• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java Fern growth on leaves

EA James

upload_2019-8-19_21-59-48.jpeg

Evening all,
Can someone tell me what this growth is on my java fern, they’re quite a few of these on various leaves
Should I be concerned?
Thanks

Concur with Darrel.

There is probably some filamentous diatoms on those roots. No need to do anything tho.

It also depends a bit.. :) Is it an already addapted mature plant in submersed form. Than it's simply how it propagates.

If it a plant in stress, in transition and yet not addapted to its new invironment. Than i have to guess a little why but than it could be a stress induced survival mode.

I experienced that once with rather large ferns i bought that all were grown in a High Tech CO² invironment. Very large and healty plants.. Did put them all in my low tech tank and the plants start propagating like mad and within 2 months all mature old leaves were dead and gone and i was left behind with a bud load of baby java ferns.

The change was to much for the plants to handle and addapt.

H all, Plants for free are always a good thing. Often the Java Fern produces these new plants when you move it (or go from emersed to submerged), but then it settles down and just grows new leaves.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for your help again, appreciate it :)

It also depends a bit.. :) Is it an already addapted mature plant in submersed form. Than it's simply how it propagates.

Thanks for your reply and explanation, I bought it as a mother plant. It’s been in the tank for nearly 6 weeks now and it’s the only plant that doesn’t seem to have any browning of the leaves

Back