramatically.
I saw deutirius rasing from areas that I presumed were clean.
Hopefully the Co2 distribution is better now.

I need to try this.
I have the JBL aquaEx and I use it to siphon the substrate, but doesn't reach in very well in the corners and tight spots.

Last Friday, I did the weekley WC and I was totally impressed. The front glass was almost spotless. The GSA was almost nonexistent, I spent not even 5min to achieve a zero algae on glass.
The plants are doing OK, the algae are not so present as used to be, the BBA is turning white (never achieved that in the past).
What I noticed, the new growth are completely algae free.

What I changed, I increased the dosing regime to reach full EI, at the moment I'm dosing almost 30ppm/week of No3, 6ppm/week of K2HPo4 and 30ppm of K, divided in daily doses.
Micro and macro are dosed every day, 4 hour apart and micro on one side of the tank and macro on the opposite side.
Lights are reduced to 5h/day (4pm till 9pm).
Co2 is on the ph controller, set to 6.2ph day and night. Fish seems to be fine and they don't bother with the new regime.

Back