• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

48x24x24 high tech dirted

When is a good time to trim my hairgrass? On my large water change at the weekend or is that too early after flooding?
They are starting to look messy and it's driving me crazy

It depends :D

Some (Mark Evans) trim Eleocharis, Lilaeopsis back upon planting - under good growth conditions, you’ll see new growth quickly
Others prefer to wait for new growth to replace old emerse leafs - I often do this, but then sometimes regret the choice as the old emerse leafs may brown (alright it’s the usual gold grass color) but remain “attached” to the rootstock, now I don’t like to trim as it’s impossible not to also cut new growth (or I just lack dexterity and patience :oops: )

Any obviously damaged leafs should be remover sooner (for all plants)

Filipe Oliveira often trims early on - and demonstrates Lilaeopsis vertical trim method in this video

Hi all,

Struggling a little with my ph profile. I know my sample tap water is 7.8. (Water left in a beaker for approx 2 hours). I have changed my co2 to come on 3 hours before lights and I get a 1.1 drop in ph but as you can see it then drops further.

How do i keep it stable when the injection rate stays the same throughout?
Flow seems to be fine, drop checker a nice lime green almost transparent.

I started to see algae on the anubias leaves so have turned the lights down a bit, currently on 50% power for 6 hours including the 25min ramp up and down.
1417dfa6bc9fd4646223a414349620e2.jpg
During this hot weather will the temperature of the water play a role in making my ph profile hard work? I'm thinking if co2 dissolves better in lower temps then higher temps mean the ph of the water will be higher with the same injection rate?
Or am I completely misunderstanding it all?

3 weeks since flooding. No crypt melt. Plants have adapted well I think. Slight dusting of algae on a few plant leaves and a little at the front in the carpet.
Wood has plenty of mould but I've been trying to remove during water changes.

Still trying to sort my ph profile but I have time as I'm in no rush to stock.

The hairgrass carpet isn't as green as I'd like but I think that it may be time for that first trim soon as it's sending out new runners.
38420d6480e99fe686cc527ee065fa08.jpg
25f6172c98bfe329180eef07de4c6e37.jpg
85112e0b962ba9572ab487f799d4a978.jpg
81e955a54e68cb69db3871739dd2b95a.jpg

Few more plants added,
Bucephalandra sp red
Anubias petite
Hygrophila pinnafatida
Hygrophila siamensis 53b

Also added 10 oto catfish, who seem to be enjoying the tank to themselves.
5d4f882307b0e97477a3798596972ecf.jpg
3b0bd007bed6b76b601fa6fd60b70ccc.jpg
ca49dee899c7fad1c44c56bc2872a74c.jpg
c3179e98d2f96a860bfbc7e5a055de00.jpg

Might be a good time to add some Aminos and/or RCS ;)
Got some RCS breeding in a 40l at the mo. Will start introducing them soon. Few very small ones in there now so leaving them be for a while.

Trying to find a good price for amanos, lfs is 4 quid each which seems a little steep imho.

Trying to find a good price for amanos, lfs is 4 quid each which seems a little steep imho.

IDD, I get Amanos for £2.00 each with a bulk buy ;) I just asked how many do I need to buy to get your lowest price

IDD, I get Amanos for £2.00 each with a bulk buy ;) I just asked how many do I need to buy to get your lowest price
I'll try that. How many do you think i need if I have a decent amount of RCS?

Well the amanos are pretty big when fully grown IMO I have 50ish in 500l tank, but the RCS are pretty small just need to let them get established and breeding, recon I must have 500-1000 RCS in my 500l tank, it did take some time to get to that population size, plus depends on what fish you put in their, my SAE started eating them so relocation was required. Paid £2.00 for the RCS also and got pretty decent reds.

That's quite a few shrimp

I'm hoping I can choose my fish selection wisely to avoid any of the shrimp becoming dinner.

I have a healthy, or unhealthy (depending on your pov) snail population that is helping keep things tidy.

That's quite a few shrimp
emoji44.png

Amanos was all purchased OFC but the RCS are mainly what has breed in the tank, I must get about 40 RCS out of the filter when I clean it weekly ;) But the sooner the RCS are introduced the better IMO many hands make light work

Amanos was all purchased OFC but the RCS are mainly what has breed in the tank, I must get about 40 RCS out of the filter when I clean it weekly ;) But the sooner the RCS are introduced the better IMO many hands make light work
I'll add them soon. And try to get a decent price too

Hi guys,

After a bit of help as to why my sagittaria subulata is browning and dying off in places in my carpet.
As u can see from the picture the other plants look fine around the dying ones IMO.

It's cleared an area of a saucer that was nicely grown in.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bf441371b16aed0a0788b38c3c64fb9c.jpg

I worry the flow is too much as I am researching stocking options at the moment.....

Full EI via jebao dosing pump. Alternate days of 90ml.
All food from Aquarium plant food, dissolved into 2, 4 pint milk bottles.

Back