• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Re-education.....

If you were thinking of replacing this tank, what would you replace it with?....

• Total voters
Red tiger lotus, instead of the ludwigia, would look insanely good in your scape.

Good job on that added Wood, works great! ;)

That bolbitis on the right could do some
Trim.

Some marsilea crenata or even hirsuta planted around the rocks in the sand could add detail and make it more natural.

Just some suggestions, to make this nice tank even nicer, would love to work with an big tank like this one day. Need to convince wifey first and then find an easy WC solution like you did! :)

Looking immense ady, great return to the planted like.
Have to agree with Cookies, think a red nyphea would work brilliantly at the back instead of ludwigia.
Loving the mix of sucker mouths. Keep it up mate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately nowhere to plant a lily :D

Been in a downward spiral again and a few days ago it literally looked disgusting, substrate was filthy, thread algae had taken over and plants were overgrown, however three evenings maintenance has left it looking bearable again. It’s not exactly setting the world alight with plant growth and health but then again it doesn’t get the love and attention it needs. Slow way of aquascaping is the only way for me it seems anyway as I can’t commit to heavy maintenance.
On a positive note, the fish are happy :cigar:

B553399E-DCB2-4AD6-BB2F-3BA1B5FD8C72.jpeg

Cheerio.

Still looks amazing though ady
Cheers
Jay
Thanks Jay, tbh it’s the mosses that are in the worst health, the rest look ok at a distance and the buces are filling in nicely.

What would happen if you reduce the light very gradually ( in this case i would start increasing distance between lamp and tank), certainly would reduce maintenance required.
Yeah, the lights are only at 60% intensity, however I could reduce that a little. I don’t really want to raise the physical height as the light spill will increase in the room. I may try a 5% decrease in intensity, however I do believe my problems are self inflicted with a distinct laziness in maintenance and often inconsistent fertiliser routine :oops:. Relitively Low plant mass may also be a contributing factor. This really is by no means a high maintenance tank, I just need to commit more regular time.

Cheerio,

:greenfinger:What is this little addition in the emoticons? :D Wabi kusa, greenfinger :cool:

substrate was filthy, thread algae had taken over and plants were overgrown

I was so keen to see this photo :lol:

I suspect the moss is a bit of a contributor- it seems not to have really established but is grand at trapping debris - and tank is lacking sufficient stems to help balance tank while you’re off elsewhere ... maybe add in some H zosterfolia (it never seems to root extensively so should be easy to gradually remove)

Add some Stiphodon species to stir sand and clean up algae as it’s occurring?

I was so keen to see this photo :lol:

I suspect the moss is a bit of a contributor- it seems not to have really established but is grand at trapping debris - and tank is lacking sufficient stems to help balance tank while you’re off elsewhere ... maybe add in some H zosterfolia (it never seems to root extensively so should be easy to gradually remove)

Add some Stiphodon species to stir sand and clean up algae as it’s occurring?
Yeah, something is off balance as plant health is not optimum nor has it been. A lack of shrimp population effects the mosses in particular I’ve found but the Congo’s find them a tasty snack so they aren’t at their most efficient in this tank. I did add some rotala green a while ago to try to help balance things out however it never established either making me realise something is out of kilter.

I should have taken a before shot but unfortunately didn’t.......I’m sure it won’t be too long until I get the opportunity again :eek::p:oops:

Same old.....

DC873057-85AE-478F-87A9-482BF90CE5D9.jpeg

Depending on other fish, various livebearers such as guppy, molly, platy (there are some stunning colors available now) etc will usually spend their day plant tidying

i always found that fissidens was more hassle than it's worth after a while and holds a lot of detritus/algae magnet

replaced it with riccardia and it's much cleaner in general in the tank

Yeah, something is off balance as plant health is not optimum nor has it been. A lack of shrimp population effects the mosses in particular I’ve found but the Congo’s find them a tasty snack so they aren’t at their most efficient in this tank. I did add some rotala green a while ago to try to help balance things out however it never established either making me realise something is out of kilter.

I should have taken a before shot but unfortunately didn’t.......I’m sure it won’t be too long until I get the opportunity again :eek::p:oops:

Same old.....

View attachment 126490

Ady,

great tank.
I've really enjoyed reading this one start to finish, the fish choices was my favorite bit haha.
I'm dreadful with fish choice and would of ended up with some rainbow snakeheads!!

Or if i was being more sensible, a lvery large gang of pencil fish and a Male + Harem of one of the very brightly colored dwarf cichlids - tripple red cacatuoides (think you may have kept these before?) or similar.

anyway, thanks for sharing and must say it is very inspiring. Good to see one of the older names popping up again.

:greenfinger:What is this little addition in the emoticons? :D Wabi kusa, greenfinger :cool:
I have just found out about the sad passing of a well respected and passionate member of the forum and the significance of this emoticon as a sign of respect to Roy Smith, greenfingers. Rest in peace Roy.

i always found that fissidens was more hassle than it's worth after a while and holds a lot of detritus/algae magnet

replaced it with riccardia and it's much cleaner in general in the tank
I had both in my NAtural Jurassic tank and shrimp made a huge difference to the cleanliness of both. The fissidens I have now grows less healthy however is a much larger variant than the one I used to have but either way it is definitely a detrius trap without the benefit of hundreds of shrimp to maticulously clean it. The Riccardia didn’t take in this tank.

Ady,

great tank.
I've really enjoyed reading this one start to finish, the fish choices was my favorite bit haha.
I'm dreadful with fish choice and would of ended up with some rainbow snakeheads!!

Or if i was being more sensible, a lvery large gang of pencil fish and a Male + Harem of one of the very brightly colored dwarf cichlids - tripple red cacatuoides (think you may have kept these before?) or similar.

anyway, thanks for sharing and must say it is very inspiring. Good to see one of the older names popping up again.
:lol: The pencil fish and dwarf cichlids would have been fine, the snakeheads maybe not :lol:
As much as the tank isn’t in perfect health, when it’s tidied up it still offers a lot of pleasure and I do like the plants, I guess it’s having something in your home that fits your lifestyle. High energy would definitely be a no go for me.
I guess the beauty of UKAPS is it’s longevity and accessibility made so by the ever open armed members who make you feel right at home even after a long break away :happy: Its great that long standing members such as yourself are still active also :thumbup:

Hi ady i am back also and thinking i want to try again soon, we were both on here very often, tank is looking great and hope to speak more soon i will be keeping eye on thread

Cheers dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back