• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to Sand and in need of some direction

Pearpearl

Seedling
Hello my fellow hobbyists.

I am new to sand as a substrate and I'm very confused about what type to go for. Most importantly is that it's inert because my stocking (Discus) are sensitive to changes to PH. But what I'm finding frustrating is the "blown around in the current factor.

I have a 130Gal tank and use power heads and an FX6 for circulation. Both the return outlet and PH are closer to the surface of the tank but I'm worried that once in the tank the sand will be constantly displaced.

Any advice would be grand.

Thanks

Pearpearl
Most importantly is that it's inert because my stocking (Discus) are sensitive to changes to PH. But what I'm finding frustrating is the "blown around in the current factor.

My question to you is why use it? I assume being a Discus it will also be a planted tank.
I would then suggest a 1-3mm natural gravel and use a quality Fert Tabs.

Keith:wave::wave:

Hi all,
I am new to sand as a substrate and I'm very confused about what type to go for. ..........But what I'm finding frustrating is the "blown around in the current factor.
I'm a sand fan. Any dead leaves, or faeces, sits on top of it and can be syphoned out.

Having said that I'd definitely have a sponge pre-filter on the intake, if sand gets into the filter it will cause rapid impeller etc wear.
Discus are not great fans of current
Same for me, I'd wouldn't want a whirl-pool effect. Lots of water tun-over is fine as long as the flow is diffused.
Most importantly is that it's inert.
You just want 100% silica sand, it won't raise hardness, it is totally inert. Pool filter sand would be ideal.

I'm really keen on <"Structural Leaf litter"> as well.
....because my stocking (Discus) are sensitive to changes to PH.
Changes in pH is a bit of a funny one, pH is a really strange measurement, you want soft water for Discus and that will always show variations in pH. This is totally natural and exactly what happens in nature. There is a more complete explanation in <"TDS and remineralising...">.

I'm not a Discus keeper but I like a planted tank for all "black-water" fish. A lot of what you read about Discus in the wild about them living in water with no aquatic plants etc isn't really true. Discus are collected at low water, because you can't collect them otherwise, once the water rises they've dispersed through the flooded forest, which is a true wetland, just with very big plants.

Have a look at this thread on <"Apistogramma forums">.

cheers Darrel

Hey guys

I don't have a whirlpool effect in the tank. An FX6 and a mid power range power head is not going to create anything more than the gentlest of currents. Right now the flow is just enough to prevent dead spots. I tried quoting all of you but for some reason it's not working for me?

Does anyone have any links to sand I can purchase that fit my requirements?

Thanks guys

@dw1305 the sand you linked me to doesn't specify whether or not it's inert but the grade info is crucial so thanks

@jkh13 I don't have the grade size with any of the sand in the link.

Finally got quotes to work

Not all inert. Their coral sand for instance, raises hardness and pH, for when that's what you need.

I've exhausted amazon and haven't found a single product that is the grade I need and inert with some reviews. It's harder than it seems and I'm usually really good at looking for things but this seems like some type of conundrum.

I'm still yet to find a product that comes close. I need about 25KG if anyone has a link to sand which is of the heavier/larger grain please post it here.

Back